Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,601,551 times

Advertisements

Actually 17 has been improved from Paramus & NJ 4 up to the NY line / I-287, it was upgraded, all traffic lights removed and so on. There are some improvements here and there going on. A dualized US 206 has been under construction on a new alignment down by Hillsborough for over a year.

I don't see much brand new highways being built and the State DOT announced that a few years back. Mostly some capacity improvements such as the NJ 3 widening and bridge replacement over the Passaic River, etc.

Instead of building I-95 on a new alignment through NJ what we got, and still don't have is a ramp or interchange to connect the Pennsy Tpike extension to I-95 in PA, That has been in the works for decades and most of us will probably not see it in this lifetime. It was supposed to be built waaaay in the future, like 2008, but now it will probably take til 2025 or so.

A few years back when the State wanted to build NJ 92 they where going to let the NJ Turnpike build it and charge a toll.

I think I-287, the Northern section from Montville NJ to the NY line was the last major piece of unbuilt interstate to be built in the US, which was finished maybe ten or 12 years ago. Along with that NJ widened all of I-287 to 3 lanes, many sections where 2 lanes, but along the way had to fight court battles with the Sierra Club a long while. Finally 287 was widened but the deal was the extra lane was for car pools, meaning 2 or 3 people in each car. Traffic would grind to a halt when you hit the car pool sections because 3 lanes had to merge back to 2. After a few years one of the Gov's I thin Whitman got Fed permission to get rid of the car pool lanes so we could all use the 3 lanes. The empty HOV sign structures are still there in many places.

Last edited by captne76; 10-04-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,912 times
Go visit Washington DC, Atlanta, Boston, or much of CA and tell me again how our traffic is the worst. Given the population density, it's amazing that it works as well as it does.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Go visit Washington DC, Atlanta, Boston, or much of CA and tell me again how our traffic is the worst. Given the population density, it's amazing that it works as well as it does.
You know, I'll second that. In August, I went to visit a friend in Arlington for a few days. Traffic is a friggin' nightmare down there, all the time. I said to my friend, "Wow, I didn't know there was a place where the traffic was worse than Jersey."

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Actually 17 has been improved from Paramus & NJ 4 up to the NY line / I-287, it was upgraded, all traffic lights removed and so on. There are some improvements here and there going on. A dualized US 206 has been under construction on a new alignment down by Hillsborough for over a year.

I don't see much brand new highways being built and the State DOT announced that a few years back. Mostly some capacity improvements such as the NJ 3 widening and bridge replacement over the Passaic River, etc.

Instead of building I-95 on a new alignment through NJ what we got, and still don't have is a ramp or interchange to connect the Pennsy Tpike extension to I-95 in PA, That has been in the works for decades and most of us will probably not see it in this lifetime. It was supposed to be built waaaay in the future, like 2008, but now it will probably take til 2025 or so.

A few years back when the State wanted to build NJ 92 they where going to let the NJ Turnpike build it and charge a toll.

I think I-287, the Northern section from Montville NJ to the NY line was the last major piece of unbuilt interstate to be built in the US, which was finished maybe ten or 12 years ago. Along with that NJ widened all of I-287 to 3 lanes, many sections where 2 lanes, but along the way had to fight court battles with the Sierra Club a long while. Finally 287 was widened but the deal was the extra lane was for car pools, meaning 2 or 3 people in each car. Traffic would grind to a halt when you hit the car pool sections because 3 lanes had to merge back to 2. After a few years one of the Gov's I thin Whitman got Fed permission to get rid of the car pool lanes so we could all use the 3 lanes. The empty HOV sign structures are still there in many places.
I remember them finishing I-287. They took away more than half of Campgaw Mountain Reservation, where we used to hike and hang out. On the plus side, it cut our trip to the Poconos from Bergen County by half an hour.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,113,534 times
Quote:
Right, but the key difference between here and more built up areas, is the space to build it in. 206 runs through rural areas, and most frontage retail/offices in Hillsborough are set well back from the road.

On most highways in Northern NJ, there is literally no way to expand the highway without demolishing dozens of strip malls and other businesses, as you'd make the parking unusuable or other sorts of issues.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
maybe we should build giant highways further out into less built up areas so we can encourage more sprawl and pull population away from the cities.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,601,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe we should build giant highways further out into less built up areas so we can encourage more sprawl and pull population away from the cities.
Except everybody cries "no money for that" anyway.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,029,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Instead of more highways how about a state of the art high speed Monorail system running down the center of I78, I80, GSP direct to the city.
I like that idea.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Except everybody cries "no money for that" anyway.
just cut money from somewhere else and use it to build highways.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,113,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Instead of more highways how about a state of the art high speed Monorail system running down the center of I78, I80, GSP direct to the city..
How about we start with making the RVL and other train lines go direct to the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey