U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading a LOT of useful posts on here so I wanted to register and get some opinions on locations for a first time home-buyer in NJ.

Just some history... I grew up in Scotch Plains and then moved to the city after I graduated college. Living on a modest income in NYC is not easy, but I loved the experience and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Unfortunately, I decided I didn't want to rent for the rest of my life and had always desired buying property. I like being close to my family and childhood friends in NJ so I decided to come back home and have been living with my parents saving for a down payment on a home.

So that's where I am now, I have saved a decent amount of money and am looking to purchase a home in the 250-300k range.

I still work in NYC and my commute at the moment is pretty dreadful. I take the bus (not the train) from Fanwood station because this way I don't have to change in Newark. That being said, if anyone has driven through the lincoln tunnel at 8:30 in the morning you know how messy that can get. Getting on a direct line to Penn station would be a huge time saver for me.

I'm also still single, so I don't need a big home. Most people have recommended Hoboken or Jersey City to me, but I drive A LOT, especially on weekends so having a car at my place of residence is important.

I have been looking in Woodbridge, New Providence, Chatham, Summit, Madison, Morristown, and now Montclair. The towns as you can imagine all differ a lot but do provide direct lines into NYC. Any towns I'm missing? What would you recommend for a young single male, first time home-buyer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey