Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

This week, the NJ State Police have 2 cars parked on Rt 24 W where it meets 287. Every single day, I see near-misses on accidents because of the a-hats that cruise through the left lane to try to jump traffic and then cut in to the 287N merge as late as possible. Many days, I see the actual accidents happen.

Now, if you jump the line, they see you, and you get a ticket.

Why don't people just understand that if everyone stayed in the right lane to merge, traffic would just flow? It's the idiots that jump the line of traffic that cause it to back up so far.

/endrant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
This week, the NJ State Police have 2 cars parked on Rt 24 W where it meets 287. Every single day, I see near-misses on accidents because of the a-hats that cruise through the left lane to try to jump traffic and then cut in to the 287N merge as late as possible. Many days, I see the actual accidents happen.

Why don't people just understand that if everyone stayed in the right lane to merge, traffic would just flow? It's the idiots that jump the line of traffic that cause it to back up so far.

/endrant
I hope they give a zillion tickets to these azzes..I also love when they do that on I80E to 287 same scenario idiots that think they don't need to wait like everyone else..

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
I had the biggest smile on my face when I passed by this morning. 2 people pulled over at that time.

I just hate having to anticipate someone, never know who, in front of me suddenly slowing down to cut in.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Just as bad as the idiots cutting in from the left are the jerks that ride the "exit only" lane that ends just before 287 and clog up that lane as they wait until the end to cut in.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Reading this OP triggered memories of me utilizing that intersection over 10 years ago, when the road lanes were configured in an incredibly poor manner. As I recall, the two left lanes facilitated traffic flow onto 287 south, one lane ended onto the Hanover Ave exit, then the right lane only beyond that was to 287 north. It was horrible, and the dodgers that Brady describes here were commonplace back then as well.

This is one aspect of driving (lane cutting at the last minute due to construction or ending of lanes) that I must say in specifically endemic to Northern NJ drivers. Living in St. Louis now, there is a more honest attempt by all drivers to merge into one lane when the second one is closed due to accident or construction. What Brady describes here is just a horrible character flaw that motorists exhibit in NJ, and I can see it easily as a source of road rage. I too am happy to hear that police cruisers are deployed in that circumstance. IMO a much better application of law enforcement than punishing 'speeders'.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

/endrant
People do this here in the morning, too, on 42 where it splits for the Walt Whitman, 295 and the Ben Franklin bridge, as the backup for the latter two (right lane) is often long. hopefully the cops will come get them down here, too!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
When I was on 537 coming home from Great Adventure one day around rush hour one of those arses was riding in the right lane by where it ends and tried to cut in front of me. I wouldn't let her in and waved my finger in a "no-no" fashion and she proceeded to drive behind me the entire way on 195 with her middle finger in the air! I wanted to beat the hell out of her SO badly that I nearly lost it. YOU ride in a lane that is going to end (she knew what she was doing, trust me) and then ride the shoulder and try to cut me off after I've been sitting in traffic with everyone else who followed the rules and you give ME the finger?! At that point I truly understood road rage because I had it!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
When I was on 537 coming home from Great Adventure one day around rush hour one of those arses was riding in the right lane by where it ends and tried to cut in front of me. I wouldn't let her in and waved my finger in a "no-no" fashion and she proceeded to drive behind me the entire way on 195 with her middle finger in the air! I wanted to beat the hell out of her SO badly that I nearly lost it. YOU ride in a lane that is going to end (she knew what she was doing, trust me) and then ride the shoulder and try to cut me off after I've been sitting in traffic with everyone else who followed the rules and you give ME the finger?! At that point I truly understood road rage because I had it!
Are you positive she didn't accidentally get stuck in that lane? I've made that mistake and felt like an ass cutting back to the left over a solid line.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Are you positive she didn't accidentally get stuck in that lane? I've made that mistake and felt like an ass cutting back to the left over a solid line.
Positive. You can tell when people get "stuck" b/c they are unfamiliar with the area and when they are cutting the traffic line. She was by herself and dressed in business attire (makes me think she was coming home from work - it was around 5:30 pm), I saw her in my mirrors get out of the lane of traffic (it was pretty bad and you could see it was an exit only at the point she was at) and hit the gas hard to go around. When she got to the point I was at she very aggressively tried to cut in.

When I'm in a similar situation in an area I'm unfamiliar with I would put on my blinker, stop the car and "ask" to be let in by looking at someone and "pointing" with a remorseful expression or something similar. If she would have stopped, put her blinker on and looked at me to see if it was OK to go that's one thing - she didn't give a damn about anything or anyone and came very close to hitting me because she just kept going without looking until I honked and gave my finger wag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey