Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Every time I go out of NJ, either for vacation, business, or college (I currently study out-of-state), even for a short time, I always miss NJ, the turnpike, the malls, the people, the whole package. Why do you miss NJ? or do you not miss the Garden State?
I've been gone for 10 years and will probably never move back, but there are certainly some things I miss: the ethnic diversity, the Jersey Shore, the pizza, the convenience of living within 15 minutes of anything you could need or want, and the proximity to NYC. And, most of all I miss my family.

Unlike you, I DONT miss the Turnpike, or any toll roads for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM

456 posts, read 833,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think most people have there preferences, I tend to like rural parts of NJ much more than the urban parts near NYC, but either way there is a great sense of relief every time you escape NY and come back to the continent of North America.
and being in ny feels like what continent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I've been gone for 10 years and will probably never move back, but there are certainly some things I miss: the ethnic diversity, the Jersey Shore, the pizza, the convenience of living within 15 minutes of anything you could need or want, and the proximity to NYC. And, most of all I miss my family.

Unlike you, I DONT miss the Turnpike, or any toll roads for that matter.
Where did you go to? I start missing NJ within hours of leaving it, I'm not kidding.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zixy_tris View Post
Have you been to SoCal?
NJ with palm trees, worse traffic, no transit and cookie cutter architecture.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I think it's just more or less missing 'home'. If you were born and raised here or have lived here for an extended time, it will always be your home and have a special place. All of those things you 'miss' are just things that remind you of memories and times you enjoyed. I don't think there is any magic allure to NJ. I don't think it's the greatest place on Earth, nor do I think it's the worst, but it is my 'home' and that has stayed constant whether I was living in Boston or Texas or travelling nearly daily for business or spending time in Europe.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think it's just more or less missing 'home'. If you were born and raised here or have lived here for an extended time, it will always be your home and have a special place. All of those things you 'miss' are just things that remind you of memories and times you enjoyed. I don't think there is any magic allure to NJ. I don't think it's the greatest place on Earth, nor do I think it's the worst, but it is my 'home' and that has stayed constant whether I was living in Boston or Texas or travelling nearly daily for business or spending time in Europe.
Well yes I did grow up in NJ (wasn't born in NJ) but grew up here since around age 2, went to elementary school in NJ, went to High school, but now am going out of state for college, a decision I have regretted over the past couple years. Should have just gone to NJIT or Rutgers. Of course, my permanent address is still in NJ, I'm always in NJ for vacations, and some weekends, so it kind of adds up that I spend half time in NJ and other half at college. One thing I know is that if staying in US I will only live in NJ, because it's the only place in US I feel comfortable in and have the feeling of being connected to the world more.

I'm not saying it's the greatest place in the world, other places have things to offer, it's just the place where I feel most comfortable. Vacationing somewhere else is nice, but after a while you have feeling to come back. Maybe I look too positively to NJ than others, but that's just how I genuinely feel.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 26,105 times
I miss the accent and the directness of the people just saying what they mean. Have been living down in the South in Alabama for 30 years and still get annoyed when people just drag out what they are saying. Ask a simple question and they will say "waaallll, it all started back in 1968 when........" Can't tell you how many times I've had to say "Yes or no? It's a yes or no question!"

Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 57,279 times
If you miss NJ because you grew up here. That is going to be true. It is your home and it should be that way.
I grew up in midwest. Love it as always!
Moved to SoCal for job, first impression (when I went to interview), WOW!! Beautiful!! When left SoCal and it is as beautiful as it was and hated moving out.

Moved to NY/NJ, first impression, CRAP!! Still CRAP!! Can't wait to get out of here. Hopefully economy picks up and I find a better job else where.

PROJECT 2013.....

Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixy_tris View Post
Moved to NY/NJ, first impression, CRAP!! Still CRAP!! Can't wait to get out of here. Hopefully economy picks up and I find a better job else where.

PROJECT 2013.....
Where in NJ you staying?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I grew up in NJ (North Jersey) and lived there for about 40 years until I moved to PA. Lived in PA almost 10 years but about 2 months ago we moved to Arizona, something I've always wanted to do (no I'm not retired).

Things I miss from NJ:

1. My daughters (grown up) and my grandson.
2. Butterscotch Krimpets!
3. Tastykake Lemon Pies (and blueberry)!
4. Pizza
5. Good Chinese food
6. Zeppoles from the shore
7. Salt water taffy from the shore
8. Cold tap water (seriously...its warm to almost hot here!)
9. Cheap tap water (its expensive here)
10. Indoor malls (surprisingly)
11. Walking barefoot without having to worry about stepping on a scorpion
12. Tall trees and green grass
13. Snowstorms (eventually)
14. Having New Jersey Manufacturers for my auto insurance (even in PA!)
15. Cheap auto registration (Seriously. You wouldn't believe what it costs here. Almost $800/year on my 2 new cars!)

Things I don't miss about NJ:

1. Taxes
2. Traffic jams (we have that here too but not as bad and I can avoid it)
3. Humidity
4. High cost of housing
5. NY drivers (here we have CA drivers...almost as bad but not as abundant)
6. Shoveling snow
7. Driving in snow
8. The airports (Sky Harbor rocks compared to all the NY/NJ/Philly airports)
9. Toll booths (don't exist in AZ)
10. Heating bills (yes we have AC in the summer but so far that hasn't been much more than my summer AC bills were in the northeast!)
11. Mowing the lawn on hot summer days

Since its only been two months I'm sure the lists will grow. I could list the stuff I like about AZ but that's for a different forum! When my daughters come to visit, I'll have to make sure they bring me Krimpets, Tastykake pies and salt water taffy!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I would liken this feeling to be institutionalized. New Jersey is a singularly unique state in the way that it is laid out spatially, in combination with demographics that are typical of a large, prosperous suburb. I understand this feeling through the lens of family and friends, who I reckon will never leave.

The only time I ever felt that feeling that Irish Eyes has, about exhaling and feeling 'home', has been when I travel to San Diego, or the California coast. I always feel sadness in me when I leave that area.
Can you move to that area? It's great living someplace you love. I used to love NYC. I especially loved the feeling of flying back home and seeing the skyline and thinking "I'm finally home". When I stopped feeling like that I had to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey