Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:44 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiree67 View Post
Thank you so much.. I don't even know if the toll booths are located in the entrance or at the exit or both?

Based on what you said..a round-trip will cost me $4.50... WOW! I have never lived in an area where we have to pay tolls..so I will have to get used to it.. LOL
Moving to NJ might not be a good idea for you. If $4.50 in tolls shocks you, don't ever drive to New York City, OK? Or anywhere too far from where you live.

How are you going to GET here without paying tolls? Are you taking back roads all the way up? That will take you at least a week.

Sometimes there are toll booths at the exit/entrance ramps. Sometimes they are on the highway itself. You will get plenty of notice. Why are you so worried about this? At your age, if worrying in advance about a toll booth makes you this nervous, how did you get through life?

Not trying to be sarcastic here. Your posts are perplexing. If you don't mind my asking, where are you coming from, and why are you moving to a place like New Jersey that's one of the most expensive places to live in the country if that's not what you are used to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM

37 posts, read 66,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Moving to NJ might not be a good idea for you. If $4.50 in tolls shocks you, don't ever drive to New York City, OK? Or anywhere too far from where you live.

How are you going to GET here without paying tolls? Are you taking back roads all the way up? That will take you at least a week.

Sometimes there are toll booths at the exit/entrance ramps. Sometimes they are on the highway itself. You will get plenty of notice. Why are you so worried about this? At your age, if worrying in advance about a toll booth makes you this nervous, how did you get through life?

Not trying to be sarcastic here. Your posts are perplexing. If you don't mind my asking, where are you coming from, and why are you moving to a place like New Jersey that's one of the most expensive places to live in the country if that's not what you are used to?
I just need answers to my questions. I don't need criticism..thanks

If you don't want to help without sarcasm ..then don't.

Last edited by Retiree67; 08-19-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I just need answers to my questions. I don't need criticism..thanks

If you don't want to help without sarcasm ..then don't.
I specifically stated that I was not being sarcastic. You have the right not to answer the questions if you don't want to, but if you are going to post odd statements that will raise obvious questions, it's not fair to turn around and play annoyed when the obvious questions get asked.

Anyway, glad I could help. Hope driving through toll booths is manageable for ya.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I specifically stated that I was not being sarcastic. You have the right not to answer the questions if you don't want to, but if you are going to post odd statements that will raise obvious questions, it's not fair to turn around and play annoyed when the obvious questions get asked.

Anyway, glad I could help. Hope driving through toll booths is manageable for ya.
Odd statements? Because I was shocked about the tolls cost? Well, it is shocking for someone who lived most of their life in California..where there is no tolls. You jumped to conclusion that it's a money issue..that I couldn't afford it...LOL. If you took the time to read my response carefully..you would have gotten the point..

Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
If you think the tolls are expensive, try going to Brooklyn via Outerbridge or Goethels.....$25 which includes the Verrazano Bridge.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
If you think the tolls are expensive, try going to Brooklyn via Outerbridge or Goethels.....$25 which includes the Verrazano Bridge.
Again..I have never lived in a city where I had to pay tolls. So I'm not comparing it to other places where you have to pay even higher tolls. Naturally I'm comparing it to where I lived where there is ZERO tolls.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Again..I have never lived in a city where I had to pay tolls. So I'm not comparing it to other places where you have to pay even higher tolls. Naturally I'm comparing it to where I lived where there is ZERO tolls.
Then you might want to consider not retiring in NJ.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
You can get around most parts of NJ without paying tolls, but some places the local roads get to be like a time warp where you might spend an extra half hour or hour instead of 15 to 20 minutes on the toll road. Some other places it is almost the same if there are multi-lane highways available.

Driving into NYC you are dealing with islands so they have you. I think the toll to croos the river to NYC is $12 cash or $9.50 EZ Pass, round trip. Sometimes if you are with a few other people this might be cheaper than if all of you take the train or bus, but also many people don't drive into NYC because parking is tight or expensive and the parking tickets there are enough to turn you into a revolutionary.

Still on weekends you are more likely to find a place to park on the street, but not on weekdays.

You could drive to Atlantic City using backroads like US 9 and then there are several US highways that run into AC from the Parkway or US9. That is much more local to Manahawkin. Manahawkin itself is not bad at all. Lots of big stores and shopping strips along RT 72. About 15 minutes to the local shore.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
Quote:
Odd statements? Because I was shocked about the tolls cost? Well, it is shocking for someone who lived most of their life in California..where there is no tolls. You jumped to conclusion that it's a money issue..that I couldn't afford it...LOL. If you took the time to read my response carefully..you would have gotten the point..
I just got back from a convention in San Diego and had a few days to play as well. I was shocked that when I went to Belmont Park to ride the Giant Dipper (Mission Beach), Pacific Beach to grab a bite to eat with friends, Coronado Beach and Sunset Cliffs there was NEVER a charge for parking or a beach fee. The only time I ever had to pay to park was at Sea World and Knott's Berry Farms, but that's completely expected. And as you stated - no tolls! Amazing!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Neither said nor implied you couldn't afford it, but "a round-trip will cost me $4.50... WOW!" did seem a bit of an overreaction. And there sure are toll roads in California! Just not where you lived, as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I just got back from a convention in San Diego and had a few days to play as well. I was shocked that when I went to Belmont Park to ride the Giant Dipper (Mission Beach), Pacific Beach to grab a bite to eat with friends, Coronado Beach and Sunset Cliffs there was NEVER a charge for parking or a beach fee. The only time I ever had to pay to park was at Sea World and Knott's Berry Farms, but that's completely expected. And as you stated - no tolls! Amazing!
You know, I think we are the only state that DOES charge to go on the beaches. From what I understand, none of the other east coast states charge for beach access, either.

There was an article in the APP not long ago indicating that some of the towns are eyeing up that beach revenue to use for purposes other than maintaining the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey