Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM

325 posts, read 582,663 times

Advertisements

I dug this up:
"As is" is actually a legal term and concept used to disclaim liability for the condition of the house being sold. It says that the seller is selling, and the buyer is buying the house in whatever condition it presently exists, and that the buyer is accepting the house "with all faults", whether or not immediately apparent. It is most commonly (and correctly) used in estate situations or when banks or relocation companies own the property, where the sellers may have never lived in the house and have no knowledge of any issues/defects.

This is the ultimate "buyer beware" situation, where a buyer must take the time to examine the home before accepting it. The buyer should also obtain expert inspection and legal advice and do what their experts recommend. They should also make sure their contract is contingent upon acceptable inspection approved by buyer, but understand that their only option is to take the house or walk-away, the seller is under no obligation to re-negotiate any inspection issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I dug this up:
"As is" is actually a legal term and concept used to disclaim liability for the condition of the house being sold. It says that the seller is selling, and the buyer is buying the house in whatever condition it presently exists, and that the buyer is accepting the house "with all faults", whether or not immediately apparent. It is most commonly (and correctly) used in estate situations or when banks or relocation companies own the property, where the sellers may have never lived in the house and have no knowledge of any issues/defects.

This is the ultimate "buyer beware" situation, where a buyer must take the time to examine the home before accepting it. The buyer should also obtain expert inspection and legal advice and do what their experts recommend. They should also make sure their contract is contingent upon acceptable inspection approved by buyer, but understand that their only option is to take the house or walk-away, the seller is under no obligation to re-negotiate any inspection issues.
I can't argue with any of this from a theoretical standpoint. But usually, in the real world, the seller wants to sell the house, not sit with it for the rest of his life. So he or she will usually make some accomodations, even though he is under no obligation to do so. And usually, so will the buyer, even though he or she is under no obligation to do so. It's more a matter of motivation than obligation. Playing hardball and saying "take it or leave it" is an option. It might even work. Most of the time the buyer walks though. After all, there is always another house. Negotiation works better than turning it into a boxing match.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM

291 posts, read 977,096 times
Does the contract say anything about who should get the CO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I can't argue with any of this from a theoretical standpoint. But usually, in the real world, the seller wants to sell the house, not sit with it for the rest of his life. So he or she will usually make some accomodations, even though he is under no obligation to do so. And usually, so will the buyer, even though he or she is under no obligation to do so. It's more a matter of motivation than obligation. Playing hardball and saying "take it or leave it" is an option. It might even work. Most of the time the buyer walks though. After all, there is always another house. Negotiation works better than turning it into a boxing match.
Marc, if you were the realtor representing the buyer, wouldn't you expect to see something in either the listing and/or the contract specifying that the buyer is responsible for the CO, if that's what was going to be expected? Of course everything might ultimately be negotiable, but as a buyer/lawyer representing a buyer, I'd not be happy to suddenly be asked to get a CO (which might entail spending $$ and time on a property I don't own, at least not yet) if I hadn't been told of that expectation in advance.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM

325 posts, read 582,663 times
If the term "as is" is clearly stated in the contract, why should the buyer expect the seller to make the necessary improvements to get a c.o for the buyer? The term "as is" should mean just that, nothing else.
Should my Realtor explained in the contract after the "as is" clause that the buyer will be responsible for the c.o or should that be self-explanatory? Shouldn't the buyers lawyer interpreted the contract as so?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM

50,776 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I don't know if it's different in PA, but I recently sold my Mom's NE Philly row house for her, and it too was sold "as is", bought by an investor who knew all the work it needed and was willing to do it, in exchange for a cheap house that will be worth 2-3 times what he paid for it once he fixes it up. I didn't have to do anything at all outside of show up to the titling agency and sign the papers. No inspections, no C.O.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
If the term "as is" is clearly stated in the contract, why should the buyer expect the seller to make the necessary improvements to get a c.o for the buyer? The term "as is" should mean just that, nothing else.
Should my Realtor explained in the contract after the "as is" clause that the buyer will be responsible for the c.o or should that be self-explanatory? Shouldn't the buyers lawyer interpreted the contract as so?
In my experience (as a real estate lawyer as well as a home buyer), I have seen numerous as-is sales where the seller was responsible for obtaining the CO. I've also seen instances where the buyer was required to do so, but that was clearly stated in the listing and/or the contract. To me, "as is" does not necessarily imply "buyer gets CO". As Marc said, you can certainly try to negotiate, but I would not assume that the buyer will just gladly go along with getting the CO. A CO is something that you need to have in order to sell to the property-that's why IMO it's not assumed that the buyer should be responsible, even in an as-is sale.

Depending on which municipality you're in, it may or may not be a big deal. Some towns don't even require a CO for a SF residential resale, just a smoke/carbon monoxide detector certification. And different towns have different levels of scrutiny as far as issuing COs, for sure. But I'm assuming that you (or your realtor) have already determined that it will be an issue for you?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know if it's different in PA, but I recently sold my Mom's NE Philly row house for her, and it too was sold "as is", bought by an investor who knew all the work it needed and was willing to do it, in exchange for a cheap house that will be worth 2-3 times what he paid for it once he fixes it up. I didn't have to do anything at all outside of show up to the titling agency and sign the papers. No inspections, no C.O.
Not sure about PA, but in NJ (at least the northern part of the state), inspections are absolutely standard for as-is sales. It's just that the seller is making it clear that he won't be addressing any issues found in the inspection. But the buyer can still walk away if they find major issues.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Personally I would not equate "as is" with getting a CO. To me the big difference is "as is" are things the buyer may or may not want to have corrected/fixed/changed. A CO is is not optional. Just my opinion.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Not sure about PA, but in NJ (at least the northern part of the state), inspections are absolutely standard for as-is sales. It's just that the seller is making it clear that he won't be addressing any issues found in the inspection. But the buyer can still walk away if they find major issues.
Exactly. How does a buyer even know what the "as is" condition is if they don't get an inspection?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
I am selling my house in Bergen County, "as is"
My realter says I am responsible for getting the C.O for the new owner.
So far I know we are told we must get the permit, and carbon monoxide detectors (3) and I don't know what else.
Shouldn't the buyer be held to get the C.O?
Is a C.O. required in Bergen County for a resale?
I sell real estate primarily in Somerset County, and here there is no C.O. requirement for a resale residential property. Seller is responsible to obtain the fire/carbon monoxide safety certification, and well water certificate if applicable. I guess laws may differ there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey