Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,031,783 times

Advertisements

DOes anyone know of a good speech therapist or center that can help a 6yr old? My friend needs to find someone to work with her son for 2 to 3 months. He is still not able to pronounce certain letters and she would like to have him evaluated. She tried a couple of places in Jersey City with no success. She said every few sessions they were changing the therapist and he needs consistency.

Ideally it would be in Bergen or Hudson county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,813,010 times
If there is documented evidence that the child needs a speech therapist than the school district is legally required to write an IEP and give the child speech therapy in school at no cost to the parents.

You indicate they have gone to speech therapists in Jersey City. If that is where they live it is unlikely they will get any services from the school without going to court.

First step is to get an evaluation done. Look into one of the major hospitals, they will have pediatric speech therapy departments, i.e. St. Barnabas in Livingston, Overlook in Summit.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM

291 posts, read 973,699 times
Is he enrolled in public school? Is there a reason she can't or doesn't want to have him evaluated by their local school district? They have speech therapists on staff, generally, and many private schools do, as well.

Otherwise, it's not in Bergen but nearby in Wayne--St. Joseph's Children's Hospital. We did feeding therapy with my son there, and his speech therapist (before he started preschool) works there and was really great with him. Valley Hospital in Ridgewood also has a speech/language group, which has a good reputation, but I really loved DS's therapist, and she and her colleagues come highly recommended.

Either way, she should be able to call and set up an eval. (She may or may not need a referral from his pediatrician.) If they find that he needs therapy, she should be able to schedule with the same therapist every time--most places understand the importance of consistency when dealing with younger kids.

ETA: Saw the comment re: Jersey City schools. I don't think what s/he said is universally true. I have a relative who is a special ed teacher, and another who is a gen ed teacher in Jersey City, and both have tons of kids who receive varying services, and most of their parents definitely didn't go to court to receive them.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 AM

ETA: Saw the comment re: Jersey City schools. I don't think what s/he said is universally true. I have a relative who is a special ed teacher, and another who is a gen ed teacher in Jersey City, and both have tons of kids who receive varying services, and most of their parents definitely didn't go to court to receive them.

I wish it weren't so. We had to move to get services for our son. Same is true for many other parents that we knew. They just refuse services until they wear you down.

In Mercer County it was totally different. Services were given with no difficulty whatsoever.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM

The child goes to a private school, which does not provide any speech therapy.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:37 PM

513 posts, read 1,162,424 times
St. Joseph's Children's Hospital has a top-notch department. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Legally the school district must provide services even if the child is in private school. First there must be an IEP in place.

If they can't get services they can hire a parent advocate to try to convince the school to obey the law.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,885,735 times
Sorry I can't recommend anyone but as a Special Ed teacher I would recommend you go to the ASHA.org website. On the left hand side click "The Public" and then choose "Find a Professional".

Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM

49,999 posts, read 63,313,910 times
Her pediatrician would be a good place to start. We re not in your area, but I know a speech therapist who gets her referrals from a pediatrician.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post

Legally the school district must provide services even if the child is in private school. First there must be an IEP in place.

If they can't get services they can hire a parent advocate to try to convince the school to obey the law.
An IEP in a school district takes months to acquire. I am a teacher in this district as well and this route would have her waiting until June because they wouldn't think he was an urgent of a case as other children. I've referred many children over the years and the system in the public school is just too slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey