Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM

198 posts, read 468,520 times

Advertisements

Wow. What terrible reporting. A 2% point margin on a poll with a sampling error of 2.6% is not a real majority. Clearly we need better math programs if people are reading anything into this. I also wish they would include the basic methodology in these blurbs we get fed through journalism. Did they only call land lines? What times did they call? Were counties evenly represented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 PM

12 posts, read 23,685 times
Of course Christie deserves a second term. This Governor has passed sweeping tenure reform, increased school choice, cut spending, created business incentives, capped property taxes, made government smaller, reduced regulatory red tape, and finally reformed our pension & benefit system. New Jersey has added 55, 300 jobs since he took office. Now, the Governor is fighting for a modest, but well deserved, tax cut. Governor Christie's re-election would ensure we continue to pay our bills, taxes are not increased, and our economy can recover from the recession.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernNJdude View Post
Of course Christie deserves a second term. This Governor has passed sweeping tenure reform, increased school choice, cut spending, created business incentives, capped property taxes, made government smaller, reduced regulatory red tape, and finally reformed our pension & benefit system. New Jersey has added 55, 300 jobs since he took office. Now, the Governor is fighting for a modest, but well deserved, tax cut. Governor Christie's re-election would ensure we continue to pay our bills, taxes are not increased, and our economy can recover from the recession.
Hahaha , I don't even no where to begin... The Employment rate in NJ keeps going up...he hasn't added that many jobs nor has he tried... As for reducing red tape , when did he do that? He has reformed Pensions...you must be living under a rock feeding off the Governors fat...

Old 10-21-2012, 06:47 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
His pension reform unfairly targeted teachers who will be the only group that does not get a COLA for years. Police who can retire early with a much better retirement formula are going to be eligible for the COLA. They can also qualify for a second pension. The politicians who pension spike are in the PERS local pension and they will qualify for the COLA. Only teachers who do not retire early, pension spike or generally qualify to enter a second pension are subject to the loss of COLA for years. It is because their pension was not funded for years by the State. So they end up paying the majority of the cost to fix it while the issues that he used to gin up public outrage do not even apply to them.

The public is easily fooled. No I am not a teacher.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
His pension reform unfairly targeted teachers who will be the only group that does not get a COLA for years. Police who can retire early with a much better retirement formula are going to be eligible for the COLA. They can also qualify for a second pension. The politicians who pension spike are in the PERS local pension and they will qualify for the COLA. Only teachers who do not retire early, pension spike or generally qualify to enter a second pension are subject to the loss of COLA for years. It is because their pension was not funded for years by the State. So they end up paying the majority of the cost to fix it while the issues that he used to gin up public outrage do not even apply to them.

He goes after teachers who make 1/3 less than these donut-eating cops who retire making $130K a year. When did cops start making the money of doctors? Just ridiculous and Christie has done nothing to curb the insane salaries. Mostly because their union hasn't said "mean" things about him

Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 23,685 times
Quote:

First of all, I respect the fact that you seek to debate issues as opposed to personal attacks. The police and firefighters in the state also make some sacrifices under the new pension reform law. I do not agree with all aspects of the law, but I do agree with most of it.

I would urge you to read this;
Hard-fought pension reform now law - NorthJersey.com

Nexis:
We have 55,300 jobs we did not have when the Governor took office. This past May, we had the greatest number of jobs added in 7 years. Governor Christie has cut taxes and regulations

source: http://www.state.nj.us/state/pdf/201...iew-report.pdf

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,618 times
Cops do make a lot of money. I cant believe how much they make and how little gets said about this. What about a cop in Madison,NJ makes him or her so special that they should be make 125k plus? Lots of crime? No crime? Are they responsible for stopping all the crime? So they get merit pay? On the other hand wouldnt cops in Newark make pennies because they cant stop crime? No merit for them.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:

Overall, I am in agreement with the accuracy of what you posted, but...I have to tell you that rank-and-file PERS retirees do NOT get a COLA subsequent to the recent legislation.

It is entirely possible that our esteemed legislators placed an exemption for themselves into the legislation, so that they don't lose this benefit, but I can tell you factually that the PERS retiress much lower down in the pecking order lost their COLA.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
PERS local will get the COLA those in PERS State will not. It is PERS State and the teachers pension that were not funded. The law should have required that before it took effect that all the funds were placed on equal financial footing. The only reason the cops and local PERS were funded is because rather than fund the pensions the State gave towns more aid which they used to fund their pensions. The more expensive pensions and those with the real problems of early retirement, pension spiking and double dipping are the police/fire and the local with the politicians. Those funds will not face the true cost of lost COLA.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,170,113 times
When I see may property tax increase cap at 2.5, Christie will get my vote. On the main time, if a business person challenge him, this person has my vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey