Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM

12 posts, read 21,947 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We would love some thoughts from the group... My wife and I are new the Northeast (relocated from South Florida) and are utterly confused as to where to look for a house.

Here's some background on us - we've been living in Hoboken for the past year and certainly have enjoyed it. I'm sure you've heard the obvious reasons (proximity to NYC, young/vibrant atmosphere), but we are now moving into the "I want space and a house" phase.

Considering we are not from the area, the house hunt in NJ (and PA) is a bit confusing. It looks to be a collection of small towns each with individual personalities, demographics, and different real estate prices. We are just not sure where to start.

We would really appreciate to hear your thoughts. Some key points about us:

- Married, no children
- Ages: late 30s, early 20s
- We work in Bridgewater and New Brunswick (looking for ~45 min commute, maybe 60 mins).
- Always lived in big cities, so an active downtown is key (more into the restaurant scene, wine, etc...)
- Fairly active (biking, running)
- Weekend access to NYC (car or train)
- Open to NJ or PA
- House size: min. 2,000 sq ft with a yard
- Budget: $600K. It'll depend on property taxes - surprised by the difference between PA and NJ.

Coworkers have recommended New Hope, PA, Summit, NJ, and Westfield, NJ (Summit and Westfield seem to be too expensive). We're going to start our weekend trips to the different areas but it would be great to get some thoughts on where to look from the group.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
I'd look in New Brunswick itself and possibly Princeton which has a train to New Brunswick. Highland Park also has a decent downtown.

The other Brunswicks are nice - East, North & South but all lack downtowns.

I don't think you can get to & from PA in under an hour where you work and you'd probably hate the commute.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
If Summit and Westfield are too expensive than consider Bridgewater since Westfield and New Brunswick are just a 30 min drive for restaurants plus Somerville has tons of restaurants and is only a 10 min drive from most of Bridgewater.
Lots of people in the Martinsville section of Bridgewater bike and run on the lightly traveled (after the commuter hours) roads in the hills in Bridgewater.
600 K will get you a nice house in Martinsville (not a Mc Mansion) but a nice home with an acre or more.
Taxes will be in the 10K area but you are paying for location.
You will be 1 hr from NYC (off peak hours)
1.5 hrs from the Pocono Mts in PA
1 hr to the northern beaches of the Jersey shore. Sandy hook to Bradley Beach

IMO Bridgewater offers the best location in NJ for people looking for more than just access to NYC

Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Thank you to both for your thoughts. My initial reaction is that the Brunswicks aren't for us. We'll definitely look into Martinsville.

We would love to be in a cool, somewhat artsy community. That's why many recommended New Hope, but we weren't aware that the commute would be brutal.

Definitely not looking for a McMansion (or an acre)... Looking more for a one story house with nice style (wood floors, some brick, etc...).

Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 AM

65 posts, read 190,438 times
Gonna throw Red Bank out there only because it might be the type of community you are looking for. Commute might be a drag and don't know anything about real estate costs...

Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogart View Post
We would love to be in a cool, somewhat artsy community. That's why many recommended New Hope, but we weren't aware that the commute would be brutal.

Thanks again.
Used to be a friend I know was the Chief Engineer of a big NYC FM rock station and commuted from New Hope everyday. I lived in New Hope decades ago but worked nearby, Trenton.

You'd have to check the estimated commute times but you would either go up 202, 179 (old 202), 518 or down to I-95, etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogart View Post
Hi everyone,

We would love some thoughts from the group... My wife and I are new the Northeast (relocated from South Florida) and are utterly confused as to where to look for a house.

Here's some background on us - we've been living in Hoboken for the past year and certainly have enjoyed it. I'm sure you've heard the obvious reasons (proximity to NYC, young/vibrant atmosphere), but we are now moving into the "I want space and a house" phase.

Considering we are not from the area, the house hunt in NJ (and PA) is a bit confusing. It looks to be a collection of small towns each with individual personalities, demographics, and different real estate prices. We are just not sure where to start.

We would really appreciate to hear your thoughts. Some key points about us:

- Married, no children
- Ages: late 30s, early 20s
- We work in Bridgewater and New Brunswick (looking for ~45 min commute, maybe 60 mins).
- Always lived in big cities, so an active downtown is key (more into the restaurant scene, wine, etc...)
- Fairly active (biking, running)
- Weekend access to NYC (car or train)
- Open to NJ or PA
- House size: min. 2,000 sq ft with a yard
- Budget: $600K. It'll depend on property taxes - surprised by the difference between PA and NJ.

Coworkers have recommended New Hope, PA, Summit, NJ, and Westfield, NJ (Summit and Westfield seem to be too expensive). We're going to start our weekend trips to the different areas but it would be great to get some thoughts on where to look from the group.

Thanks!
Morristown or Madison. Both have great downtowns (Morristown locally known as "Hoboken West").

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

63 posts, read 182,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Morristown or Madison. Both have great downtowns (Morristown locally known as "Hoboken West").
Seconded. Morristown would have a slightly better commute, but either one would be a good choice.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
I recommend Princeton, or any town near Princeton, i.e. West Windsor, Lawrence.

NJ Transit will get you to New Brunswick quickly. There's a station in Princetion Junction, or take the Dinky from Princeton to PJ.

Princeton has wonderful (inexpensive) theaters, i.e. McCarter ($20. seats available for many plays), Princeton Summer Theater & more. There's a great art museum on the campus which is free.

Throughout the year Princeton offers free, open to the public lectures.

Come down to Princeton and take a look, walk around the town, check out the surrounding towns.

If you want to rent or own a condo take a look at Canal Pointe, which has pools in the summer & tennis courts.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey