Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,415 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm desperately needing some guidance on where to live in NJ. I think I'm looking for too much for my budget, but I have noooo clue what's available in NJ. I was thinking Jersey City, but now I'm leaning towards New Brunswick.. close to Rutgers.

I'm moving to NJ for my job. I will be working with Universities from NYC to Philly and thus commuting to both regularly.

I plan on renting for ~1500 a month (including parking)... 1-2BR
I'll be moving by myself (no kids) so I want to live somewhere where I feel safe walking around. Since I will be working at Rutgers, I was thinking it might be a great central point and likely to have what I'm looking for...

I'm only 25 so I would like to live in a younger place. High walkability, restaurants, boutiques, coffee shops, etc. Would love to live near a park or some kind of green space. Does this exist?

I don't care about nightlife so much, but I do want to live in a downtown area. It doesn't have to be big city downtown though. I'd be happy with a place similar to downtown Madison, WI, if anyone has been there.

Where should I start looking??

P.S. Thanks soooo much for your help!!

Last edited by Madison2NJ; 09-09-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,130 times
Jersey city downtown is more "centrally" located to NYC+PA+Rutgers Newark - far more universities in terms of transportation options if you dont drive..

Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 AM

35 posts, read 55,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison2NJ View Post
Hi all,

I'm desperately needing some guidance on where to live in NJ. I think I'm looking for too much for my budget, but I have noooo clue what's available in NJ. I was thinking Jersey City, but now I'm leaning towards New Brunswick.. close to Rutgers.

I'm moving to NJ for my job. I will be working with Universities from NYC to Philly and thus commuting to both regularly.

I plan on renting for ~1500 a month (including parking)... 1-2BR
I'll be moving by myself (no kids) so I want to live somewhere where I feel safe walking around. Since I will be working at Rutgers, I was thinking it might be a great central point and likely to have what I'm looking for...

I'm only 25 so I would like to live in a younger place. High walkability, restaurants, boutiques, coffee shops, etc. Would love to live near a park or some kind of green space. Does this exist?

I don't care about nightlife so much, but I do want to live in a downtown area. It doesn't have to be big city downtown though. I'd be happy with a place similar to downtown Madison, WI, if anyone has been there.

Where should I start looking??

P.S. Thanks soooo much for your help!!
I just moved from that area after living there for many years. For that price, you will be ok finding a place. However, be cautioned that New Brunswick is not the best area. Look in North, or even better, East or south brunswick. For commuting, consider the route #1 corridor south of Rutgers all the way down to Princeton (a great area to hang out, too). All these are suburbia.

Last edited by tuna22; 09-10-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM

116 posts, read 238,837 times
The downtown Rutgers area is fine, ignore the last OP. If you drive down Somerset St 5 minutes towards what is known as "Mexico" then yes, it is bad. It's filled with illegals and MS-13, however the majority of New Brunswick are college age residents. They just built a huge skyscraper condo complex right next to the train station called the point or the vue I think. That is pretty cool. They have very nice apartments right right next to Route 18 as well. Several places you can look in NB, plus there are a few clubs in NB, plenty of bars and restaurants and it is a nice central location between NYC and Philly. On top of all that if you are bored you can catch a Rutgers football or basketball game, or take the train to NYC to watch the Rangers, Knicks, etc.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
New Brunswick is a great option.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:00 AM

127 posts, read 261,969 times
New Brunswick is a fine and safe option that meets all your criteria, just as long as you stay away from Remsen/ Throop streets and the areas past Robt. Wood Johnson on French street. Otherwise you are quite safe. Very centrally located between NYC and Philly. Should be good

Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM

81 posts, read 184,840 times
Regarding New Brunswick-the sixth ward by the main campus is the safest part
but it is very college oriented. The rest of the town you can forget about. There
are some apartment buildings near the train station you might look into. There is
another building out Easton Ave in Somerset also. If you are looking for a college type
house, there seem to be alot available right now. Parking is tough also and you need a
decal as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 AM

115 posts, read 381,555 times
The south part of Highland Park could be an option for you. Walkable to train station and Rutgers and a different feeling than New Brunswick proper.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:58 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
The south part of Highland Park could be an option for you. Walkable to train station and Rutgers and a different feeling than New Brunswick proper.
1+ Highland Park is an excellent option...much safer than living in NB, yet close enough to walk to the train station and to the nightlife, plus you wont have to deal with drunken frat boys puking on your car/sidewalk/stoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey