Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,659,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
I am not quite sure what you are getting at. I assure you, I was there when the storm hit. Scary does not do it justice. Any help was welcomed. I tried getting a place off the island before hand and could not. I had over 4ft of water in my house.
i never said it wasnt scary especially for people watching water rise in their homes or maybe hearing a tree falling into their roof. i just said that there are a lot of people that like to talk non-stop about an upcoming weather event and get hysterical because they enjoy the hysteria. those people are doing it for their own entertainment, not because they care about anybody. i dont think it matters if a storm is the worst in the world or if its ranked very low compared to other storms. to someone who had damage, got hurt, etc. that smaller storm was probably worse than any hurricane they have ever been through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,973,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i never said it wasnt scary especially for people watching water rise in their homes or maybe hearing a tree falling into their roof. i just said that there are a lot of people that like to talk non-stop about an upcoming weather event and get hysterical because they enjoy the hysteria. those people are doing it for their own entertainment, not because they care about anybody. i dont think it matters if a storm is the worst in the world or if its ranked very low compared to other storms. to someone who had damage, got hurt, etc. that smaller storm was probably worse than any hurricane they have ever been through.
and basically, as long as the storm didn't effect YOU or one of the few people you might care about, then you really don't care. Your words here in various threads make that abundantly clear.

Someone else named it and they were so right - NPD.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
and basically, as long as the storm didn't effect YOU or one of the few people you might care about, then you really don't care. Your words here in various threads make that abundantly clear.

Someone else named it and they were so right - NPD.
you dont care. you just pay lip service to make yourself feel good about yourself.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
you dont care. you just pay lip service to make yourself feel good about yourself.

Projecting to make yourself feel better? I have no need to justify myself to you. I know what I have done to help. You need to be looking inward.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Projecting to make yourself feel better? I have no need to justify myself to you. I know what I have done to help. You need to be looking inward.

you did the world a great favor by engaging in hysteria over an upcoming weather event. you further assisted people in need by discussing on an internet forum how terrible of a storm we had in the area. im very impressed by all the caring that you demonstrated in this threat. you should be very proud of yourself.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM

41 posts, read 213,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
OK great, Sparky, so channel some of the energy from that tantrum into reading up on meteorology and you will learn that your comment about a Cat 3 storm being "way overdue" is illogical nonsense.

Predicting weather is all about probability. It is infused in all aspects of meterological modelling and forecasting. Have you read a professional forecast lately? Oh and I'm pretty sure that I forgot more about meteorology last week than you've ever known.

But here is an example from today's NY Metro weather discussion:

Note the profuse usage of terms like chance, probably, "POPS" (which means probability of precipitation), expected.

It's all about the probabilities. And anyone with even the most rudimentary understanding of probability and statistics understands that weather events are not "due" or "overdue" based on their recently observed frequencies of occurrence.

So I never again want to hear you say that we are "due" to have a Cat 3. And for your own intellectual benefit, expand that concept to existence in general. Most people who think along the lines of things being "overdue" to happen are sloppy thinkers. You don't want that.
Once again, you are going off topic. Forecasting rain has absolutely NOTHING to do with forecasting a hurricane, NOTHING. get that into your head. They only use those words to make sure they won't get in trouble if they're wrong. Stop arguing, there hasn't been a period longer than 60 years that the northeast hasn't had a major hurricane so YES it IS periodical. Why are you bothering? I know a lot more than you do about the category so why don't you think again about who's the sloppy thinker here, and i dont know why you advertise on a skyscraper forum... adding to my ignore list now, so I hope you don't think insulting will win you arguments in the future... we'll see whos right here once it actually hits this summer

Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM

i hear tuckers on lbi wont be re-opening. this is sad news for me as its one of my favorites since we got the lbi house in '91.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
i hear tuckers on lbi wont be re-opening. this is sad news for me as its one of my favorites since we got the lbi house in '91.
Great, it's truly touching that SOMETHING from Sandy actually saddened you.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,670,830 times
Quote:
LOL - tuckers was totally overrated anyway IMHO. Think Houlihans on LBI.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
yes, i am a victim of hurricane sandy now.

they had a yummy chicken quesadilla. always had trouble finding a good entree but i still liked it there. they made a chicken finger appetizer using capn crunch cereal, my daughter probably would have enjoyed that this summer. oh and houlihans is also great to have so convenient. i get the lettuce wraps and the fajita there. sometimes ill get the heartland chicken salad and ill have them buffallo sauce the chicken. im not really sure if tuckers or houlihans are highly rated, they just do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey