Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,294,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Right off the top of my head I'd say you have to look no further than Morristown. It fits all of your criteria to a "T" Midtown direct trains (about 65 minutes to NYC Penn Station) Easy/fast commute to Whippany. Wonderful vibrant downtown filled with diverse restaurants and shopping. Good schools too.

KoalaNJ
+1 on Morristown. However, that midtown direct trains stinks. I did that for four years before moving to JC. I wanted to hang myself. The train breaks down frequently and Penn Station is disgusting, most of the escalators are broken and the mad rush down narrow stairwells to get to the train is sickening. Of course that's just getting to Penn Station. From there you need to take the 1, 2, or 3 train to Times Square and then take the Shuttle (S) to midtown. Yuck. I am getting the shakes thinking about it right now...brrrr!

Oh and many times the train is redirected to Hoboken because of line problems getting into Penn Station. This makes for some of the most wonderful days of your life.

All that said, Morristown is great and that part of NJ is really great. If your husband can handle the commute, then I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 AM

34 posts, read 131,935 times
Hi Guys,.. any ideas on commuting from Iselin/metropark to Whippany NJ? (i guess driving is the only option ?) how bad is te traffic / any other relevant details on the drive between these 2 towns in rush hour?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:22 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,438,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovS View Post
Hi Guys,.. any ideas on commuting from Iselin/metropark to Whippany NJ? (i guess driving is the only option ?) how bad is te traffic / any other relevant details on the drive between these 2 towns in rush hour?

Thanks for all the help!
Yes driving is pretty much your only option. (you may be able to take a train to a bus and then IF the job in near rte 10 walk, but that would be a nightmare!) Your drive commute time will be around 1.5 hr each way. I have done the metropark to Morristown drive during rush and it is a real PITA. Heck it'd be easier to commute from Jersey City than Iselin.

KoalaNJ

Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Thanks KoalaNJ.. from the map i thought it wouldnt be so bad.. Is GSP North the bottleneck? or 24 W?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:36 PM

91 posts, read 374,574 times
A good friend and colleague of mine is Indian and used to live at the Waterfront. She looked in the Essex County area for a home for the same reasons as you -- vibrancy, diversity, walkable downtown and good schools. She settled on Glen Ridge after viewing properties in Montclair, Maplewood and Millburn. She is now in her second home in Glen Ridge and she loves it. Many of her Indian friends who also lived at the Waterfront or in other Jersey City buildings have moved to the area, as well. She'd would be very happy to speak with you and share her experiences and information regarding the towns you are considering. If you would like to contact her, please direct message me and I will pass along her number and email address.

Sloan Berman

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
Hi! I lived in Montclair upon my move to US in 1989 and I absolutely loved it! I found it very friendly, cultured and cosmopolitan. After getting married I moved to Berkeley Hts and realized I've moved into a dessert. Montclair has a fantastic vibe, Summit I find too snobbish and very expensive, don't really know Morristown. But in between there is Madison and Chatham; walkable towns with good restaurants at - at least- a movie theater that will play a foreign movie once in a while.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i explored Maplewood and Rutherford and must say was very disappointed with no diversity and life in these towns.
Plan to now explore Montclair, thought its less than 20 miles from Whippany, someone mentioned the commute will be a pain, wondering if it is so.
Morristown and Parsippany are too far fron NYC and more than 65 minutes of train ride only, so they are out. Guess we will have to venture out towards south of jersey, Iselin/Metuchen if we are not able to find home in Montclair.
Any suggestions/inputs on towns greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,052,063 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i explored Maplewood and Rutherford and must say was very disappointed with no diversity and life in these towns.
Plan to now explore Montclair, thought its less than 20 miles from Whippany, someone mentioned the commute will be a pain, wondering if it is so.
Morristown and Parsippany are too far fron NYC and more than 65 minutes of train ride only, so they are out. Guess we will have to venture out towards south of jersey, Iselin/Metuchen if we are not able to find home in Montclair.
Any suggestions/inputs on towns greatly appreciated.
Metuchen's a nice small town more in the mold of Rutherford but hardly diverse & "lively"

Montclair is still the best of what you're looking for.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Thank you everyone for your inputs, we have kinda finalized on Montclair as the town we want to move to.

Does anyone have any idea on how the drive from Montclair to Whippany is like, its a distance of around 18 miles.
But just wanted to check if anyone knows how the drive is, are there any bottlenecks, i am hoping to cover this drive in half an hour or so. Any inputs, thanks.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,946,788 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your inputs, we have kinda finalized on Montclair as the town we want to move to.

Does anyone have any idea on how the drive from Montclair to Whippany is like, its a distance of around 18 miles.
But just wanted to check if anyone knows how the drive is, are there any bottlenecks, i am hoping to cover this drive in half an hour or so. Any inputs, thanks.
Are talking about commuting in rush hour? You'll mostly be going opposite the worst traffic and probably dropping down to travel via 280 or Rt 10. I would guess that is closer to 40-45 minutes depending on exact locations in each town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey