Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are retired at 60 and are moving back to Metro NY from Chicago to be closer to family who live in Brooklyn, Queens, and LI. We are planning a trip to White Plains/Stamford to check out the areas and housing possibilities. Initially we are looking to pay about under $2700 for a 2br/ba in a hi-rise building (preferably updated or built within the last 20 years) and eventually buying a condo at around $450,000.

I'm not very familiar with NJ, but I came about a good amount of housing stock in the Fort Lee/Edgewater area but am totally unfamiliar with the area. We enjoy progressive communities where there are activities, cafe's, theatres (artsy type would be best). Of course, we can always go into the city for this, but it is not clear to me how accessible NYC is from these areas (there is a 30 minute express from White Plains into Grand Central).

I would appreciate any info about what life is like in Edgewater/Ft. Lee. Activities, restaurants, theaters, coffe shops, community groups, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Edgewater has many newly constructed apartment/condo complexes that are right on the water with amazing view of Manhattan.

There is a great bike/walk path that goes right along the water, a really nice park w/tennis courts as well.

There are some very nice restaurants in the area, good shopping, etc. There is a small area with natural food store, wine store which is on the opposite (not the water side) of River Road. River Road runs straight along the water.

The ferry that runs into Manhattan is in Edgewater, actually there are 2 different ferry's you can take. If you are not driving at rush hour, it would probably take less than 30 minutes to get into Manhattan.

If you live in one of the newer complexes, parking wouldn't be an issue for you.

I'm sorry I don't know enought about the theater/arts scene to talk about that.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Edgewater has many newly constructed apartment/condo complexes that are right on the water with amazing view of Manhattan.

There is a great bike/walk path that goes right along the water, a really nice park w/tennis courts as well.

There are some very nice restaurants in the area, good shopping, etc. There is a small area with natural food store, wine store which is on the opposite (not the water side) of River Road. River Road runs straight along the water.

The ferry that runs into Manhattan is in Edgewater, actually there are 2 different ferry's you can take. If you are not driving at rush hour, it would probably take less than 30 minutes to get into Manhattan.

If you live in one of the newer complexes, parking wouldn't be an issue for you.

I'm sorry I don't know enought about the theater/arts scene to talk about that.
Thank you very much for your description of Edgewater. It is very helpful.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,521 times
Edgewater/Fort Lee are nice cities right across Manhattan/NYC. Fort Lee has lots of Asians though, and Edgewater is more White.

Keep in mind that both cities are located in Bergen County and are subject to the Blue Laws, which means almost everything is closed on Sundays except food and entertainment places (which is awesome!)

Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Edgewater/Fort Lee are nice cities right across Manhattan/NYC. Fort Lee has lots of Asians though, and Edgewater is more White.

Keep in mind that both cities are located in Bergen County and are subject to the Blue Laws, which means almost everything is closed on Sundays except food and entertainment places (which is awesome!)
Thanks much. I was not aware of the Blue Laws. Does this also impact movie theaters? My guess is that theaters would not want to locate themselves in Bergen County.

Also, is Cliffside have a similar demographic to Edgewater or Fort Lee? Thanks for any additional info!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thanks much. I was not aware of the Blue Laws. Does this also impact movie theaters? My guess is that theaters would not want to locate themselves in Bergen County.

Also, is Cliffside have a similar demographic to Edgewater or Fort Lee? Thanks for any additional info!
Cliffside Park does have similar demographics on paper. However in reality it has more hispanic group but honestly that not far apart.

While there are many different towns that is up and below the cliff as you drive along river road. If you really want to know demographics, you can use census or google some third party sites that help you get a feel. Rule of thumb is that if you are below the cliff by the water on River Road, demographics is mostly white and asian. Above the cliff is mostly hispanic, indians, and more urban.

Blue laws do not affect movie theaters. It does affect what shops can open and what items can be sold. However nothing that was bothersome as consumer in my opinion. Honestly in my opinion as former resident of Edgewater, blue laws are awesome. It is pain in the butt you can't buy certain things on Sundays but no one is on the road and it is quiet. Except for Sunday, River Road is insanely busy and it is pretty much one road that runs through below the cliff on gold coast of Hudson/Bergen county.

I lived in Edgewater for 3+ years and also at least a year in Palisades Park. I also grew up in NY, Queens specifically and many of my friends are born/raised in NJ Bergen and Hudson county.

Oh forgot to mention, Edgewater has lot of shops. It was Trader Joe, Wholefoods, movie theater, etc. so lot of folks come to Edgewater. Fort Lee has more small shops in town center and has lot more restaurants.

Really though if you live in Edgewater/Fort Lee area, you'll be going back and forth between the two town alot anyway.

Please note though Fort Lee is cheaper than Edgewater for most part and Edgewater is typically more pricey between the two town for renting and buying. Lastly, NJ property taxes hurt so please take that into consideration.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Cliffside Park does have similar demographics on paper. However in reality it has more hispanic group but honestly that not far apart.

While there are many different towns that is up and below the cliff as you drive along river road. If you really want to know demographics, you can use census or google some third party sites that help you get a feel. Rule of thumb is that if you are below the cliff by the water on River Road, demographics is mostly white and asian. Above the cliff is mostly hispanic, indians, and more urban.

Blue laws do not affect movie theaters. It does affect what shops can open and what items can be sold. However nothing that was bothersome as consumer in my opinion. Honestly in my opinion as former resident of Edgewater, blue laws are awesome. It is pain in the butt you can't buy certain things on Sundays but no one is on the road and it is quiet. Except for Sunday, River Road is insanely busy and it is pretty much one road that runs through below the cliff on gold coast of Hudson/Bergen county.

I lived in Edgewater for 3+ years and also at least a year in Palisades Park. I also grew up in NY, Queens specifically and many of my friends are born/raised in NJ Bergen and Hudson county.

Oh forgot to mention, Edgewater has lot of shops. It was Trader Joe, Wholefoods, movie theater, etc. so lot of folks come to Edgewater. Fort Lee has more small shops in town center and has lot more restaurants.

Really though if you live in Edgewater/Fort Lee area, you'll be going back and forth between the two town alot anyway.

Please note though Fort Lee is cheaper than Edgewater for most part and Edgewater is typically more pricey between the two town for renting and buying. Lastly, NJ property taxes hurt so please take that into consideration.
Thanks much for a very informative reply. The information is extremely helpful. Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 PM

286 posts, read 850,947 times
I live in Fort Lee. The taxes can be high as well as housing. But it is safe, many restaurants, coffee shops, and shops. Traffic can be bad since the George Washington Bridge is here. Northern Fort Lee is mostly duplexes (2 units in one house, but not cheaper than single family houses), high rises near the bridge and Mcmansions and mansions in the south Fort Lee.

Plenty of bus stops in Fort Lee to get around and many take you into the city. There is also the cheap Jitney bus near the bridge that take you across and you can jump on the A line subway in NYC. Though you would need a car to get to the malls and movie theaters.

There are alot of Koreans in the area and thus alot of Korean restaurants, supermarkets, and stores.

The Fort Lee/Edgewater area is crowded, but not as crowded as Manhattan.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
I live in Fort Lee. The taxes can be high as well as housing. But it is safe, many restaurants, coffee shops, and shops. Traffic can be bad since the George Washington Bridge is here. Northern Fort Lee is mostly duplexes (2 units in one house, but not cheaper than single family houses), high rises near the bridge and Mcmansions and mansions in the south Fort Lee.

Plenty of bus stops in Fort Lee to get around and many take you into the city. There is also the cheap Jitney bus near the bridge that take you across and you can jump on the A line subway in NYC. Though you would need a car to get to the malls and movie theaters.

There are alot of Koreans in the area and thus alot of Korean restaurants, supermarkets, and stores.

The Fort Lee/Edgewater area is crowded, but not as crowded as Manhattan.
Wonderful information! Thank you very much.

We do want to be in a area that is not as crowded as Manhattan or Brooklyn. Where we live now in Chicago, it is dense but still with all of the parks and open streets it doesn't feel that dense, and since we are near the lake and a bit north of the denser, areas, we get a bit of both worlds.

My wife is Chinese so we would enjoy the Asian influence. We intend to keep at least one car, so getting around would not be a problem as long as the traffic isn't really heavy.

If anyone has recently rented in Fort Lee, Edgewater, or Cliffside, I would really appreciate some idea of what the availability of apartments is like (seeking a 2br/2ba in an upgraded or newer building) and what rent we should expect. I think there are a few condo hi-rises in the area, so any specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
There are many websites you can look for yourself. Trulia is a good one. Just search for apartments in Edgewater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey