Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times

Advertisements

I have had Verizon service with high speed internet DSL for about 10 years here and probably another 5 years at another location. Other than maybe one time when the signal was flaky, they came out and fixed the line the next day, everything was fine, solid service, good speeds.
After all these years they mistakenly disconnected my service, no fault of mine, bill paid, etc., but the kicker is they can't seem to "TALK" to each other to turn it back on.

It's been out a week, I gave up after the second time a tech showed up and said the lines are fine all the way back to the CO, YOU have to call the business office back, they say everything is fine and active, transfer me back to the tech support, they check everything and say they can't see my modem, make ANOTHER trouble ticket, the Verizon tech comes out, no service on line, call the business office, and it keeps going on and on. Third tech came out today, I told the people what would happen, same deal. I have to call them back, they can't speak to their own people. If I call them back they will send out a fourth tech who will tell me to call them back, on and on.

It does take hours to speak to them and go through the whole nonsense over and over. They should put me on the payroll by now.

Luckily I'm about a block away from a Clear Internet tower, called them 2 days ago and they had a modem shipped which arrived the next day, plug it into power and you're back online.

I used to like Verizon because they USED TO BE dependable, but after this week of no service because they can't figure out how to turn my service back on, well enough is enough.

They have FIOS running past here which I know is supposed to be good but we have never been interested in the whole aspect of pay TV nor in dealing with Verizon anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
After dealing with many different companies over the years, I have come to the conclusion that Verizon's customer service is just about the worst to be found. I too have dealt with similar issues, where that company's left hand doesn't seem to be able to communicate with its right hand.

Several years back, when I was getting nowhere with them regarding a problem affecting my DSL service, I finally filed a complaint with the NJ Public Utilities Commission, via telephone. Believe it or not, within 24 hours, I was contacted by someone from Verizon who was clearly much higher up in the food chain than others with whom I had dealt, and who was clearly sweating bullets as I recounted the incredible run-around and incompetence on the part of both their customer service people and their repair staff.

The upshot is that a much more experienced repair person was dispatched to my home the same day, and he resolved the problem w/in ~1 hour. According to him, Fios is both the savior of Verizon and the source of its downfall in customer service. This repairman stated that all of the experienced, really competent repair people have been diverted to Fios-related tasks, and that the repair people sent to homes for "ordinary" phone problems and DSL problems are recent hires with little training.

The bottom line--unfortunately--is that if you want to get decent service from Verizon, you frequently have to file a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Sure hope you read up on CLEAR's business practices.

If you do anything bandwidth intensive, expect to see your speeds throttled down to DSL speed or lower. The cap before they throttle you is very low, many people report getting capped with <20gb of data use in a month, which is something anyone who uses their computer much can go over, even without using Netflix or the like.

Most likely, a bad move on your part, IMO.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Sure hope you read up on CLEAR's business practices.

If you do anything bandwidth intensive, expect to see your speeds throttled down to DSL speed or lower. The cap before they throttle you is very low, many people report getting capped with <20gb of data use in a month, which is something anyone who uses their computer much can go over, even without using Netflix or the like.

Most likely, a bad move on your part, IMO.
Well some service is much better than no service at all, besides I don't do much bandwidth intensive downloading. Don't usually have the time for that.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM

303 posts, read 920,044 times
u dont need TV to get FIOS. Just get the FIOS for internets. Clear is ok for mobile/usb stick etc but 4 main home internets - forget it. i use the USB on-the-go when i'm on site. Most place it work good, but can be slow sometime. Use FIOS at home and u will never egress it.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
u dont need TV to get FIOS. Just get the FIOS for internets. Clear is ok for mobile/usb stick etc but 4 main home internets - forget it. i use the USB on-the-go when i'm on site. Most place it work good, but can be slow sometime. Use FIOS at home and u will never egress it.
$70, $80 or $90 a month? Nope, not here enough to justify that and have to deal with Verizon still who can't seem to communicate amongst themselves.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Anyone who complains about Verizon never had the pleasure to do business with Time Warner Cable, especially in NYC. They are beyond terrible, I have had internet outages for over a month and because their outsourced tech are overbooked, your scheduled repair window may not happen and if not, well that's another (minimum) 2 weeks wait.

You also have to be on the phone at least 1.5 hours to get to talk to a real person because they will make you go through diagnostics for retards (hey, did you turn off the cable modem?), and after going through all that, wait another 45 min for an actual person. I have never been more livid dealing with any company. To add insult to injury, that's the only cable provider in my area and my other alternative is DSL, which is too slow for work.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Anyone who complains about Verizon never had the pleasure to do business with Time Warner Cable, especially in NYC. They are beyond terrible, I have had internet outages for over a month and because their outsourced tech are overbooked, your scheduled repair window may not happen and if not, well that's another (minimum) 2 weeks wait.

You also have to be on the phone at least 1.5 hours to get to talk to a real person because they will make you go through diagnostics for retards (hey, did you turn off the cable modem?), and after going through all that, wait another 45 min for an actual person. I have never been more livid dealing with any company. To add insult to injury, that's the only cable provider in my area and my other alternative is DSL, which is too slow for work.
Good to know...but hard to believe someone is worse than Verizon's customer service.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,342 times
I have had the opposite results with Verizon. Whenever there was a problem with the FIOS at my mom's (cable and internet) when I was there is was fixed ASAP and I always got a very courteous, helpful customer service rep. With my cell service they have been nothing more than outstanding whether it be the time I signed a contract with no free nights (many years ago) and I racked up over $250 in charges (which they promptly refunded) or when I've needed a global phone when going on vacation to other countries (free of charge and shipped overnight) or when my current phone was having issues and they over-nighted a brand new one at no charge. They have always been phenomenal whenever I've needed their assistance on all aspects of their business. That's been my experience anyway.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,130 times
+1 very satisfied with FIOS, no downtime at all even during Hurricane Irene, was beyond impressed. FiOS is still going strong, have had absolutely NO issues whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey