Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,619 times

Advertisements

Moving to NJ; i work in somerset and my spouse in midtown NYC;
We have 15 months old kid, so day care will be a consideration too;

Preference - nice rental apt complex, safe community, and commute to work (door to door) should not be more than 45 mins or at max 60 mins for both of us (considering peak hr rush);

Would prefer 2 BR 2 Bath for not more than 1800.

Please share recommendations on places in Nj that suit my needs.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
I would suggest that you look for rentals in Woodbridge Township, which encompassess Iselin, Avenel, Fords, Woodbridge "proper", and a few other zip codes.
There is good RR access to NYC, and the drive time from Woodbridge to Somerset is approximately 40 minutes during commuting hours.
Edison is also a possibility.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I would suggest that you look for rentals in Woodbridge Township, which encompassess Iselin, Avenel, Fords, Woodbridge "proper", and a few other zip codes.
There is good RR access to NYC, and the drive time from Woodbridge to Somerset is approximately 40 minutes during commuting hours.
Edison is also a possibility.
Agreed.

I take train at Jersey Ave (5 min drive), and get to my office on 34th st in 1:20 door to seat. In order to cut that down to an hour or so you need to be in the Edison/Metropark area.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM

264 posts, read 606,069 times
With one parent working in NYC and a young child in daycare, makes sense for other parent to not have a long commute. Moving to Edison/Metropark doesn't cut down NYC commute that much, so it might be better that the other parent have a really tiny commute. Why not stay in Somerset itself?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Agreed.

I take train at Jersey Ave (5 min drive), and get to my office on 34th st in 1:20 door to seat. In order to cut that down to an hour or so you need to be in the Edison/Metropark area.

I think that this may have confused the OP more than it helped.

The OP needs to know that "Jersey Avenue" refers to a NJ Transit RR station in the city of New Brunswick, which is several towns south of Woodbridge (further away from NYC). Apparently this person's home is only 5 minutes away from that particular RR station, but that information is not really relevant to living in Woodbridge.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I think that this may have confused the OP more than it helped.

The OP needs to know that "Jersey Avenue" refers to a NJ Transit RR station in the city of New Brunswick, which is several towns south of Woodbridge (further away from NYC). Apparently this person's home is only 5 minutes away from that particular RR station, but that information is not really relevant to living in Woodbridge.
How was I confusing? OP asked where to live, between Somerset and NYC with a 1 hour commute to NYC. Someone suggested Woodbridge area, i concurred and explained that since I take the train a few stops further south, and it takes me 1:20, then Woodbridge Metropark area would do it in under an hour. What was confusing about that?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
How was I confusing? OP asked where to live, between Somerset and NYC with a 1 hour commute to NYC. Someone suggested Woodbridge area, i concurred and explained that since I take the train a few stops further south, and it takes me 1:20, then Woodbridge Metropark area would do it in under an hour. What was confusing about that?
Because you DIDN'T mention where the Jersey Avenue station is located, either in terms of the municipality or in terms of where it is in relation to Woodbridge or Edison.

I know that you know what you meant, but when communicating information to someone who lives in another state or another country, you need to assume that they don't know the local geography, and that they surely don't know where a RR station is located unless you identify the municipality where it is located.

For that matter, the OP may not even know which municipality 34th Street is located in.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-19-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM

24 posts, read 32,179 times
east rutherford and rutherford are both walkable to trains and busses to nyc and prob about 30 min from somerset very nice areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey