Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,195 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

We found a small snake in our basement on the mouse trap. We found some baby mice in the basement a month ago and we put these mouse traps (sticky pads) all over the basement. We are shocked to see this small snake stuck to that this morning. It is about 6-7 inches and very small. Our basement is pretty clean with spider webs here and there and the recent mice. I am worried as the kids are always playing in the basement and want to know if this snake was poisonous. Anyone can tell me how these snakes get to the basement and what is the best way to get rid of these?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

best
aj
Attached Thumbnails
Found Small Snake in my basement..Central Jersey-pic1.jpg   Found Small Snake in my basement..Central Jersey-pic3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
It's not venomous; there's only two venomous snakes in NJ, the copperhead and the timber rattlesnake, and that doesn't look like either. Looks like a king snake (juvenile) to me. Like mice, they can get in through pretty much any tiny hole. And they eat mice (and other snakes). I expect they were in your basement doing a little hunting -- get rid of the mice and you'll probably get rid of the snakes too.

They're harmless; I once grabbed an adult which was holding my garage door shut. Gave me a surprise, I'm expecting to grab what I thought was a power cord that had fallen and I grab a snake. Probably surprised the snake too, but it just dropped off the door and coiled up until I went and got a shovel to evict it.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
First, this is most definitely a non-venomous snake.
Second, since snakes rid our properties of rodents, it is essential that you release this harmless and useful reptile.

Put on some protective gloves, take the glue trap outside, and humanely release the snake. I suggest the gloves because the snake might possibly inflict a defensive bite, even though the bite would be NON-venomous.

I pick up snakes (King, Ribbon, and Garter) frequently, in order to protect them from bikers racing along the D&R Canal pathway. While most people seem to be freaked-out about snakes , I have no problem handling them, and you should try to overcome your fear of this harmless animal.

I semi-agree with Nybbler that it is a King Snake. It is also possible that it is a juvenile Black Racer. Since Black Racers hatch from their eggs in August, it is very possible that this is a Black Racer that was born near your home in the last couple of months.

The presence of this snake in your basement tells me that your mouse problem may well be worse than you suspect. If there wasn't an abundance of mice in your home, the snake would not have come inside. And, since mice can spread some really deadly diseases, such as Hanta Virus, you should be FAR more concerned about the mice than this harmless snake.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:00 PM

23,537 posts, read 17,211,948 times
My guess is a juvenile northern water snake, aka,painted water snake.

These guys are probably the most common snakes and are typically found in and around water.

They are often aggressive, not poisonous, the young snakes take on big meals that you wouldn't expect would be appropriate for their size.

Any streams or ponds around your house?

Any leaking well pumps or after rain pooling?

Snakes are there either to hibernate or for food. No food no snakes.

Se my album for some snakes. Have a juvy painted water snake with a large fish I haven't posted. Gives a good idea of what these guys will go after.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by From NJ View Post
Hi Folks,

We found a small snake in our basement on the mouse trap. We found some baby mice in the basement a month ago and we put these mouse traps (sticky pads) all over the basement. We are shocked to see this small snake stuck to that this morning. It is about 6-7 inches and very small. Our basement is pretty clean with spider webs here and there and the recent mice. I am worried as the kids are always playing in the basement and want to know if this snake was poisonous. Anyone can tell me how these snakes get to the basement and what is the best way to get rid of these?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

best
aj

As the previous posters have mentioned the snake is harmless. You should be more concerned however about the fact that clearly you have holes or crevasses in your foundation which is how the mice and snake are gaining access. You have already had to critters gain entry surely more will follow, especially now that the weather is turning colder. Not only animals (snakes, mice, bugs, etc.) will enter, but so can water, which does a lot of damage. You really need to find any and all holes cracks and crevasses and fill them pronto. It is quite easy to do, ask for assistance at your local hardware store, home depot, or Lowes.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Just to illustrate why you should be less concerned about the presence of a non-venomous, absolutely harmless snake, as opposed to the presence of mice in your home, here is some info from the CDC regarding Hantavirus.

At one time, people thought that this deadly disease only existed in the US Southwest. Then, after the death, from Hantavirus, of a young man on Long Island, whose garage had a mouse infestation, infectious disease experts belatedly realized that this virus is also carried by rodents in the Northeastern US:

CDC - Hantavirus

Worry about those mice, and not about that snake!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:52 PM

31 posts, read 65,346 times
I was gardening this weekend and it was kind of rainy and in my azalea bush was a snake coiled in the branches. He scared the heck out of me and I took pictures of him. This isn't my photo but he looked like this and I am pretty sure he was a garter snake. I don't particularly enjoy snakes but I am glad they are around to kill the mice and other vermin. Ok, I actually hate snakes and they super freak me out, but I always leave them alone and am glad to know someone is eating mice...just as long as I don't have to touch them. Bats and snakes are 2 creatures I am happy to have in the world, since they both eat up other harmful things like mosquitoes and mice, but I am very glad I don't need to associate with them on a regular basis!

There is actually a disease killing the bats and this is bad news for humans since the bats eat all sorts of other insects, including mosquitoes so please:

Be kind to bats and snakes!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:33 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,628 times
It is a northern water snake - completely harmless and non-venomous. Please try and save him.

If you are going to attempt to get him off the glue trap have someone hold his head behind the jaw (he won't be able to do anything to you or the handler then) and get some acetone and Q-tips. Soak the Q-tips in the acetone and use them to gently tease the glue from the body VERY carefully. Apply Vaseline to the areas you have off the trap so they don't get re-stuck. Snakes get a lot of abscesses and if there is too much damage to his skin it would be a long and painful death. Once he is off wipe off the Vaseline with a damp towel and let him go near water.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Hubby will actually never buy a glue stick again after seeing what it does to the mice. It is a very inhumane thing to use and he didn't realize that. It is a long and painful death to the varmits and nothing deserves that.
I think they should be banned. There are other types that are more quick and less painful, torture types.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Hubby will actually never buy a glue stick again after seeing what it does to the mice. It is a very inhumane thing to use and he didn't realize that. It is a long and painful death to the varmits and nothing deserves that.
I think they should be banned. There are other types that are more quick and less painful, torture types.
Agree 100%!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey