Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 PM

12 posts, read 23,689 times

Advertisements

I would look into either Montville, Madison, Morris Plain, Morris Township, or Florham Park. These towns have a variety of housing options and have low taxes. Getting to Midtown should be easy via train from any of these locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM

70 posts, read 209,546 times
Check out Denville, Dover, Roxbery Twp. They all have easy access to the train and major highways!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 AM

127 posts, read 261,943 times
Basking Ridge baybay!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 AM

6 posts, read 6,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Cedar Grove is much smaller than West Orange (West Orange is about 3x larger) and I don't think Cedar Grove really has more businesses overall. West Orange, being a much larger town, needs to provide many more services. Things like a paid fire dept. in WO push up the taxes, whereas the fire dept. in CG is all volunteer.

Despite Cedar Grove's lower taxes, the actual cost of housing in Cedar Grove is higher, so I wouldn't say you get more house for your money. When I looked in CG a few years ago, houses were almost 100k higher than what you would pay for something similar in WO. Overall it's pretty much a wash.
If you look at the amount of business in Cedar Grove for the amount of land in Cedar Grove, then you realize that more of the town as a percentage is made up of small businesses. These as a percentage will help the overall tax rate in Cedar Grove as opposed to WO where the tax rate is well over 3%. In WO I was paying upwards of $17,000 for a home that was valued at $385,000. New construction in WO had taxes upwards of $30,000 for a home valued at $800,000. In CG since the tax rate is much lower that same $800,000 home would have a tax payment near the $17,000 I was paying for half the house in WO.

Small towns with small businesses mean smaller homeowner tax bills, smaller classroom sizes and more of a community feel. Just saying.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrotten54 View Post
Check out Denville, Dover, Roxbery Twp. They all have easy access to the train and major highways!
I liked Denville but was too far away from the city where my wife works. SHe needs to be at work within 30 minutes and its just too far. Nice town though.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernNJdude View Post
I would look into either Montville, Madison, Morris Plain, Morris Township, or Florham Park. These towns have a variety of housing options and have low taxes. Getting to Midtown should be easy via train from any of these locations.
Montville and Florham park had the lowest taxes. Makes a big difference in your monthly payment. Also East Hanover. I dont think they have a HS so maybe thats why taxes are a bit lower there.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM

63 posts, read 182,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I've had to walk home from Orange at twilight, didn't feel particularly dangerous. There's been a couple of times I went to the station after 10pm at times no train was coming in and saw the cops there apparently arresting someone, so it's probably not the best place late at night. But when the trains come in it's fine.
I agree--I'm a middle-aged woman and have never felt unsafe getting off the train in Orange at night. I haven't been there much past 9pm, though.

Depending on where you live in West Orange, you can also walk home from Mountain Station after the jitney stops running. I do that pretty regularly when I have something to do in the city in the evenings. It's about a 15-minute walk from my house--it would probably be shorter, but it's up a very steep hill, which slows me down.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM

58 posts, read 153,526 times
FYI - Cedar Grove is under an hour to mid town if you take the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey