Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM

32 posts, read 134,853 times

Advertisements

Wow, just found this thread by accident. I attended the all girls highschool (Benedictine Academy) in the old mansion in 1964. I left the following year when they closed it and opened up Paterson Catholic. Loved the old school and have fond memories of time spent there. Did the historical society win it's fight? It was a beautiful and elegant old building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
The mansion home you refer to was indeed originally most opulent! It was built by/for the Barbour family, famously of the "Barbour Mills." (19th-20th century industrialists.) Originally, the mansion/property occupied the entire tract between 11th Avenue and Broadway, and from it's 39th Street front, essentially down to the river. Out the rear of a great room was a large bow window. (Such a large, curved piece of glass was in itself, a king's ransom in the day!) It overlooked a coy pond, and a stepped/terraced yard, from which vantage and elevation, you could see NYC. Years later, the property came to be the convent school of the Benedictine Sisters, ("Benedictine Academy?") and even later, when the Sisters closed the academy, they transferred the lower parcel to the R.C.Diocese of Paterson, for the then new, Paterson Catholic Regional H.S.. (Now, the Paterson Charter School for Science & Technology?) 'Tis a shame to see it in the state it's devolved to today, but "back in it's day," it most definitely was "fit for a king/queen!" Peace

Old 05-16-2014, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,832 times
I grew up in East Paterson (now Elmwood Park) If I am not mistaken there was a lovely building on the edge of town called the Elmwood House. It had been demolished by the time I was in school. There was a shopping center consisting of A Grand Union (where my mom was employed in the corporate offices up stairs) A Walgreens, Molk Bros. Gifts and Jewelry, Canadians, Kressge's, Lobels and a few other stores. There was then a Grandway built nearby in the mid 60's. I attended Benedictine Academy graduating (the last graduating class) in 1968. The Academy was a glorious building, grand staircase, (for the Senior Class) an elevator for the more senior staff members, assemblies were held in the "parlor" with seating on the carpeted main staircase) and a beautiful grand piano with a gorgeous view of the rolling fields and property around. Such wonderful memories!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,220 times
There was a Benedictine Academy in Elizabeth, as well.....of course, all-girls school, too. I always loved the Paterson school setting.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:22 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Is this the place the OP is speaking of:Pin by Brian Taylor on Paterson, NJ | Pinterest

More about that area of Paterson
Colonial mansion restored in Paterson's once- (and again) grand Eastside Park | NJ.com

Just goes to show once again the gays know good real estate bones whey they see it.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
The building at 81 E. 39th St. in Paterson is owned by Youth Consultation Service (YCS) and is the Kilbarchan Residential Treatment Center. It houses emotionally disturbed teenagers. I'm a DYFS worker and I know, as I've had several clients there.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
I lived there in the 70's Back then it was called Kilbarchan it was an Orphanage back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey