Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Brooklyn, NY
Why are you moving? personal preference
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Brooklyn, NY

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $200k
What kind of place are you looking for ? townhome 2-3br, 1 3/4+ bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? n/a

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Safe place, "city-suburban", diverse, in close proximity (10 minutes) to entertainment. I do not want to be in an area where I see deer in the daytime.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

SAFETY
Price
Family-oriented

If possible within the constraints of my meager budget, I would like a basement and/or a small open space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Woodbrige or Edison maybe at the price range, your pretty limited

Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Hmmm, if you don't want to see deer that definitely takes Mercer County off your list of options. LOL

We've got deer, geese, rabbits, frogs all roaming around. And, all summer the crickets sing until dawn.

You might give some thought to your commute. Will you take the train or drive? What part of B'klyn do you work in? Will you commute during rush hour?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I agree with the others who said that the OP's choices are limited by both his/her price range and by the stipulation that the living environment has to be one without visible wildlife.

For the most part, the NJ locations that are most easily-commutable to Brooklyn are beyond the OP's price range for purchase.

In order to get down to a maximum of $200k purchase price, one needs to look further from NYC, but this means both longer commute times AND a greater likelihood of being in a suburban or rural area where (horrors!) deer or other animals may be visible. (Deer are present...to greater or lesser extents...in all 21 counties of NJ. Even bears can be found in at least 19 counties...)

Perhaps the OP needs to think about rentals in a NJ urban area.

However, the OP's upper-case "Safety" priority will eliminate many reasonably-priced urban areas.
And, in urban areas, one almost always trades those hated deer for rats, mice, and cockroaches, but...you pays your money and you takes your choice, to quote an old saying.

When all is said and done...I'm not sure that there is any area of NJ that meets all of the OP's criteria.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post

Deer are pretty commonly seen in both Woodbridge and Edison, though a bit less often than more suburban areas. I do not think there is anything that fits the OP's criteria - it will either be more expensive, less safe or both. Not to mention the long and hellish commute to Brooklyn.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
South Amboy, South River, Sayerville may work. Rahway or Avenel too. All close to the bridges to SI. Just beware that the traffic will be bad and the tolls horrendous. You might be better off looking at SI itself. I think the taxes are lower there too.

Good luck.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Yeah maybe a smaller old cape in Fords or Lincoln/Washington Villages in South Edison.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Deer are mostly only showing themselves at dawn and dusk anyway. Just curious as to the reason for the OP's anti-deer stance. Not necessary to actually answer this, just never heard of such a demand before.

I personally don't want to see road kill at any time of day or night.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Deer are mostly only showing themselves at dawn and dusk anyway. Just curious as to the reason for the OP's anti-deer stance. Not necessary to actually answer this, just never heard of such a demand before.

I personally don't want to see road kill at any time of day or night.

The other day we saw two deer laying on the side of Rt. 1 within about a mile of each other.

One evening I was on a NJ Transit bus & the driver just managed to stop & not hit two deer that darted out from the sidwalk & ran across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey