Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,713 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved to NJ and thought of taking this downturn as opportunity to buy our first home. We set our focus on Middlesex county. We are looking for something in the price range of 400 to 530k in 3-4 mile radius of metropark or metuchen NJT station.

We looked few houses in Fords and North edison and we are thinking why there is a vast difference in price range between these two areas?

Can any one compare pros and cons of these two areas? Also suggestion for other areas in middlesex county(nearby NJT transit) are also welcome.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 AM

312 posts, read 1,161,305 times
With mortgage rates so low and houses sitting on the market for so long, now is a great time to buy. The big price difference between Fords and North Edison is due to school districts. North Edison is regarded as having very good schools while Fords is part of Woodbridge township which is not as highly regarded. I currently live in North Edison about 2 miles from Metuchen train station and 5 miles from Metropoark. It is a very convenient area to live and is relatively quiet. We currently use Metropark station because the waiting list for parking was only 6 months while Metuchen waiting list is like 4 years. If you want to move to the area Metuchen/North Edison are really the nicest towns with the best school systems. You will get less for your money in Metuchen however.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 AM

23,358 posts, read 17,037,921 times
Default One vote for Fords

Fords along New Brunswick ave is a settled neighborhood with Metuchen train station about 5 mile down the road. Metropark, 7 minutes away, Perth Amboy train station 5 minutes away, bus lines run down NB ave to New Brunswick. Parkway, turnpike, 287, rts1,9,35 major north south routes within a mile. Walk to bank, PO, restaurants. Good schools. Ferry to Manhattan 5 minutes away in south Amboy, Newark airport 18 minutes away. !5 minutes for RU, Keane and Middlesex co colleges. 30 minutes to Sandy Hook. Closer to Perth Amboy hospital in Fords. Closer to JFK in Edison. Experience says, go to Perth Amboy hospital if possible. Both places about the same from RW Johnson in New Brunswick.

Land locked in N Edison. Nice development, excellent location. No real town to speak of.

Metuchen is also a good choice and qualifies as a town rather than a section of a township.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,292,986 times
The schools in Fords are marginal at best. My mother was the chief clerk at Fords Middle School for over 10 years, and some of the stories she brought home were beyond belief. FMS gets alot of the kids from Hopelawn and Keasbey, which are some of the bad areas of Woodbridge Township. There's no comparing the schools in Fords to those in North Edison.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:10 AM

341 posts, read 676,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The schools in Fords are marginal at best. My mother was the chief clerk at Fords Middle School for over 10 years, and some of the stories she brought home were beyond belief. FMS gets alot of the kids from Hopelawn and Keasbey, which are some of the bad areas of Woodbridge Township. There's no comparing the schools in Fords to those in North Edison.
I respectfully disagree with your claim that Hopelawn and Keasbey are "bad" areas. There seems to be a trend on the NJ forum claiming that working-class, blue-collar neighborhoods are "bad." I am assuming that by "bad" you mean dangerous. If that is the case, Hopelawn and Keasbey are no where near "bad," in my opinion.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,468,441 times
Why dont you try closeby Metuchen or S. Plainfield? - both safe towns with good school districts.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,713 times
Thanks all for your response. I have set my sight on Norht Edison but bit confuse about what you called N. Edison and S. Edison(NJ newbie ). Can anyone confirms schools/area comes under North edison?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 AM

312 posts, read 1,161,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Find View Post
Thanks all for your response. I have set my sight on Norht Edison but bit confuse about what you called N. Edison and S. Edison(NJ newbie ). Can anyone confirms schools/area comes under North edison?
North Edison zoned High School is JP Stevens so that is what you are looking for when you look at listings. Also zip code is 08820.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,450,860 times
And the N. Edison middle schools are Woodrow Wilson and John Adams. There are several elementary schools; I don't remember all of them.

Fords is fine; it's a safe, somewhat blue-collar area, but I'm sure the N. Edison schools would be better. (I grew up in S. Edison.)

Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 PM

43 posts, read 163,827 times
You can't compare N.Edison to Fords. I know residents of Fords will probably get defensive, which is fine....they're trying to make the best of where they're living. But if I actually had a choice, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I checked out a preschool in Fords & hated it. The moment I stepped in, I can tell it was a rougher population of kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey