Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,924 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate out of NJ in the worst way. To stay close to family im looking to remain on the east coast. I have looked into states all up and down the east coast PA VA NC TN DE, and just cant seem to find the information im looking for. I want to be more rural, i would like to have acers of property and not have to pay 10000+ in property taxes to do so. I would love to live near the mountains, i enjoy the outdoors very much, love to fish hike hunt etc. Just looking for a good place to start a family. I would like to be in a beautiful area with the outdoors all around but still be able to not have to go far to find good resturants, shopping, etc. I was looking into eastern PA as that would be close to my wifes family in north NJ, but i am not sure how much cheaper PA is from NJ. My family has just relocated to TN, ive looked into it and visited the state many times and it is beautiful but i have heard alot of negative about the people and how you are treated if your not from there. Southern VA is a possibility, i didnt see to much in western NC. Anyone with any information or experience living in these areas or that could point me in a good direction for what im looking for would be a great help.
Thanks

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
A lot of it would be based on what you do for a living and the availability of jobs in various areas.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
My wife and I moved from NJ to WNC last August. It is wonderful here, about 30 minutes south of Asheville. We are adjusting nicely, and like being near nature, but close to some smaller cities (Asheville, Hendersonville, Greenville SC, and Spartanburg SC). The people have been very nice...most of them transplants from NY, NJ, and FL.

Prices here for gas/groceries/things are almost identical to NJ. Housing prices, though, are much lower. Our prop taxes on a custom home, 1800+sf on a beautiful treed half acre, are about $2500/yr, and are considered high for Henderson County because of the community we chose (pretty elite). Still so much more affordable than up north.

We, however, made this move in retirement, so...no job needed. If you will need employment, it might not be so attractive, as UE is as bad here as it is in NJ.

But if you have family in TN, it could be close to them. Unfortunately, DW and I knew NOBODY here, and left fam and friends up north. But we are meeting new people, and making some new friends, so we're happy.

Asheville is really fun to hang out in, as is Greenville. Shopping and all amenities are very closeby ... Most anything you could want within a 15 minute drive.

Depending on your need for work, I highly recommend you consider WNC if you want a change.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leave.n.nj View Post
I am looking to relocate out of NJ in the worst way. To stay close to family im looking to remain on the east coast. I have looked into states all up and down the east coast PA VA NC TN DE, and just cant seem to find the information im looking for. I want to be more rural, i would like to have acers of property and not have to pay 10000+ in property taxes to do so. I would love to live near the mountains, i enjoy the outdoors very much, love to fish hike hunt etc. Just looking for a good place to start a family. I would like to be in a beautiful area with the outdoors all around but still be able to not have to go far to find good resturants, shopping, etc. I was looking into eastern PA as that would be close to my wifes family in north NJ, but i am not sure how much cheaper PA is from NJ. My family has just relocated to TN, ive looked into it and visited the state many times and it is beautiful but i have heard alot of negative about the people and how you are treated if your not from there. Southern VA is a possibility, i didnt see to much in western NC. Anyone with any information or experience living in these areas or that could point me in a good direction for what im looking for would be a great help.
Thanks

Joe
Except for the mountain part, much of south Jersey fits the above description.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times
I would look into western Virginia but not too far south....no further west or south than Roanoke. Go on some of those area's forums and ask questions, or search the questions already asked. I have a feeling that NC/TN might be too far from your wife's family.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Again depending on what you do for a living, upstate NY would work as well--I mean way upstste, north of Albany. The cost of living once you get past Saratoga is pretty reasonable.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leave.n.nj View Post
II want to be more rural, i would like to have acers of property and not have to pay 10000+ in property taxes to do so. I would love to live near the mountains, i enjoy the outdoors very much, love to fish hike hunt etc. Just looking for a good place to start a family. I would like to be in a beautiful area with the outdoors all around but still be able to not have to go far to find good resturants, shopping, etc.

Joe
Have you done any property searches right here in northern Warren County, NJ??

Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
Central/southern Delaware would meet most of what you want, while still being a reasonable ride to NJ. I'm in northern DE, have been for two years, and I love it here.

Anything below the canal here though, and finding a decent job becomes a real issue. Property taxes here per year run about the same as the quarterly tax bill in NJ. Prices are lower, and no sales tax really does help the budget. People are nice, and I've never been given a hard time about not being a native delawarian.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
All I can say is get out of NJ asap! Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,924 times
I currently live in south jersey and I'm just ready to leave the state all together. I'm am currently full time with the national guard so close to a guard unit would be ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey