Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times

Advertisements

Okay I work 12 hour days 7 days a week. Yes I heard some vague information about a storm. If everyone wants to make fun of me fine--I hope you have a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

858 posts, read 707,878 times
I'm just curious...during the last hurricane, there was a mad rush for generators with lines out the door at homedepot and other places. Well in the year since then, I see stacks of generators at Home Depot, Costco, lowes, etc. If these are so badly needed by people, why are people waiting till NOW to get them?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I'm just curious...during the last hurricane, there was a mad rush for generators with lines out the door at homedepot and other places. Well in the year since then, I see stacks of generators at Home Depot, Costco, lowes, etc. If these are so badly needed by people, why are people waiting till NOW to get them?
They are the same people who seem to throw away their shovels each year so they have to go and line up and fight for to buy a new one at the first sign of snow.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I'm just curious...during the last hurricane, there was a mad rush for generators with lines out the door at home depot and other places. Well in the year since then, I see stacks of generators at Home Depot, Costco, lowes, etc. If these are so badly needed by people, why are people waiting till NOW to get them?
I think several recent storms that caused widespread power outages are still fresh in there minds. This type of panic buying proceeds pretty much any big storm, but so many people were without power for as long as a week from a big storm during the summer, they don't want a repeat of that.

The same thing happens before big snow storms, people rush out to buy snow blowers and snow plows only to find they are long gone. You need to have the life jackets / life boats on hand in case the boat sinks, not during.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
The time to buy a generator has passed. Lucky if you can even find a power inverter
Generator hell. I wanted a 100 foot extension cord so I can leave my generator in the shed and reach the house and when I went to Home Depot there where NO power cords left, not one. Fortunately I worked out an alternative, I picked up the plug ends to make a power cord and used some of my 12-2 wire on hand to make my own extension cord. I occasionally do electrical work for friends or family, so I have 500 foot spools of electrical wire on hand.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Okay I work 12 hour days 7 days a week. Yes I heard some vague information about a storm. If everyone wants to make fun of me fine--I hope you have a good laugh.
Apologies for making a bit of fun of you, the rest of us have been seeing pictures of 100+ person lines of people standing outside hardware stores for generators and grocery stores stripped to the bone for the past 2 days, you're pretty screwed.

Realistically speaking, call every place you know early tomorrow morning and maybe someone will get a shipment. Particularly smaller/less-obvious retailers, like a lawnmower store or that kind of thing.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM

858 posts, read 707,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
They are the same people who seem to throw away their shovels each year so they have to go and line up and fight for to buy a new one at the first sign of snow.

Haha...that's the truth. The running gag between my wife and I is to go to Home Depot before each snowstorm and ask if they have any disposable shovels. I don't know what people do with shovels each year.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
My guess is people returned them after the storm. I can see a lot of people returning generators after Sandy. The generators are at least several hundred dollars each, some are in the thousands so I can see many people not keeping them.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,345 times
I just ordered one from california. it will be here tomorrow. but i had to pay extra for the over night shipping.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscharlie View Post
I just ordered one from california. it will be here tomorrow. but i had to pay extra for the over night shipping.
Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey