Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,097 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here; please be gentle : ) I've been working in Morris County - near Wharton - for about 2.5 yrs now. My husband also works where I work. We moved to Rockaway a year ago and are sick of paying almost $2,000 in rent at this really nice apartment complex. We've been talking about purchasing a home for a while, but we're a little afraid of commitment... especially when we're not familiar with this area. At this point we want to get an idea of how Morris County, or other surrounding counties, compare to what we're looking for. This will help us immensely.

Where are you coming from? New to Dover/Rockaway Twp. – Both raised in Hudson County (city folks); we've lived in Bayonne and Montclair prior to moving to Rockaway.

Why are you moving? Want more for less monthly payments – sick of renting for $2k a month.

Where will you be working ? We're both working in Morris County near Wharton. Pretty secure job.

Will you buy or rent? Buy

What is your budget? No more than $250,000 -- yearly combined income is approx. $118K. My credit is better than my husband's. but we're working on it. I'm in the 700's -- he's in the high 600's.

What kind of place are you looking for? 3 BR, 1-2 Bath, no septic tanks. Public water, sewer and public natural gas if possible.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Husband and one 5 year-old child. We may cave in get a dog in the long-run.

Do you need/want good public schools? Yes, we want good public schools. They don’t have to be perfect.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
We would like a diverse, safe, walkable, convenient (easy to walk to a neighborhood convenience store if necessary) neighborhood. More urban than suburban (if that makes sense). Not a flooding zone. Something like Montclair, but closer to our work. Definitely not rural.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance 1. Safety 2. good/decent schools, 3. short commute to work (hoping for no more than 15-20 minutes). It currently takes us 5-7 minutes to get to work.

*If it helps, I'm eligible for VA Loans. We're not in a rush to buy this instant, but hopefully within 1 year -- 1.5 year tops.*

You think we can do this within a year and a half? Or should we give it three years or so?

Thank you for your time,

Moon Pies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM

24 posts, read 32,043 times
Are you asking what towns in morris county fit your criteria? Not sure why you would want to wait 3 years when the prices on homes are only going to go up from here. I think what you are looking for is realistic in this market now.Me and my fiance bought our home in the exact situation credit wise and income wise and had no problems with financing

Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineTeam View Post
Are you asking what towns in morris county fit your criteria? Not sure why you would want to wait 3 years when the prices on homes are only going to go up from here. I think what you are looking for is realistic in this market now.Me and my fiance bought our home in the exact situation credit wise and income wise and had no problems with financing
Hi BLT, yes I would like to know which towns meet this criteria. I guess it doesnt have to be just morris county - surrounding counties can be included too.

Good to know about you and your fiancee. I think for me it may be a bit of fear since this would be our first major purchase other than a car. Thats why the three year suggestion. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 PM

24 posts, read 32,043 times
gotcha, i understand the hesitation everyone's nerves are shot when buying their first home its normal. We are originally from jersey city but we love it out here, i like the fact i can stick my hand out my window and not touch the house next to me lol. Hackettstown is a nice diverse area, you can go to greatschools.org to see the grades on the schools in the area, although i wouldnt put too much concern on their grading. They graded my old grammar school a 4 out of 10 and it was a pretty good school.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineTeam View Post
gotcha, i understand the hesitation everyone's nerves are shot when buying their first home its normal. We are originally from jersey city but we love it out here, i like the fact i can stick my hand out my window and not touch the house next to me lol. Hackettstown is a nice diverse area, you can go to greatschools.org to see the grades on the schools in the area, although i wouldnt put too much concern on their grading. They graded my old grammar school a 4 out of 10 and it was a pretty good school.
Ha! Im from JC too... my husband is from Hoboken. Totally get the wanting space between homes. My mom in law bought a house in JC and can hear the neighbor's every move. I dont envy that. So you have an idea of what we're looking for considering where we grew up - an urban vibe within the suburbs I guess. Probably just my utopia : )

Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,494,290 times
I would look around the White Meadow Lake section of Rockaway Township for starters. Great stuff and you will be close to work, etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I would look around the White Meadow Lake section of Rockaway Township for starters. Great stuff and you will be close to work, etc.

Hi captne76! Is White Meadow Lake a lake community? Either way, I'll check that out too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM

13,365 posts, read 28,593,453 times
What kind of place are you looking for? 3 BR, 1-2 Bath, no septic tanks. Public water, sewer and public natural gas if possible

Then don't go up the Rte 15 mountain into Jefferson, Mt Arlington as you will not find all 3. Jefferson still has septics and none of the towns up the mountain have natural gas.

Stick to Denville, Rockaway, Morris Plains even Wharton.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,494,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pies View Post
Hi captne76! Is White Meadow Lake a lake community? Either way, I'll check that out too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, the homeowners all belong to a country club type association built around the lake. Prices where usually reasonable and close to I-80 and US 46, etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What kind of place are you looking for? 3 BR, 1-2 Bath, no septic tanks. Public water, sewer and public natural gas if possible

Then don't go up the Rte 15 mountain into Jefferson, Mt Arlington as you will not find all 3. Jefferson still has septics and none of the towns up the mountain have natural gas.

Stick to Denville, Rockaway, Morris Plains even Wharton.
Hi njkate,

Some people I work with have told me the same thing about towns up 15N. Many people at my job actually live in Pennsylavania, in the Stroudsburg area due to lower taxes. That's just way too far for my liking.

I guess Sussex County would be out of the question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey