Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM

146 posts, read 626,097 times

Advertisements

Does the state offer any assistance/breaks for people who can't afford obscene property taxes? For example in cases where people are elderly, no income, house paid off - but still have to make payments on taxes that in some areas range from 20-40K for larger properties.
It is not the fault of the individual who's paid all their mortage related expenses and contributions to society - it's a question of the state burdening it's citizens with tax bills many can't afford.
We give breaks to those in foreclosure, and now Obamacare for those who don't work, unemployment benefits - what about those in the middle or in cases like this?

Rhetorical question I guess..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,598 times
No, sell your house if you can't afford it.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
This is certainly one reason some people choose to retire to other states or at the lesat downsize.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
There is a program that helps the elderly on low fixed income. It basically locks your tax rate to what it is when you qualified for SS. So if you became eligible for SS in 1985 and are considered low income, you're still paying the same real estate taxes as you locked in in 1985. The purpose of this rule was to prevent seniors from being forced out of the state to cheaper states.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
No, sell your house if you can't afford it.
Except many houses are not selling. In this case this is not the fault of someone who bought a house that is beyond their means and got greedy. Bought a house decades ago, paid mortage over 30 years and now burdened with tax bills that we all know are excessive.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There is a program that helps the elderly on low fixed income. It basically locks your tax rate to what it is when you qualified for SS. So if you became eligible for SS in 1985 and are considered low income, you're still paying the same real estate taxes as you locked in in 1985. The purpose of this rule was to prevent seniors from being forced out of the state to cheaper states.
Thanks, that's interesting.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubileefd View Post
Does the state offer any assistance/breaks for people who can't afford obscene property taxes? For example in cases where people are elderly, no income, house paid off - but still have to make payments on taxes that in some areas range from 20-40K for larger properties.
It is not the fault of the individual who's paid all their mortage related expenses and contributions to society - it's a question of the state burdening it's citizens with tax bills many can't afford.
We give breaks to those in foreclosure, and now Obamacare for those who don't work, unemployment benefits - what about those in the middle or in cases like this?

Rhetorical question I guess..
Yes, sometimes senior citizens can get a tax break. I know they do it in my hometown, because my mother's friend gets a break (so does my mom, but because she's the widow of a 100% DAV), but I'm not sure if it's on the municipal level or what.

Yes, it's easy to sit there and point a cold finger and say "sell your house", but for some of these elderly people, they have lived in that house for a half century or more. Their church is there, their family and friends are close by, and it's not a piece of cake to pick yourself up at 83 and move someplace new where you don't know anyone. That could be a death sentence. These people paid the taxes and made the town what it was in prep for all those who decided it would be a great place to live in later years. Give them a break and let them live out their lives in their homes.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,598 times
Yes lets give everyone breaks.

Where is my break for paying into SS I will never be able to collect?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
NJ has a Homnstead Benefit for those over 65 to help with property taxes

NJ Division of Taxation - Homestead Benefit Information for Homeowners Age 65 or Older and/or Disabled

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Yes lets give everyone breaks.

Where is my break for paying into SS I will never be able to collect?
Wow, bitter much?

If you read what I wrote, my reasoning is IF we give plenty of breaks to those who made poor financial decisions or are in bad situation for whatever reason then why is this not the case for individuals who are in situations that are no fault of their own. In the case I describe it is the STATE that made poor financial decision and is passing it on to citizens who took care of their own books and payments and now being saddled with high bills so the STATE can pay it's own bloated payroll bills.

I am not one to support handouts or "breaks", trust me. But in some cases where people are being robbed, it makes sense to speak up and ask. Plus your oh so helpful suggestion to "just sell" is not realistic right? Market is tanked. The burden is disproportionate and is hitting those who had no part in the problem. And paying into SS that you can't collect, fine that's a fair complaint that is being debated ad nauseum by our political friends and media pundits. I am raising a question on a issue that I never hear discussed. If it annoys you, then don't read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey