Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I understand what you are saying but think it's ridiculous. Just more bureaucracy for the tax payers to pay for.
its not ridiculous or any additional bureacracy. its just a reality that all money is accounted for in some way and has to come from somewhere. if you can move it around to other buckets/entities then you can free it up for more pertinent needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I think that's 100% fine. But not for people who got them for comfort alone like OP suggested.
Whoa...I was only passing on info I received and if you think it's comfortable living in a freezing house with no heat, no light, no cooking then bless you! People I know with generators are only turning them on when needed because GAS is running out
If a home is not habitable because there is no heat, no running water and no where to cook people than go to hotels/motels..I wonder if FEMA picks up that cost, if they do a $500 generator is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Whoa...I was only passing on info I received and if you think it's comfortable living in a freezing house with no heat, no light, no cooking then bless you! People I know with generators are only turning them on when needed because GAS is running out
If a home is not habitable because there is no heat, no running water and no where to cook people than go to hotels/motels..I wonder if FEMA picks up that cost, if they do a $500 generator is a hell of a lot cheaper.
No, they can go to a SHELTER which is FREE. If they think they are too good for that, they can (at their own damn expense) put in a whole house generator with a 1000 gallon fuel tank to run it off of.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
FEMA would not pick up the hotel cost. Do you really think they would??? That's why there are shelters.

I've managed just fine without a generator since the storm hit. It's not the middle of winter. Extra blankets and a sweater work in this weather. If it was sub zero, I'd go to a shelter.

In fact... maybe 1 out of 15 people I've been talking to have a generator. Miraculously, we've all survived here in our houses

Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
FEMA would not pick up the hotel cost. Do you really think they would??? That's why there are shelters.

I've managed just fine without a generator since the storm hit. It's not the middle of winter. Extra blankets and a sweater work in this weather. If it was sub zero, I'd go to a shelter.

In fact... maybe 1 out of 15 people I've been talking to have a generator. Miraculously, we've all survived here in our houses
Seems like every 3rd house on my street has one. Two households even have a natural gas generator must be nice not having to wait on line for gas. Me I drove an hour out west just to avoid lines lol.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM

244 posts, read 390,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are you telling me that barack obama is gonna pay for my generator!!!!!!?? that guy is awesome!
Yea let me know how that **** works out.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood, it is certainly damn uncomfortable to be without heat, or running water (not really sure why you need a gen set for that btw) but it does not make a home uninhabitable, especially this time of year.

I have no electricity, so I cannot heat my home (the gas furnace won't turn on), we still cook because we are using a camping stove, and have running water. A generator is nice, but not a necessity. We just bundled up. Sixty degrees or even 55 like this morning were not comfortable, but again, my house is habitable.

The people down the street whose house came off its foundation, or the next door neighbors with a tree through the roof have uninhabitable homes. Lack of electricity does NOT make a house uninhabitable.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM

244 posts, read 390,450 times
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters-_-Propane-_-173690&ci_sku=173690&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gc lid=CKrgxsvNsLMCFQU5nAod7BQAjw

heaters like these work in a pinch, You can't heat the whole house, but you can block off the doors in a single room with heavy blankets and huddle around this. just make sure you have extra bottles .

Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think you misunderstood, it is certainly damn uncomfortable to be without heat, or running water (not really sure why you need a gen set for that btw) but it does not make a home uninhabitable, especially this time of year.

I have no electricity, so I cannot heat my home (the gas furnace won't turn on), we still cook because we are using a camping stove, and have running water. A generator is nice, but not a necessity. We just bundled up. Sixty degrees or even 55 like this morning were not comfortable, but again, my house is habitable.

The people down the street whose house came off its foundation, or the next door neighbors with a tree through the roof have uninhabitable homes. Lack of electricity does NOT make a house uninhabitable.
Hey be careful with that water--boil water alerts through most of the affected areas. Safe to flush toilets or shower (avoid your mouth), but not potable!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters-_-Propane-_-173690&ci_sku=173690&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gc lid=CKrgxsvNsLMCFQU5nAod7BQAjw

heaters like these work in a pinch, You can't heat the whole house, but you can block off the doors in a single room with heavy blankets and huddle around this. just make sure you have extra bottles .
Derp Propane heaters give off fumes. Not safe to use in enclosed areas for more than an hour or so at a time. There's a reason they are equipped with an oxygen depletion sensor and illegal in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey