Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Try Hudson Harbor. It's on River Road in Edgewater. Doorman, Concierge, gym, laundry, highrise.

I found a 2 bed 2 bath gfor $399,000 for sale.
I did notice a condo available on the MLS. It is a bit pre-mature for us to actually buy. What we would like to do is rent for a year or two to make sure we want to stay in the area and then possibly buy a condo. However, for the right price, we could buy immediately. Mortgage is not an issue for us since I don't believe we will be able to get one so we will have to pay in cash. Another reason to be cautious.

Thanks again. We will make sure to visit Edgewater and Hudson Harbor during our visit. My toughest decision right now is where to stay since we will be looking all over the Metro area including Stamford, New Rochelle, White Plains, and Edgewater/Fort Lee.

Very much appreciate your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Quote:
My wife expressed a preference for a hi-rise with a doorman for several reasons
WOAH NELLY! Now this is REALY specific. Is this a sticking point? Because if it is, it HUGELY narrows your search.
This ain't New York City, son, we don't got a lot of high-rises with doormen! I can tell you that in my county, Bergen County, you'll find that in Hackensack, Edgewater, and Cliffside Park. In Cliffside Park there's Winston Towers (I think) that is wonderful, it's got pools, playgrounds, and the HOA fee is really big, but it includes a membership at this huge gym on the same lot. That gym has tennis courts, swimming pool, I think even a running track in addition to the standard treadmills/weight room.
I would imagine there's more high rises like that in Hudson County

Metro area is a big area. I only really know my small areas. I know them well, but it's not huge areas. Half the reason I want to stay around is just that I'm used to it. Beyond that, I know that I hate driving and like trains, and would much rather ride a train than a bus. And the ferry I don't care for, it's a nice view, but, idunno, feh. Also, it has a really limited schedule.

Obviously the place with the most stuff to do is NYC. Here in Jersey I can tell you at least there's plenty of different ethnic foods to try, but theatres, museums? Not so much. We got amazing parks in Bergen county, if you like that. Great area to own a fluffball

Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thanks much. I was not aware of the Blue Laws. Does this also impact movie theaters? My guess is that theaters would not want to locate themselves in Bergen County.

Also, is Cliffside have a similar demographic to Edgewater or Fort Lee? Thanks for any additional info!
Our Blue Laws are awesome. Thank God we have them! A day free from traffic, noise, pollution, and being able to enjoy time with family & friends without worrying about having to work!

Yes, entertainment places (Including movie theaters) are open 365 days a year.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
WOAH NELLY! Now this is REALY specific. Is this a sticking point? Because if it is, it HUGELY narrows your search.
This ain't New York City, son, we don't got a lot of high-rises with doormen! I can tell you that in my county, Bergen County, you'll find that in Hackensack, Edgewater, and Cliffside Park. In Cliffside Park there's Winston Towers (I think) that is wonderful, it's got pools, playgrounds, and the HOA fee is really big, but it includes a membership at this huge gym on the same lot. That gym has tennis courts, swimming pool, I think even a running track in addition to the standard treadmills/weight room.
I would imagine there's more high rises like that in Hudson County
It's a preference. I think I have already come across Winston Towers. I think there are a few others. Maybe a handful in Fort Lee. If we have a few alternatives it is enough. In White Plains there are maybe 2-3 hi-rises that will fit our budget. In Stamford a few more. Not sure about New Rochelle. I think that the Edgewater/Fort Lee/Cliffside area may have the most possibilities. We currently live in a hi-rise in Chicago near the lake and we have become accustomed to having a maintenance crew, someone to receive packages, etc. Also, she likes saying hello to the neighbors and doorman in the morning. Something she has grown accustomed to. But it is just a preference.

Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Our Blue Laws are awesome. Thank God we have them! A day free from traffic, noise, pollution, and being able to enjoy time with family & friends without worrying about having to work!

Yes, entertainment places (Including movie theaters) are open 365 days a year.
Sounds good. Looking forward to our visit! Thanks for the info.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,078 times
I recommend Horizon House in Fort Lee. Lived there for a few years and loved it. Spectacular views of NYC and the Hudson. Great staff and atmosphere. Deli, doctors offices in the complex. Two outdoor pools, tennis, large playground for the grandchildren. Very well-maintained buildings. It's a co-op, but owners are allowed to issue up to a two-year lease. You still have to go through the board but if your financials are decent it shouldn't be a problem.
[url=http://www.horizon-house.com/]Fort Lee's premier luxury high-rise apartment co-op residence with skyline views of Manhattan[/url]

Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus View Post
I recommend Horizon House in Fort Lee. Lived there for a few years and loved it. Spectacular views of NYC and the Hudson. Great staff and atmosphere. Deli, doctors offices in the complex. Two outdoor pools, tennis, large playground for the grandchildren. Very well-maintained buildings. It's a co-op, but owners are allowed to issue up to a two-year lease. You still have to go through the board but if your financials are decent it shouldn't be a problem.
Fort Lee's premier luxury high-rise apartment co-op residence with skyline views of Manhattan
Thanks much for the suggestion. Does anyone know how well Fort Lee fared during Sandy?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM

573 posts, read 971,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Edgewater/Fort Lee are nice cities right across Manhattan/NYC. Fort Lee has lots of Asians though, and Edgewater is more White.

Keep in mind that both cities are located in Bergen County and are subject to the Blue Laws, which means almost everything is closed on Sundays except food and entertainment places (which is awesome!)
Not anymore. Most of the Edgewater/fort-lee area is korean. There are some pockets that are not but they are generally north of the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thanks much for the suggestion. Does anyone know how well Fort Lee fared during Sandy?
not too well. Lots of power outtages. The 7-11 in whitman plaza by the starbucks was the only place open for awhile.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Not anymore. Most of the Edgewater/fort-lee area is korean. There are some pockets that are not but they are generally north of the bridge.

not too well. Lots of power outtages. The 7-11 in whitman plaza by the starbucks was the only place open for awhile.
Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,698 times
Guys,

be very careful..Edgewater has severe soil and water contamination issues..the truth is being buried by developers and by politicians but see this

http://www.tumblr.com/blog/edgewater...toxic/activity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey