Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM

35 posts, read 169,393 times

Advertisements

I am 23. I live in central Bergen County. I have 3 plus years of magazine reporting/editorial experience and 1.5 years of experience within the broadcast media industry. I am an excellent employee with a following. I am currently unemployed and having trouble obtaining work. I would appreciate any leads especially being as my parents (who are not financially stable) are divorcing and my car broke down this past week. In advance, thank you for your time.

PS - No, I can not even obtain unemployed benefits since all of the work I did within the past three years was freelance/contract (essentially off of the books re: W2 forms). However, I have excellent and highly reputable references to speak on my behalf in conjunction with hard copy samples of my published work. I am posting this in Bergen County forum because I figured this would be the best forum to post in if local work is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Unfortunately the publishing field is dying so finding work will be difficult. I would suggest you re-invent yourself. Do you have a college degree? If so you could probably find work or even go to a staffing agency. I would recommend you familiarize yourself with Excel maybe see if you can take free classes or even learn via YouTube. You can get an entry level job earning more than you would with editorial background doing anything with Excel. You have to reinvent yourself. That is one small example. Become anything and work your way up.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
In the meantime work at something like waiter/bartender that pays well to pay your bills while you look for another job in your field or further your education. These days you have to be willing to jump around and use all your skills.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM

286 posts, read 417,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Unfortunately the publishing field is dying so finding work will be difficult.
As somebody who once dreamed of working in publishing, that is so hard to hear I do realize it is the truth, sadly.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 PM

I appreciate your responses. Before my career I worked many odd jobs since I was a young teen including administrative jobs. Therefore, I am very familiar with most administrative programs. Also, being as I did work in radio and publishing, I am quite familiar with marketing. There were several radio jobs that I was so close to receiving but they chose somebody else. In the meantime I am looking for Account Executive or similar jobs in Bergen County. Does anyone know any companies looking?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous1133 View Post
I appreciate your responses. Before my career I worked many odd jobs since I was a young teen including administrative jobs. Therefore, I am very familiar with most administrative programs. Also, being as I did work in radio and publishing, I am quite familiar with marketing. There were several radio jobs that I was so close to receiving but they chose somebody else. In the meantime I am looking for Account Executive or similar jobs in Bergen County. Does anyone know any companies looking?
Job boards are your friend. Sign up for daily job alerts that fit your criteria. In any case, I would only filter by location.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Another thing I've learned in this no-loyalty business environment. Always update your resume and unless the job is the best thing ever, always be looking for a gig to replace it. Things change from day-to-day in the business world today and it's best to be ready to move on either voluntarily or if you've been forced out.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM

I agree with you EBWick! Right now I am worried. Ideally I would like to find something in radio/editorial/tv right now. I sent my cover letter, resume and references to a couple local Bergen County newspapers but have to heard back. It is really bothering me as I know I am qualified for, at the very very very minimum, a reporter position. Hell, I even applied at New York Sports Club for the time being. Do you know of any related media outlets, businesses or corporations that are or will be hiring?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous1133 View Post
I agree with you EBWick! Right now I am worried. Ideally I would like to find something in radio/editorial/tv right now. I sent my cover letter, resume and references to a couple local Bergen County newspapers but have to heard back. It is really bothering me as I know I am qualified for, at the very very very minimum, a reporter position. Hell, I even applied at New York Sports Club for the time being. Do you know of any related media outlets, businesses or corporations that are or will be hiring?
Some advice:

Unless you plan to work in sales in radio, and even those jobs want experience, don't bother looking in radio in NYC. You don't have anywhere near the experience to be working in Market #1. At most, you could hope for a part-time street position, and working in the city, just crossing the river will burn a lot of what you'll make for the day.

If you want to work in radio, you should be prepared to move around the country, a lot. I'm sure you're already looking at All Access, but if you aren't, start now.

Radio is unforgiving, tough work that doesn't pay a lot. You do it because you love it, not because you want to get rich from it.

I have a few friends who are successful in radio. One is single and has been working his ass off for the last 10 years. Because he is single, he can get by on the paltry salary. Two of them, the only reason they stayed in radio is because their wives were the breadwinners and out-earned them nearly 2 to 1.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
Local blogs (Patch, Baristanet, etc) are starved for content. Hit the streets and submit some freelance material in the hopes of getting a staff job, then take their model to an underserved area and franchise the blog site as editor and hire some ad sale people of try to do both. Alternatively, set up your own blog in these underserved areas then "sell out" to the Patches of the world. Go where the growth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey