Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

I would definitely say we didn't prepare enough. I was very lucky. Basically zero damage, insignificant loss of power and no issues getting gas (or anything else for that matter) a day later.

I will almost certainly get a generator. Just not sure which option I will go with. I'm not sure at this point I can spring for the permanent type.

We definitely did not have enough food if we would have needed it for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
1. I'd have more fuel on hand, I had 12 gallons including what was in the generator, but after 1 1/2 days of running the generator I had to go out and get more gas. Fortunately in south jersey were I live getting more fuel wasn't a problem.

2. I'd run the dishwasher before the storm, it was a bonehead move losing power and having a dishwasher full of dishes.

3. I'd have more entertainment lined up when the cable goes out, If I have to watch, "The Lorax" one more time I'm going to shoot myself. (needed something on the TV to keep the baby occupied)

4. A bigger generator be helpful, 120v, 3500 watts isn't enough to run the hot water heater, need something that puts out 220v, 6000 watts would have been more ideal.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Something to consider--if your water is out (or unsafe to drink) it's also unsafe to wash dishes in. You can use bleach in it to make it safe to use as a final rinse as an option--the unscented type.

It's generally advised to have a supply of paper and plastic utensils/plates/cups/etc. to minimize the amount of actual dish washing you might have to do. You always have to plan for NO water.

A Coleman type camp stove is inexpensive and a great way to heat water for hot beverages and cereals, instant soups, and washing. They are very small and can tuck away in a corner of a closet or attic. Don't use them inside, but they are OK to use in a garage or breezeway long enough to heat a kettle of water with an exterior door open for ventilation. You can also use them to cook, but then you've got dirty pots and pans, so it kind of depends on your water situation.

You don't need to buy expensive bottled water. A better option is to fill Zip-Lock bags with water and stuff them into every nook and cranny in your fridge and freezer. The fuller those appliances are, the more efficiently they run. You can remove the bags and thaw as needed for drinking water. A stuffed full freezer with the door kept closed or only opened for a few seconds at a time will generally stay frozen for five or more days.

Please don't use candles. They are an extreme fire hazard. Invest in one flashlight for each member of your household, and at least one extra set of batteries for each flashlight. Also it's a good idea to buy a battery operated lantern with a spare battery.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
4. A bigger generator be helpful, 120v, 3500 watts isn't enough to run the hot water heater, need something that puts out 220v, 6000 watts would have been more ideal.
This is what we have. It can run a 220 stove, but I wouldn't bother, I'd just use the gas grill. My water heater and dryer are gas. I would only use it for a couple lights and the refrigerator a couple times a day. My wine cellar needs to be cooled if it were summer, in the cooler months it won't hurt the wine to sit at 70 or so for a couple of weeks. The wine is insured but some of it is irreplaceable. I also have a window AC unit and a small space heater--I'm in Florida so chances of needing the heater are slim.

Most importantly it will run the shop vac to suck up water if need be so I don't get mold.

If I'm really careful with it, it will be about a gallon of gas a day. (If it's super hot and I need to run the compressor for the wine cellar, it would be two.) I wouldn't bother to power the TV, we'd read books or play board games. I have a battery operated weather radio and a smaller regular radio to hear the news and weather alerts.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,604 times
In my opinion it's best to have the flexibility to be mobile in a drop of a dime, you never know what to expect so a portable generator is best. A 3000-4000 watt generator is more than enough to run a furnace refrigerator lights and several small equipement at the same time. In tough times you want want to be minimalistic and efficient while larger generators give you the most convienence it also eats up more fuel which is not ideal. Learn some basics electrical wiring some people with generators didn't have enough know how to run the furnace and are running multiple space heaters which in turn uses more fuel. Also exercise your right to the 2nd amendment cause we just got a small taste of an isolated disaster, imagine what would happen if it were the whole US or even worse the whole world.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
and gasoline last only about 90days be for it starts to go bad,dont know about disel??
Not if you put stabilizer in it. Quality gasoline with stabilizer can last up to a year.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
A 3000-4000 watt generator is more than enough to run a furnace, refrigerator lights and several small equipment at the same time.
I can run the refrigerator and lights, but my water furnace would require a 15 KW generator. Not everyone has Natural Gas, oil or Propane heating system.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I'm wondering what people would do differently if another storm (hurricane, snow, etc.) came our way?

We are getting a generator installed that hooks up to the gas line and powers the whole house. It comes on automatically. Will run $$$$$ but I can't do this again.
I was thinking this weekend, for the amount of money one would spend on such a setup, why not do solar or windmill instead? i guess they could get damaged in a storm, but you could use them year round...

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I watch hurricane warnings all the time because a state close to my heart, Louisiana has them all the time.
So I do heed warnings as they are pretty accurate with hurricane warnings. Told my husband and son this was going to be a doozie, son didn't think he would need a generator but finally heeded my nagging and picked one up.

I live in Morris county so even though there is a lot of devasation here, it is nothing compared to the shore.

Last Sunday made sure all the laundry was done, dishwasher run, filled my car w/gas. Husband had the generator ready to go with plenty of gas, was even able to give my neighbor heat, dvd's for the little one and his fridge.

Not sure if I would invest the $$$$ for one that powers the entire house but I do not have any little ones at home and I think that is a huge difference in how many creature comforts you want/need. Now if I ever relocate to the gulf coast that may be when I invest that $$$.

A long time ago I lived in Seaside and Ortley beach, I've seen Nor'easters where the ocean is meeting the bay, had I still lived down there I would have evacuated, I do realize many have no where to evacuate too.

As far as epic weather the north east is more than likely safer than other areas of the country but it has been said we were long over due for a doozie of a hurricane. I think many thought it would either blow out to sea, but in reality it was trapped and had to make thet left hook, or loose steam.

So no I don't think in my situation I would have done anything different in this instance.
i basically did what you did...and topped off the tanks on monday morning. i also went out in the afternoon and got 10 bags of ice and packed 2 coolers...then started transferring food from the fridge into the coolers.

one thing i might do is buy a battery backup - my water heater has an electric thermostat...which i never really thought about until this week. that was the biggest annoyance we experienced.

for some reason, the warnings about this hurricane seemed clear to me. plus, we had a bunch of stuff we accumulated from past storm prep.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Not if you put stabilizer in it. Quality gasoline with stabilizer can last up to a year.
This.

Twice a year I put all the gas from the jugs into the cars and refill the jugs. It's on my list of things to do this week--I time it with daylight savings time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey