Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM

47 posts, read 148,068 times

Advertisements

My Real Estate agent gave me a listing to an open house. She couldn't go with us so she gave me her card to give to them. When we got there, I didn't tell them that I was there from another agent.

I really like the place and will probably give them an offer.

Should I just tell them about my other agent that introduced me to the property? I don't want to pay any extra agent fees. I do feel bad though, but not thousands of dollars extra bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
The Seller Pay the Commission, not the buyer. And it the same % its just how that % is divided up.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Seller Pay the Commission, not the buyer. And it the same % its just how that % is divided up.
I thought so too, but I think in my agents offer contract it says that I owe commission too.

Plus, even if the owner pays it, it may influence my offer. It is all baked in anyhow.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM

Do you have a buyer agent? They represents you? or just a 'agent' who you work with (who really works for the seller (get paid by) ?)

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM

I believe I did sign a buyers agent agreement when I made my last offer.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07039 View Post
My Real Estate agent gave me a listing to an open house. She couldn't go with us so she gave me her card to give to them. When we got there, I didn't tell them that I was there from another agent.

I really like the place and will probably give them an offer.

Should I just tell them about my other agent that introduced me to the property? I don't want to pay any extra agent fees. I do feel bad though, but not thousands of dollars extra bad...
So you are prepared to cheat your agent?
Are you also prepared to go through the transaction without any representation?

At least step up & have the decency to tell your agent, "Hey, I believe (probably mistakenly) that I can save a few dollars by ignoring the agreement & relationship we have, and by having the listing agent write my offer for me. See ya."

By the way, it's likely "your" agent will still be able to go to the listing agent to get a commission, once it is proved that you saw the property because of her efforts. Knowing that possibility exists, do you think the listing agent is going to accept a reduced commission?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,838 times
Seems pretty slimey to me.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So you are prepared to cheat your agent?
Are you also prepared to go through the transaction without any representation?

At least step up & have the decency to tell your agent, "Hey, I believe (probably mistakenly) that I can save a few dollars by ignoring the agreement & relationship we have, and by having the listing agent write my offer for me. See ya."

By the way, it's likely "your" agent will still be able to go to the listing agent to get a commission, once it is proved that you saw the property because of her efforts. Knowing that possibility exists, do you think the listing agent is going to accept a reduced commission?
Fair enough. I suppose I'll take care of it. Just annoying. This agent really isn't the greatest and it seems stupid paying for something where I do not get the service that I am looking for. What is fair is fair, I suppose.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Your 'agreement' is most likely with the Broker that the agent works for. If you don't like the agent you are working with, go into the office, and talk to the Office manager/Broker, and ask to be re-assigned to a different agent at that broker.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallic07039 View Post
annoying. This agent really isn't the greatest and it seems stupid paying for something where I do not get the service that I am looking for.
Who did the research, found the listing, and provided the info to you? Has this realtor also given you info on other homes? etc. You take a chance, letting the seller's realtor draft the contract for you.
An earlier comment correctly noted, that the commission is normally a flat percentage (generally 5%); the only issue is how the realtors chop it up amongst themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey