Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, the FBI released the preliminary crime statistics for 2010. It provided us the total number of offenses for the country and each city over 100,000. Most cities and the country as a whole experiences reductions in the homicide rate. However, according to the data on fbi.gov the homicide rate in Newark went up. In 2010 there were 90 murders compared to only 80 a year before and only 67 in 2008. Yes that is not as bad as 105 murders in 2006, but it is still higher than the 58 murders in 2000.

Though the first two years of the Booker administration saw reduction in the homicide rate, the next two failed to see such declines. Why? Are these two past years just a blip for a coming back city or will Newark always be bad? Discuss your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
It tends to be in certain areas , so it doesn't mean that Newark is going bad. And it doesn't bother me that much knowing that it doesn't or rarely goes outside these areas. Same with other parts of the tri-state , like in parts of the Bronx or Brooklyn the spill over is rare.... To a Suburbanite who is closeted and doesn't explore the world enough Newark looks scary and creepy..... But ive traveled all over the Northeast and ive seen worse like parts of Baltimore , North Philly , Camden , parts of Buffalo and DC.....

Old 05-24-2011, 04:45 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
As long as the murder rate is predictable and confined and Newark remains in the middle of the pack of killer cities all is well.

This is the kind of attitude that keeps Newark the blight it is.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:43 PM

147 posts, read 389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Yesterday, the FBI released the preliminary crime statistics for 2010. It provided us the total number of offenses for the country and each city over 100,000. Most cities and the country as a whole experiences reductions in the homicide rate. However, according to the data on fbi.gov the homicide rate in Newark went up. In 2010 there were 90 murders compared to only 80 a year before and only 67 in 2008. Yes that is not as bad as 105 murders in 2006, but it is still higher than the 58 murders in 2000.

Though the first two years of the Booker administration saw reduction in the homicide rate, the next two failed to see such declines. Why? Are these two past years just a blip for a coming back city or will Newark always be bad? Discuss your views.
Crime and murder rate go up and down. Newark is probably still going downhill overall.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It tends to be in certain areas , so it doesn't mean that Newark is going bad. And it doesn't bother me that much knowing that it doesn't or rarely goes outside these areas. Same with other parts of the tri-state , like in parts of the Bronx or Brooklyn the spill over is rare.... To a Suburbanite who is closeted and doesn't explore the world enough Newark looks scary and creepy..... But ive traveled all over the Northeast and ive seen worse like parts of Baltimore , North Philly , Camden , parts of Buffalo and DC.....

I'm sure there are WORSE cities, but Newark's still creepy enough. Why would anyone go there when there are much safer places to be? What does it have going for it? Granted, I haven't taken the grand tour of that fair city, but I have to go frequently to Gateway Center, and the beggars and junkies hanging around Penn Station Newark are far more plentiful than those I see in Penn Station New York.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm sure there are WORSE cities, but Newark's still creepy enough. Why would anyone go there when there are much safer places to be? What does it have going for it? Granted, I haven't taken the grand tour of that fair city, but I have to go frequently to Gateway Center, and the beggars and junkies hanging around Penn Station Newark are far more plentiful than those I see in Penn Station New York.
Yea , it has a creepy feeling to me...but at the same time after a while you get used to it. Except at night..... I think Newark is quite charming in some areas , it depends on the person.... Hehe , the beggers and junkies are chased away by the NJT , Amtrak and PA Cops go a few blocks away and you'll see them , the ones in Urban Jersey are quite and not that aggressive. The ones in NYC are aggressive and ask for your $$$ or sometimes steal it....i think we can agree that the tourists fuel there aggression... Which Urban Jersey doesn't have thus ,they don't get the attention they seek. The sad case with the Homeless in Newark is most of them are Vets and state rejects from the Hospitals.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
As long as the murder rate is predictable and confined and Newark remains in the middle of the pack of killer cities all is well.

This is the kind of attitude that keeps Newark the blight it is.
What do you want? 0 murders? Because you're not going to get it.

Quote:
but it is still higher than the 58 murders in 2000.
And in 2000 other crimes like robberies, rape, car thefts, etc. were insanely high, much higher than they are now.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
MARV95 - The stats for those other crimes are unreliable due to the fact that often that are not reported. However, homicides are almost always so.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So true

Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
Newark is a toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey