U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 68,155 times

Advertisements

i am looking at scotch plains to buy our first house. i see that the prices of the houses closer to the watchung reservation are much lower even for bigger newer houses as compared to the rest of SP. close to somewhere like 1175 Mary Beth Ct, Scotch Plains, NJ?
can i get some advice about this city are there certain areas in SP that i should avoid?
i have an 18 month old baby and i prefer to be in a nice, quite, safe neighborhood.
also need to be closer to a good day care i prefer not to drive all the way across town to drop him off every morning

any info is much appreciated.
thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,912,796 times
The address you gave is not anywhere near the Watchung Reservation...?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM

18 posts, read 68,155 times
yeah it isnt close to watchung reservation,
that is my point, the houses in the vicinity of 1175 mary beth ct seem to be older, smaller and more pricier than the ones closer to watchung reservation.
and i am trying to find out why the discrepancy??

Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM

10,083 posts, read 17,763,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan007 View Post
yeah it isnt close to watchung reservation,
that is my point, the houses in the vicinity of 1175 mary beth ct seem to be older, smaller and more pricier than the ones closer to watchung reservation.
and i am trying to find out why the discrepancy??
It's hard to say without knowing both places, but of course it's all about location. Maybe the less expensive ones are near a major road, or in an area which floods, or under a busy flight path, or any number of other issues.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM

63 posts, read 136,763 times
I lived in Scotch Plains all my life. Scotch Plains is divided between the train tracks that run near south ave. That splits the North Side from the South Side. The South Side, where Mary Beth Court is, is considered the wealthier side of town. Mostly, because the houses sit on bigger lots. Taxes on that side of town are very expensive. The North Side in my opinion, living on both the south side and north side, is more convenient to shopping, library, train station and the High School. There are a few nicer parts of the north side, just because of property size, and that is the "Homestead Area" which is off of Westfield Ave. between the High School and Brunner Elementary School. I don't think you can go wrong with Scotch Plains!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,060 times
I live in Mountainside. Part of the reservation is in my back yard.... Just up the block begins Scotch Plains. I am a local realtor out of Westfield. I think because this area of Scotch Plains is so close to the boarder of Mountainside, that this area may feel a sort of divide from its town and reflect in pricing. Although, the school bus picks the children up - no need to drive to school. Scotch Plains is so large. People tend to buy into the community as a whole. In my opinion, this is a beautiful area by the Reservation. It is more convenient to commuters versus the far end of Scotch Plains. 20 years ago when kids were on their bikes everywhere, it might have mattered because they need to cross the highway to join their friends. Today, we drive our kids everywhere.
Route 22 can be loud if you are only a block in from the road, otherwise it is very peaceful. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 AM

2,099 posts, read 3,298,758 times
Warren Twp is also close to the reservation -- I go on bike rides from Warren to the Scotch Plains border during the summer. I would love to live on Skyline drive in the reservation. Anyone know if that's Scotch Plains?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 AM

116 posts, read 226,442 times
Scotch Plains is nice...but I would never buy there. You do realize it borders Plainfield, right? That community will eventually pour over the border and erode the quality of schools and homes.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM

2,099 posts, read 3,298,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
Scotch Plains is nice...but I would never buy there. You do realize it borders Plainfield, right? That community will eventually pour over the border and erode the quality of schools and homes.
Are you serious with this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey