U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM

21 posts, read 37,256 times

Advertisements

I work in the 70s in NYC and love Edgewater. What would be the fastest way for me to get to work from there?

If the commute time isn't bad, I really would consider Edgewater instead of Manhattan.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,191,824 times
You actually have three options. There are buses that run through edgewater around the clock and usually take 45 mins to an hour to get to Grand Central Station. In addition to the bus, you also have the option of taking the Edgewater Ferry or Port Imperial Ferry.

Edgewater is a lovely area. I live in cliffside park and I absolutely love this part of North Jersey. Very expensive but worth every penny.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 8,489,535 times
You could take the #158 to the PABT and then take the subway up to your job. Either that, or the #188 to the GWB Bus Terminal and then take the subway down to your job, but I think it's a little more roundabout, and you don't have the bus lane to help you like you do in the Lincoln Tunnel.

You can also take the #158 to Port Imperial and take the ferry across, though that might not save you much time.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 AM

19 posts, read 35,512 times
I am thinking about moving to Edgewater too instead of the city. I read that the ferry is great when the weather is good and the commute is short 8-15 mins. Is this true? How do you know the ferry is not running? do you ust find out when you get to it in the morning?

Are the ferries safe at night? I read Port Imperial runs on weekends till 1 am so jus curious abt this. I am a single woman in her twenties...wanted to know if i can use it to commute at the wee hours if I am in the city till then.

When the weather is bad, do you folks ever just drive to work using a car?

OR so you prefer to take the 158 to the PABT and then subway into work?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM

6,588 posts, read 2,416,003 times
The Ferry is totally safe but does not run that late. 1 am is far from the wee hours in nyc nightlife speak, especially if you have to be AT the ferry by 1am.
Driving in and parking is really not so bad DEPENDING where you work. Many garages have an early bird rate of less than $15 if you are in by 10am. If you work uptown or even in mid town it's a fine option. Parking in the financial district is a nightmare and VERY expensive.
You might even be able to find street parking (free or metered) in the 70's on either the east or west side. From Edgewater it would take as little as half an hour to drive in and park in the 70's. That all depends on what time you are going in. I used to go in around 9:30 and would literally breeze right through the tolls.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:47 AM

Foodyum,

This is awesome to read. I cannot believe what I am reading. So folks do drive! I will not be driving to the financial district but to 71st street. Googlemaps did verify the commute as 20-30mins from edgewater but i wasnt sure.

How about coming back to Edgewater? What has been your experience driving back home after work? Does it take 3-4 times as long to get back to edgewater due to rush hour traffic?

Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM

I live north of the bridge so can not tell you exactly. Certainly before 4 and after 8 going back to jersey is usually no traffic.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM

Foodyum,

I read that in NYC they have parking garages that you can pay a monthly fee and coomute by car to the city. I plan to use these parking services when the ferry is not operating. My plan is on those days to drive to the city and subway to work. What are your thoughts?

Also, does the Yellow Cab drop off out of state in Edgewater? Or are the NYC cabs limited to the 5 Buroughs?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Monthly parking is usually used by people who commute in daily or live in NYC because of the cost. It can vary between $250 and $550 per month depending on location. You can get coupons online for many garages and that can cut the daily rate substantially. Cabs do go across the bridge but will charge more than the meter. Not sure what the average fare to Edgewater would be, my guess would be $50 but maybe someone else has more recent experience.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:35 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,191,824 times
Paid $60 for a taxi ride from West Village to Cliffside Park (which is less than a mile from edgewater). So foodyum's estimate is on point. Driving across the bridge each day and paying for parking can get very expensive. I would stick to taking the bus or ferry in. Much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey