U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 AM

159 posts, read 316,579 times

Advertisements

I have great photos I took myself and have no problem describing my house on the mls.

Just wondering, does it make sense to use a flat fee mls service for $400 then offer a high buyers agent commission like 3-4 percent?

Our should I just find a realtor to do the listing at 5 percent?

Just wondering if I do the flat fee route, do I need to pay more for an attorney to do whatever paperwork that a listing agent would?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 AM

26,590 posts, read 57,174,024 times
What you'll lose by doing it yourself is the ability to drive buyers to the property.

When we sold a home in NJ in 2005 at the height of the market, I didn't even list it. Put some "Open House" signs out on the main roads near by with a few more pointing the way to our place, had 30 couples come through in a single day, and had a solid offer with a 10% deposit check the next evening after a three-way bid war.

The market is very different now. Unless you've got an attractively priced home in a very desirable neighborhood, it's going to take more than putting it on the MLS to sell it. If you do decide to go that route, I'd add "Buyers Agent Protected to 2.5%" to the listing. Otherwise Realtors will steer clear.

A real estate attorney might charge an extra $100 or so to write a contract, but my experience was that the cost was the same as it would have been using an agent.

You also need to be able to remove yourself emotionally from the transaction. If you are at all attached to the home, do yourself a favor and hire an agent. If you see it as an apartment that you lived in and paid a mortgage instead of rent, you might not need an agent.

What are the selling points? If you can't come up with three reasons that many will want to buy your home, then you need an agent. Strong selling points are 1/4 mile or less walk to public transit (commuter bus or train) to NYC, moderately priced 3/2 in neighborhood with great schools, and new (under five years) roof/HVAC/etc.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM

518 posts, read 1,489,175 times
Use a flat fee realtor that puts your property on the MLS. Also, find one that will do the end game negotiations, contract prep for you. For that, they'll charge 0.5%, rather than the typical 2.5 to 3.0%. You'll have to input your own photos and write your own description, but just look to other listings as a guide. One other possible recommendation. Offer the customary fee to the buying broker (2.5% to 3.0%). These are the folks who do most of the work anyway. If you skimp on that end, then you'll lose prospective clients.

In the end, price, location, and condition will sell your home, not how much you pay various brokers. But, you will definitely need to get your property on the MLS so that sites such as Realtor.com, trulia, and zillow pick up your property. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey