U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 PM

30 posts, read 37,804 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? - Gowanus, Brooklyn (South Park Slope)
Why are you moving? - Need a bigger place, priced out of NYC
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? - Midtown, few blocks from Penn station

Will you buy or rent? - Rent
What is your budget ? - Not looking to spend more than $1,000.00 monthly on rent including utilities, could add $100.00 to that for a really good deal.
What kind of place are you looking for ? - 2 or 3 bedroom

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? - Eventually my fiancee and her 2 young daughters will be moving in.
Do you need/want good public schools? - yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in - safety is the most important. Needs to be near supermarket, etc. I do not have a car and do not plan on one.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance - 1. short commute (no longer than 30 minutes to Penn) 2. safety 3. family oriented

I am looking into Jersey City. I've been seeing a lot of good-sounding deals on Craigslist in the Journal Square area, although from this forum it doesn't seem to be a very safe area. But if it's gentrifying, how long until it gets as safe as the Exchange place area?
Do not see many listings for places in Downtown JC or the Waterfront on Craigslist. The problem with a Realtor or one of those online realty sites is that every single one of them has tons of terrible reviews on Yelp.com! Does anyone know of a decent, honest Realtor? I don't want to find out the super won't fix anything or they raise my rent 20% after 1 year (I have heard those stories).

If JC doesn't look good for me, what other places (if any) would fit my needs and situation?
I'm hoping to get a place by the new year.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,803,548 times
If you're looking for a local broker, your best bet is probably to come to Jersey City and visit some of the brick-and-mortar brokerages. There are a bunch lining Grove St in downtown, so that's a good place to start.

That said, $1000/month for a 2BR+ is totally unrealistic in Jersey City, even the really bad areas (let alone Journal Square or downtown). You'll have to increase that to at least $1400 or so for Journal Square or around $1800 for downtown, and even then you're looking at pretty low-quality apartments. Jersey City is only somewhat cheaper than Brooklyn, not dramatically so (though when combined with not paying NYC income taxes the advantage can be significant).

Last edited by BrownstoneNY; 10-26-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 34,801 times
Have you thought about Hoboken or Weehawken? You can take the ferry to Midtown from either of those locations.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
If you're looking for a local broker, your best bet is probably to come to Jersey City and visit some of the brick-and-mortar brokerages. There are a bunch lining Grove St in downtown, so that's a good place to start.

That said, $1000/month for a 2BR+ is totally unrealistic in Jersey City, even the really bad areas (let alone Journal Square or downtown). You'll have to increase that to at least $1400 or so for Journal Square or around $1800 for downtown, and even then you're looking at pretty low-quality apartments. Jersey City is only somewhat cheaper than Brooklyn, not dramatically so (though when combined with not paying NYC income taxes the advantage can be significant).
I agree. You're not going to find any "deals" in worthwhile areas of Jersey City, or Hudson County for that matter. You might be better off looking in cheaper parts of Queens or Brooklyn itself.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM

30 posts, read 37,804 times
BrownstoneNY - I just checked Craigslist and I saw at least 6 2 bedroom apartments listed from $925.00 to $1000.00 in Journal Square. They are all renovated. The pictures looked good. Is there something I'm missing?

vic2847 - I never thought about taking a ferry but I'll look into Weehawkin and Hoboken.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM

3,984 posts, read 6,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromGowanus View Post
BrownstoneNY - I just checked Craigslist and I saw at least 6 2 bedroom apartments listed from $925.00 to $1000.00 in Journal Square. They are all renovated. The pictures looked good. Is there something I'm missing?

vic2847 - I never thought about taking a ferry but I'll look into Weehawkin and Hoboken.
Ferry is very expensive compared to the PATH train. One way trip is now $9 (ridiculous IMO) compared to $2.25 on PATH.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,803,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TfromGowanus View Post

Lots of stuff on Craigslist is fake/exaggerated. It's possible that these are real, but IMO unlikely. Most likely, they're not in Journal Square at all but miles away down in Greenville or something, where you definitely don't want to live.

$1400 might have been a bit of an overstatement, though. $1200 is probably enough. Jersey City is 100% rent controlled (except new developments), so it is possible to stumble across incredible deals.

Also, Jersey City has an underperforming public school system, which you indicated was important. Not as bad as some parts of NYC, but not nearly as good as any of the schools covering Park Slope and Gowanus.

Edit: Did a quick Craigslist search. Turned up one listing at $1000 with no pictures that is about 10 minutes walk from Journal Square (probably real but terrible condition), one listing at $1000 with pictures in McGinley Square about 25 minutes walk from Journal Square that apparently does not come with a refrigerator and is therefore an illegal apartment, one gussied-up listing from a brokerage that is almost certainly fake, as they always are, another illegal listing in McGinley Square that lacks an oven/stove, and a 3BR down in the worst part of Greenville that's claiming to be "near Journal Square". So...

Last edited by BrownstoneNY; 10-27-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,804,020 times
You are not going to get what you are looking for that price in JC, Hoboken, really any place with short easy access to city or good school district.

Also if public school is important to you, you will need to move out much further with that budget or raise your budget. Because public schools in JC sucks, it's pretty bad. So is Hoboken's. I know it's getting really expensive in Brooklyn but just going across to NJ won't net you that much bigger space. NJ towns nearby city are also expensive, not as much as hot parts in Brooklyn but nonetheless it is still quite expensive.

Also don't get fooled by scams in JC for 1k for 2bedroom, etc. Most are scams or illegal apartment and even if they are not...not places where you'd want to raise young children.

Based on your criteria, you won't get what you are looking for. Don't waste your time trying to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or