Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,383 times

Advertisements

Why are public schools in New Jersey (I assume all of them) closed for Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur?

Jews are only around 5% of NJ's population, which means that 95% are not.
OK, I understand that in towns where Jewish population is much higher they should be closing, but majority of towns that do close have very few, if any, Jewish population.

Most children are suffering and stop learning by having to stay home, and most parents' are working so we need to pay for babysitter or taking day off from work. Jewish students/teacher should just be able to request off, and don't force the majority to stay home instead of learning!

Also if school calendars put Jewish holidays on the list of days off, then 'Spring Break' should be called 'Easter Break' and 'Winter recess' for 'Christmas & New Year's break'.
I like the way NYC school system did it.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,457,993 times
Certainly there are school districts that do not close for Rosh Hashanah and/or Yom Kippur. But some districts have a sizable population of Jewish teachers, even though the community population may not have a lot of Jewish people. Getting substitute teachers for all of the teachers requesting off would be a nightmare, and perhaps impossible in a lot of places.

As far as what the days off should be called, my school district refers to all days off for religious holidays as "Administrative Days".

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Why are public schools in New Jersey (I assume all of them) closed for Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur?

Jews are only around 5% of NJ's population, which means that 95% are not.
OK, I understand that in towns where Jewish population is much higher they should be closing, but majority of towns that do close have very few, if any, Jewish population.

Most children are suffering and stop learning by having to stay home, and most parents' are working so we need to pay for babysitter or taking day off from work. Jewish students/teacher should just be able to request off, and don't force the majority to stay home instead of learning!

Also if school calendars put Jewish holidays on the list of days off, then 'Spring Break' should be called 'Easter Break' and 'Winter recess' for 'Christmas & New Year's break'.
I like the way NYC school system did it.
Not all school are closed in NJ for Jewish holidays, you know. Our school district closes only for Yom Kippur, and it's primarily because of the teachers, not the students, since the town had a low Jewish population/no temple.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Getting substitute teachers for all of the teachers requesting off would be a nightmare, and perhaps impossible in a lot of places.

Bingo!
zhelder has given the correct answer.
It would be essentially impossible in many districts to obtain enough substitutes to cover all of the classes taught by Jewish teachers who took the day off for religious observance.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Certainly there are school districts that do not close for Rosh Hashanah and/or Yom Kippur.
I would like to know which school district do not observe it. I don't think there are any.
I also don't think any school district have more than 20% Jewish faculties.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,430 times
I am for not closing school for any religious holidays. If they fall on a weekend good for you. If not too bad take off or go to work. At what point does it stop?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,337 times
I don't mind, I needed this break from my grad school!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
I would like to know which school district do not observe it. I don't think there are any.
Nutley.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM

88 posts, read 228,567 times
Quote:
Ringwood schools never were when I was growing up. Looks like they are now closed for YK but not RH. Garfield schools are not. Wanaque schools are not.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

88 posts, read 228,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I am for not closing school for any religious holidays. If they fall on a weekend good for you. If not too bad take off or go to work. At what point does it stop?
I assume you mean this for Christmas, too? Since that is a religious holiday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey