Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM

35 posts, read 33,918 times

Advertisements

I just got a 1988 pick up truck from a friend. There was no money exchanged. He gave it to me as a gift.

The title has 2 lien holders listed on it but he assures me that there is no lien. The title is from New York. I have only seen titles from cars in NJ. I am not used to this. because of the age of the vehicle I doubt that there would be a lien but how can I be sure?

The vehicle is probably not worth much more than about $1000. Im not concerned that the vehicle has money owed on it but I am concerned that NJ Motor Vehicle will not issue me a title if they see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
I just registered my car in NJ from NY. They will want to see the letter that states that the lien has been paid off. Since this is most likely unavailable in your case, I am not sure if they will make exception considering the age of your truck. You should go to DMV and ask them.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I agree fairly much with above response. try not to write anything on the title that you might want to change later, since they do not take titles that have anything erased or crossed out.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM

527 posts, read 1,407,951 times
You should probably get in touch with NYS DMV and ask.
Just because the truck is old, is no guarentee that the loans were actually paid.

But I just paid off the loan on my car, got letter from bank, all is paid and clear
went to NJ DMV, asked them to remove lien holder from title, they did!
didn't want to see bank letter, nothing, just my say so
In fact they said I could have just called.

I asked if I could get a new title doc, with no lien holder on it.
they said sure, but not necsassary, it's on computer.
I said, no, I would like a clean doc, they were very nice, said sure, charged me $35 for new title doc.
Would have been no charge if I didn't want a new title.

I was VERY surprised how easy (to easy) it was to remove it

Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
But I just paid off the loan on my car, got letter from bank, all is paid and clear
went to NJ DMV, asked them to remove lien holder from title, they did!
didn't want to see bank letter, nothing, just my say so
In fact they said I could have just called.
Wow, this is the complete opposite of the DMV in Rahway (Union county). The lady was so adamant about having that letter that states that the loan has been paid off. We paid it off years ago, thank god we are paper hoarders and was able to find this little letter, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: