Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM

456 posts, read 832,881 times

Advertisements

What about NJ do you like?

For me, I like that it has a bit of everything, wilderness, quiet suburbs, bigger/more ethnic urban areas, diversity, proximity to NYC and Philadelphia. All this in a rather small area, so it's all rather accessible. I've always liked the Northeast area especially. Well I've grown up in NJ, so I may have a bias, but I think many people can agree with me. I also for some reason, really liked the Newark airport area, the ports, the meadowlands, the Manhattan skyline, I don't know why, but always liked it - a weird liking maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Easy life.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
It's nice to be so close to major cities like New York and Philly, and at the same time you have the shore for fun and the Gap for nature. I suppose you are correct in that NJ has a little bit of everything. If only the cost of living here was manageable.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
What about NJ do you like?

For me, I like that it has a bit of everything, wilderness, quiet suburbs, bigger/more ethnic urban areas, diversity, proximity to NYC and Philadelphia. All this in a rather small area, so it's all rather accessible. I've always liked the Northeast area especially. Well I've grown up in NJ, so I may have a bias, but I think many people can agree with me. I also for some reason, really liked the Newark airport area, the ports, the meadowlands, the Manhattan skyline, I don't know why, but always liked it - a weird liking maybe...
Jobs...other than that...can't stand it. Roads are awful, weather is awful, people are awful, taxes are awful, graffiti is awful.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Natural treasure hidden in plain view and millions of myopic residents and visitors and tourism markerters.

The result is a border to border smorgasboard of wildlife and wild places devoid of humans.

A deer a day from September to February archery season. A centerfire rifle groundhog hunting season.....and the toughest gun laws in the country except in the cities where exemptions are granted as demonstrated by high murder rates.

NJ is the only state, where after an election, no one admits to having voted for the winner. NJ is a political mecca and gourmet feeding trough for everyone else other than taxpayers.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times
Mainly that my whole family lives here. Otherwise I'd strongly consider moving.

I will admit, I do like the change in seasons, and the close proximity to both a shore and a big city, but those 2 things could be obtainanble in other locations as well, ideally with lower taxes.

It's my family that keeps us instate.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
I think the only good areas of NJ are the underrated nature preserves and hidden suburbs that are in close proximity to NYC. There are a good amount of areas such as these, but when people think NJ they never come to mind.

There is also a ton of things I DISPISE about NJ: high taxes, corruption, the shore culture, the overrated and expensive gold coast, elite and status driven people, the high amount of urban decay, slow gentrification, the bitchy women, awful highways, bad weather.

I know for myself that NJ is not long term sustainable. I'll be out of here soon.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
What's it to you ?!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,602 times
FOOD!

Every kind of ethnic food available, close to NYC so close to every kind of ethnic food and fancy hipster experimental food stuff. I can just walk downtown Hackensack and go to one of the Hispanic places and it's always novel and delicious.
Plus our small towns/cities are quite pretty and walkable without all the crowdedness of NYC. All the chumps in houses keep the demand up and allow each downtown to have at least one storefront of every daily necessity (supermarket, quick stop, laundromat, tailor, gym, etc.), but it's never actually crowded anywhere. So if you live downtown in an apartment it's like living in NYC in terms of the convenience and walkability, but without the crowdedness, and without the price!
Plus there's the train, which is a lovely ride, nice way to get into NYC

In general living in the tri-state area, especially Jersey which is quite dense, allows you to explore whatever passion you're interested in. I've always wanted to learn dancing and boxing, and it wasn't hard for me to find places to do so, even after I moved to a different are on the weekdays, and they're all quite close (the places where I learn).

One day, when I've gotten as much education as I want, and I've gotten good at the dancing and boxing, and I found my wife, and I actually have free time on my hands, I'll lock my car keys somewhere, breathe a sigh of relief, and WALK everywhere, and say hi to every person on the way.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
All things considered, I’d rather be in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey