Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The people in camping tents in Union Beach were not getting help from what I know.
People will be out there again tomorrow to see what else is needed.
Hoping to get a warm shelter set up for them. Babies & children should not be living in tents in this cold.
Not gonna argue with that. But, are they? I am not sure I understand what you mean by they are not "getting help". Have they applied for shelter assistance? I know FEMA has been to Union Beach, but not sure of details as to all of the residents and where they went. However, a simple search on Google brought up a number of articles and photos of FEMA working in Union Beach with residents, so it's not as though they haven't been there.

ALSO, please people--if you have a couple of bucks to spare, the Monmouth County SPCA has taken in a lot of pets to help people who are living in shelters/hotels/alternate housing because of the storm and can't keep their pets with them. They can use donations.

http://monmouthcountyspca.org/support/

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-19-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Here is a good post-Sandy story:
Finding joy among the wreckage: Family photos returned post-Sandy - CNN.com

Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I agree with this article:
New Yorkers give NJ's Christie highest marks for storm response | Reuters

Old 11-23-2012, 03:18 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Where to begin. We moved to TN. Several women in TN contacted me about making a Donation run "up north" and the where/how of the donation was left to me. The donations were generous and I was depending on friends and family to let me know where to donate - based on need this weekend. Last night, over dinner, a friend commented to me a bout how badly hit my childhood summer home town was hit and so today, we went to see. At first all I could see was the destruction, but everywhere we looked were people hard at work, garbage trucks and front end loaders taking away the debris, loading it into huge piles around the town. There was hope and determination and a sense of hard work trying to rebuild.

So that was it, that was where we were going to leave our donations.
I headed to the town hall - which was closed but the church next door was bustling. I spoke to the pastor and the assistant. When they heard we mostly had gift cards, they were ecstaticand someone came needing just that kind of help while we talking. Gift card in, gift card out. Followed by a van full of volounteer contractors from Baltimore.

No, all will not be returned to what it was, but it will be rebuilt; that is not in doubt.

The Jersey Girls in TN Sandy Relief effort will go a long way to helping. Thanks, ladies in Knoxville and Nashville. Way to go, Jersey spirit.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have to say--I've not been a fan of Christie, but he showed leadership during and after this storm that's rare in a politician today. When it came to the time that it was needed, he really stepped up. He wins points from me.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:22 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Where to begin. We moved to TN. Several women in TN contacted me about making a Donation run "up north" and the where/how of the donation was left to me. The donations were generous and I was depending on friends and family to let me know where to donate - based on need this weekend. Last night, over dinner, a friend commented to me a bout how badly hit my childhood summer home town was hit and so today, we went to see. At first all I could see was the destruction, but everywhere we looked were people hard at work, garbage trucks and front end loaders taking away the debris, loading it into huge piles around the town. There was hope and determination and a sense of hard work trying to rebuild.

So that was it, that was where we were going to leave our donations.
I headed to the town hall - which was closed but the church next door was bustling. I spoke to the pastor and the assistant. When they heard we mostly had gift cards, they were ecstaticand someone came needing just that kind of help while we talking. Gift card in, gift card out. Followed by a van full of volounteer contractors from Baltimore.

No, all will not be returned to what it was, but it will be rebuilt; that is not in doubt.

The Jersey Girls in TN Sandy Relief effort will go a long way to helping. Thanks, ladies in Knoxville and Nashville. Way to go, Jersey spirit.
Thanks so much for doing that!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Let's face it people, we've got to be prepped for the future. History repeats itself:

--In 1992 nobody thought Andrew was going to be a big deal, then it destroyed Miami/Dade County.
--In 2005 nobody thought Katrina was going to break the levies, and then it went on to completely wreck New Orleans.
--In 2012 everyone thought Sandy was going to be another Irene, then it went on to be the 2nd costliest Atlantic Hurricane on record.

For those that are curious, costliest hurricanes are: Katrina, Sandy, Ike, Wilma, Andrew -- in that order.

The fact of the matter is in all the hurricanes mentioned above, they all had sustained peak winds of over 150 MPH. Katrina and Andrew being the highest at 175 MPH. Sandy's peak winds were a mere 110 MPH, a low category 2. When it passed over NJ, the winds were barely over 100. Yet this hurricane went on to be the second costliest on record? I think it's a message that our mass transit, power systems, building codes, and overall infrastructure failed us hard. It's already fragile during rush hour, now we all have seen what a small hurricane can and will do to our metro area. Just imagine if a Hurricane Andrew passed over NJ with winds of 165 MPH (same as when they hit Homestead, FL.) Most people in Morris and Somerset counties wouldn't just have power, they wouldn't have homes.

I feel when a natural disaster hits an area hard, it's the people that come together and help each other out. I was amazed how many power crews came from other states. In my area lots from NC and OH. It sucked to loose power for 13 days but I know that so many people had (and have) it so much worse and it COULD have been SO much worse.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not gonna argue with that. But, are they? I am not sure I understand what you mean by they are not "getting help". Have they applied for shelter assistance? I know FEMA has been to Union Beach, but not sure of details as to all of the residents and where they went. However, a simple search on Google brought up a number of articles and photos of FEMA working in Union Beach with residents, so it's not as though they haven't been there.
From what I understand now of the situation; there was no shelter within a close distance; so they stayed in the comping tents. The Red Cross went out & from what I heard; got another shelter location going for them. I have not had time to follow up on it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The fact of the matter is in all the hurricanes mentioned above, they all had sustained peak winds of over 150 MPH. Katrina and Andrew being the highest at 175 MPH. Sandy's peak winds were a mere 110 MPH, a low category 2. When it passed over NJ, the winds were barely over 100. Yet this hurricane went on to be the second costliest on record? I think it's a message that our mass transit, power systems, building codes, and overall infrastructure failed us hard. It's already fragile during rush hour, now we all have seen what a small hurricane can and will do to our metro area. Just imagine if a Hurricane Andrew passed over NJ with winds of 165 MPH (same as when they hit Homestead, FL.) Most people in Morris and Somerset counties wouldn't just have power, they wouldn't have homes.
My hub was working in FL right after Sandy hit us. He said everyone he spoke to said they were surprised it did so much damage

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
And today, we went to Staten Island.I thought the Jersey shore was hit hard - and it was; but parts of SI look like parts of NO after Katrina with the Green/yellow certificates on house doors. My good friend's house has a green sticker; the 5 houses across the street all have yellow. Green is safe to return to begin the job of repair and demo. Other houses are gone all together. The National Park Service 2 parks are inhabited by tents and supplies - insurance companies with a 24/7 presence; bottled water everywhere - and the police. I lived on SI for 15 years and never saw such a police presence - not even 9/11.

Tonight we are in Clinton, NJ and the hotel parking lot is filled with electric repair trucks from many different states. There's a sign in the lobby from an elementary school class thanking all the workers who travelled from other states to help out. The damage here is so wide-spread and covers such an enormous area, it's going to take a long time to repair and replace what was. Thanks to all who have sent help from all over the country, the work is proceeding.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Let's face it people, we've got to be prepped for the future. History repeats itself:

--In 1992 nobody thought Andrew was going to be a big deal, then it destroyed Miami/Dade County.
--In 2005 nobody thought Katrina was going to break the levies, and then it went on to completely wreck New Orleans.
--In 2012 everyone thought Sandy was going to be another Irene, then it went on to be the 2nd costliest Atlantic Hurricane on record.

For those that are curious, costliest hurricanes are: Katrina, Sandy, Ike, Wilma, Andrew -- in that order.

I feel when a natural disaster hits an area hard, it's the people that come together and help each other out. I was amazed how many power crews came from other states. In my area lots from NC and OH. It sucked to loose power for 13 days but I know that so many people had (and have) it so much worse and it COULD have been SO much worse.
I thought they were not calling this a hurricane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey