Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times

Advertisements

For new residential developments underground is the way to go and required in many municipalities.

For existing residential areas it is just too expensive to retrofit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
My entire development, which is basically my entire town consisting of multiple developments, has underground utilities. I like them, we have not had any issues in several large storms and it makes for nice aesthetics. However, just having them buried is no guarantee of anything.

There are still transformer and utility junction boxes that have to be above ground and these are basically sitting in some peoples yards. You can nicely landscape around them, but they are certainly vulnerable to being damaged or vandalized. Replacing any lines that actually run to the house is monumentally much more expensive because of being buried. My neighborhood will NEVER get FiOS for this reason as any sort of retrofit of upgraded lines is prohibitively expensive versus just stringing new lines on a pole. Even though my utilities are buried in my neighborhood there are still poles, high tension lines and substations that get the power to the neighborhood. Still though, I imagine substations and large lines get attention before individual lines in a community if there is damage.

Overall, I'm not convinced it's the best thing or the worst thing. Outside of storm damage, which you can still be impacted by, there is almost no benefit outside of aesthetics. The biggest drawback is that any replacements are very expensive and running any kind of new lines for new types of service is pretty much not going to happen. I think, as others said, it is probably a reasonable choice in a new community, but retro-fitting older communities is simply not worth the money.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM

283 posts, read 607,237 times
I grew up in a house with underground wires and now my place has overhead wires. I think overhead wires are the better solution for many of the reasons listed in the responses. You have to additionally worry about rain drainage directions, animals (mice, etc.), maintenance headaches, etc. when you have underground lines. We had problems all of the time growing up with every type of telecommunication service (Verizon phone lines, Comcast Cable lines, etc.). When the Verizon line needed to be replaced, a crew of people needed to come out, ruin the lawn, run a new buried line, etc. I agree - it makes for a nice aesthetic until something goes wrong.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,048 times
I was in many countries in Europe and never saw a single overhead power line anywhere.... America and Canada are well behind in terms of infrastructure

Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think all trees near power lines should be removed. I should never see a branch hanging over a wire. That would reduce the problem significantly. I don't even want trees too close to the road. There is no need for trees near power lines or near roadways. Beauty be damned. If I want to hang out in the trees I can make the 100 foot walk away from the road to see them once they are all cut back to a sensible buffer.
So you want the ugly overhead power lines be even more visible?
It's embarrassing having people over here from Europe seeing over ugly overhead power lines hanging everywhere making it look like third-world country. Thank God New York City is underground (At least in Manhattan).

Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
I was in many countries in Europe and never saw a single overhead power line anywhere.... America and Canada are well behind in terms of infrastructure
We never had the advantage of starting from scratch...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 AM

What most people here do not realize is that underground power needs barely and very rarely any repairs, except during major earthquake (Which is very rare in our region). Repairing underground does not cost that much more than repairing overhead power lines (Of which you need to do frequently)

Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Plenty of them in Italy and Greece--I was in both countries earlier this year.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Plenty of them in Italy and Greece--I was in both countries earlier this year.
Maybe in rural areas, but never in suburban or cities. I'm also talking more about western Europe, which is wealthier and more developed. Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the UK, etc. all underground!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Maybe in rural areas, but never in suburban or cities.
Wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey