Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 15,406 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and figured I'd just throw out some questions to residents in the areas I'm going to talk about. My husband and I are looking into buying our first home, and New Jersey is on the list. With the research I've been doing so far, we like Morris County alot so far. Bergen County seems nice too. We are looking for a SAFE neighborhood, preferably further from areas with high crime rates. We want a more suburban, friendly community. We live in New York City now and want nothing like where we are living now. He works in Staten Island, and I work in Brooklyn right now. So anything within 60 miles is doable for us. Our price range is probably maxed out at like 350k. We don't currently have any children..just a puppy. I guess i am trying to narrow down lists of towns that I have researched in those two counties and wanted to get an idea from you guys which you feel would be a good idea to really look into deeper. Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM

208 posts, read 545,223 times
I'm always amazed by the amount of commuting people are willing to put up with! I currently live less than 10 miles from work and just hate the drive back home...

Having said that I also think Morris county is beautiful, especially like Chester, but for 350k you'd have to settle for a small old house in that area.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Im willing to commute to have a better quality of life in a nicer neighborhood and to get the hell out of the city lol. My friends all love jersey that live there, so why not.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
take a look at the 'sticky' on the 1st page which would help people to better answer your post.

Also, what towns have you looked at in Morris County that you like (or dislike)?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
I'm always amazed by the amount of commuting people are willing to put up with! I currently live less than 10 miles from work and just hate the drive back home...

Having said that I also think Morris county is beautiful, especially like Chester, but for 350k you'd have to settle for a small old house in that area.
Forget Chester for $350,000. But for $350,000 I'd look at Roxbury, Mt. Arlington, Jefferson, Rockaway, Mount Olive, Wharton, Dover, etc. You can get a decent 2,000+/- square foot Bi-Level, Split Level, Cape, or Ranch on 1/4 to 2/3 acre in a quiet suburban setting. The commute can be a challenge, but it depends on what time you leave. Before 6:30AM or so and it's not bad.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniLooch View Post
Im willing to commute to have a better quality of life in a nicer neighborhood and to get the hell out of the city lol. My friends all love jersey that live there, so why not.
Unless you can have flexible schedules and/or work from home from time to time, a commute IS a big part of quality of life. Just my .02

I used to commute only 40 minutes and after 3 years I was done. Now I only have a 10 minute commute and I feel like I have so much more time on my hands and far less stress.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Thanks. Im going to look into those areas you mentioned Marc.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Unless you can have flexible schedules and/or work from home from time to time, a commute IS a big part of quality of life. Just my .02

I used to commute only 40 minutes and after 3 years I was done. Now I only have a 10 minute commute and I feel like I have so much more time on my hands and far less stress.

You are right. I figure we will just be doing that traveling until we can secure good jobs in the area we move. We just don't know how long that will take, so we are planning for the travel right now.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
take a look at the 'sticky' on the 1st page which would help people to better answer your post.

Also, what towns have you looked at in Morris County that you like (or dislike)?

Morris county overall, we like. Ive read great things about it online, have a few friends who live near Parsippany and love it. I liked Parsippany, Montville, but also in bergen County, we like Mahwah. I hear Dover is nice also. Not sure what the price ranges in those areas look like though...within our budget I mean.

Then of course, peopel are telling me areas iN Central jersey are nice too, but I did no research there so far.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniLooch View Post
Morris county overall, we like. Ive read great things about it online, have a few friends who live near Parsippany and love it. I liked Parsippany, Montville, but also in bergen County, we like Mahwah. I hear Dover is nice also. Not sure what the price ranges in those areas look like though...within our budget I mean.

Then of course, peopel are telling me areas iN Central jersey are nice too, but I did no research there so far.
Dover is not so great. The commute from Morris Cty would be pretty awful IMO. Northern Middlesex County (Edison, Woodbridge) are much closer to SI. You might want to start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey