Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,655 times

Advertisements

We moved to Ridgewood from Manhattan about 2 months ago. Our deciding factors moving were 1) excellent schools and 2) manageable commute for my husband, who works midtown west.

I was less concerned at the time about religion (we're reform Jewish), though having been here a couple of months now, I see joining a synagogue will be a must to find that sense of Jewish community.

My big concern right now is my 5-year-old. Before we knew we were going to move, she took the ERBs in NY (to get into private school). She scored in the 99.9th percentile. She's very bright. At 5, she can read quite a bit and also writes very well. She loves doing addition and even subtraction (yes, basic, like 9-5, but that's still pretty good for a 5-year-old).

Here's the issue: kindergarten here is only half a day. She's done at 11:20 (whereas in NY she was 9-2). She told my mother last week that she liked school a lot, but that she was different from the other kids. When my mother asked her in what way, she said, "These kids like to do nothing but play....I like to do work. I need to do math. And to read....."

While I'm sure the curriculum in kindergarten is fine, I'm concerned that my daughter isn't being challenged and just isn't "thinking" long enough during the day. I fear eventually she will dumb herself down to fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Are there any options out there for gifted kids? Anyone with any advice? I need help. I can't imagine her wasting the remainder of her afternoons for the year sitting at home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
You could go private full-day kindergarten, or you could supplement the town's 1/2 day with a 1/2 day private (which is a popular option in many towns, especially for working moms). While they may not cover more, repetition and structure can help.

Otherwise... to me, reading is the biggest thing for young kids. Sounds like you're on a good path already, but you could use the extra time to hone those skills. You could even start a young reader club which could turn into an actual book club for kids as she gets older.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You could go private full-day kindergarten, or you could supplement the town's 1/2 day with a 1/2 day private (which is a popular option in many towns, especially for working moms). While they may not cover more, repetition and structure can help.

Otherwise... to me, reading is the biggest thing for young kids. Sounds like you're on a good path already, but you could use the extra time to hone those skills. You could even start a young reader club which could turn into an actual book club for kids as she gets older.
Excellent suggestion. And don't forget that a child's work IS play. Welcome to NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey