U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM

80 posts, read 203,778 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a house in Maplewood this weekend.
Any insights into schools, annd commute to and from midtown NYC?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,630,805 times
Commute should be really easy into Penn Station (direct train). I think school is decent as well, my friend loves it in South Orange.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 AM

286 posts, read 768,058 times
There is a train station in Maplewood to New York Penn Station. Though to park there is difficult. It is a nice town to live, but there is not much to do there.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 AM

1,203 posts, read 2,749,887 times
Good town, very popular it seems amongst young couples who move out of NYC. Downtown area isn't too extensive as mentioned above but there's some good spots. Friends of mine just opened a restaurant there, wish em the best! Still a great location and a lot of nice things in or just outside of town. Taxes are apparently an issue and the closer you are to the Irvington or Newark borders, seems to get "less nice". Overall though I like it and if we could swing it, it'd be a contender for a buying town.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM

942 posts, read 1,659,199 times
Maplewood has really high property taxes.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 PM

80 posts, read 203,778 times
is it known to have flooding issues? esp valley road?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 PM

9,864 posts, read 16,438,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj97 View Post
is it known to have flooding issues? esp valley road?
Maplewood certainly has flooding issues, not as bad as Millburn though; I don't think entire streets flooded during Irene. The Rahway went out of its banks, but fortunately most of that is a golf course. Valley flooded at Springfield, but I don't think that's Maplewood any more.

It's really a matter of two things, elevation and drainage. If you're within a few vertical feet of the banks, you could have a river in your house from rising water. If drainage is such that stormwater runs towards your house, your basement or house could flood in a heavy storm even if the river doesn't reach it.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM

478 posts, read 1,084,851 times
They share a HS, Columbia, with SO. Decent schools, good commute, high taxes (typical 2ssex C). The village is quite small, but you are right near South Orange and Millburn (and Newark and NYC). I showed there last spring, but my buyers ended up in Glen Ridge and Montclair. We also had a lot of Maplewood agents selling in Montclair this spring. I think the inventory of homes was just too low there last spring/summer. Whether or not to buy in a lesser expensive neighborhood there (closer to Irvington) will be a neverending debate. I am friendly with an agent that lives there and sent 2 daughters through the schools if you want me to hook you up with her.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM

9,864 posts, read 16,438,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Whether or not to buy in a lesser expensive neighborhood there (closer to Irvington) will be a neverending debate.
There was an article in the Star-Ledger this weekend about a sewer line at the border that Irvington hasn't fixed for three years, and is still trying to weasel out of fixing. Just another reason to stay some distance away.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 35,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There was an article in the Star-Ledger this weekend about a sewer line at the border that Irvington hasn't fixed for three years, and is still trying to weasel out of fixing. Just another reason to stay some distance away.
One sewer line does not a town make. I wouldn't buy a place near said sewer line, but the entire town shouldn't be condemned for a tiny fraction of an issue. (That is, if by "stay some distance away" you meant "buy in some other town.") Trust me, I read the article and you'd apparently know if you were near the sewer line in question!

Anyway, to get back to the original poster's question: I'm pretty sure almost the entire town is a lower risk flood area. Many homes that had always been dry apparently saw water in their basements during Hurricane Irene, but it was considered a rare thing. (Note: I only moved to town a month ago, so I've no personal Irene story to tell.) Maplewood's a great town, though Valley is a pretty busy street. My husband and I looked at a place on Valley that we loved, bid on and lost to a higher bidder. Afterward, we realized that we were glad for that: upon further reflection and more visits, we decided that Valley was too busy for us. On commuting to midtown: the earlier you can leave Maplewood, the better. Depending on where in midtown you need to get to, you might be able to taking the PATH to 33rd Street and walk from there.

Good luck with your house hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey