Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1970 View Post
Thanks BrianG, I've heard that Rahway was positioning itself as the "next Hoboken" (this is the same Rahway near Elizabeth, NJ in Union correct). Thanks for the suggestion. The commute into NYC seems fair (via NJtransit) and it is still close to NJ's major cities like Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey City/Hoboken.

don't hold your breath! (pun intended) the promoters of places like rahway hope that as places like hoboken price out people the spill over will come to them. Take a ride to Rahway, note the refinaries and chemical plants, check out scenic 1/9 and then decide if you think the place is on the cusp of greatness.
Jersey City has some interesting places and the area around grove st has improved vastly, maybe the OP should check out that area, it is diverse ( both good and bad) and has some intersting night spots (1 or 2) and is quite close to hoboken ( under $ 5 via cab)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 110,940 times
Yeah I would have totally recommended Montclair, (after working there for 6 years and attending university there), but it really is more of a family-oriented place.

West New York is definitely going through gentrification but still maintains its old-school ideals. You'll see it through the businesses and people. But as a 24 yr old white guy from Wayne (soon to be relocating into Manhattan) I feel very safe walking the streets around at night around those parts when trying to find an open late night food spot to cure a potential hangover from friends parties

Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM

176 posts, read 278,590 times
How`s a split level in Mahwah, NJ ? It`s a Split level house in Mahwah, NJ on a half acre off of Island Road on route 17. Possible Lease to own. If seriously interested please message me privately.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1970 View Post
Thanks BrianG, I've heard that Rahway was positioning itself as the "next Hoboken" (this is the same Rahway near Elizabeth, NJ in Union correct). Thanks for the suggestion. The commute into NYC seems fair (via NJtransit) and it is still close to NJ's major cities like Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey City/Hoboken.
Yes Elizabeth is about 10-15 min away

Here is a link you can check out

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/re...=y&oref=slogin

Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
don't hold your breath! (pun intended) the promoters of places like rahway hope that as places like hoboken price out people the spill over will come to them. Take a ride to Rahway, note the refinaries and chemical plants, check out scenic 1/9 and then decide if you think the place is on the cusp of greatness.
Jersey City has some interesting places and the area around grove st has improved vastly, maybe the OP should check out that area, it is diverse ( both good and bad) and has some intersting night spots (1 or 2) and is quite close to hoboken ( under $ 5 via cab)
FYI
There are no refinaries in Rahway
There is no prison in Rahway (just in case anybody brings that one up)
The only chemical co is Merck which is in both Rahway and Linden
Scenic 1-9 runs throughout Ne Nj even up to Jersey City
And you are right
The OP should take a ride , But actually come into Rahway
And see what is going on Downtown by the train station, Take a ride in The Inman Hgts section,The Milton Lake section The Hospital Section

Rahway is a lot more than that little stretch of scenic 1-9 (which is under reconstruction also )you pass by

And maybe you should also take a drive so you would know what you are talking about instead of just judging by a little stretch of road

Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,852 times
Quote:
I would highly recommend West New York/Weehawken/Union City... you'll find that its a very urban walkable community, some parts gentrified, other parts not. Excellent views of the Manhattan skyline, and yet minutes away from nightlife in Hoboken/J.C. and Manhattan.
Yes. I lived in WNY (Port Imperial) for a couple years and loved it. The light rail will take you right into JC and Hoboken to go out at night, but you can come home to a more quiet place.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
FYI
There are no refinaries in Rahway
There is no prison in Rahway (just in case anybody brings that one up)
The only chemical co is Merck which is in both Rahway and Linden
Scenic 1-9 runs throughout Ne Nj even up to Jersey City
And you are right
The OP should take a ride , But actually come into Rahway
And see what is going on Downtown by the train station, Take a ride in The Inman Hgts section,The Milton Lake section The Hospital Section

Rahway is a lot more than that little stretch of scenic 1-9 (which is under reconstruction also )you pass by

And maybe you should also take a drive so you would know what you are talking about instead of just judging by a little stretch of road

ok the prison is in woodbridge, a stones throw from rahway. and bayway is not in town but close enough to get a wiff of, and all those fine hotels and gas stations, wow it neve ends!
the point is that it is far from being anything nice, people live there because they have to, not too many people aspire to move up to rahway.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
The perfect place for you is Englewood, NJ. If you are looking for diversity this is your place

It has lots of rich whites on one side of town, blacks on the other, and hispanics are moving in. The surrounding towns which are right next door have lots of whites, and different asians. There is a nice korean supermarket in the downtown, so you will see lots of asians around. There is even a ice rink in town that only the whites really use.

Or you know what try bergenfield. Not that many blacks there, but it has filipinos, indians, muslims, whites, and hispanics.

The rents are still pretty decent in these areas, as they are not upper class.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,417 times
hey.. i lived in 84th st & York ave in Manhattan.. so i think I know what you are looking for.. a place that's safe, affordable, get more for the $ and convenient but still within minutes to NYC... also you don't want to move into a suburb or a place where people are not walking around.. well I wanted the same so I moved to Elizabeth.. I love it here.. I work @ 30 Rock sometimes.. and catching the 112 or 113 or even the NJTransit train is very easy.. commute is about 25-30 mins.. I actually bought a couple of houses and building my future home.. anywhere else it would be almost impossible.. many people here don't know what's to live in a city environment, so i would recommend to drive by the areas and see for yourself... but do not discard Elizabeth as it is one of the few places that it is still affordable.. .. if you have any question on areas in elizabeth just send me a message.. good luck!!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 AM

17 posts, read 78,635 times
Jstar41, your correct in your description of Elizabeth..I had a friend of mine drive me around Elizabeth yesterday and there are some really nice sections, especially Elmora. Elmora Hills, N. Elizabeth, Bayway, and Westminster. We went down to the Elizabethport section and saw the new developments going up and I even hear that a ferry service to Manhattan is in the works. Even the economically challenged area weren't as bad (I've seen worse in sections of NYC). Being a resident of NYS (NYC and Buffalo) I really like the urban feel of the place.

My friend lives in Edison and works at Trinitas Hospital and he informed me that Morris Avenue, Elizabeth Avenue, and Elmora Avenue have great ethnic restaurants and an emerging night life. I liked the blue collar fill of the place and the neighborhoods were very quiet. I will defiantly keep Elizabeth in mind, along with Hudson County.

BrianG, you are correct... Rahway has some very nice sections (kinda reminds me of sections of Queens) I esp. liked the emerging downtown section of the city.

Decisions, Decisions...I wasn't aware that NJ had so many nice urban areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey