Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 AM

11 posts, read 32,910 times

Advertisements

I have been doing my due diligence for the process to move to New Jersey. My wife and I narrowed our choices to Chatham and Summit. I liked Chatham better and She likes Summit for it's more diversity. We want a great school system first and foremost.
However, the problem with diversity also come problems with other things.
Summit's demographics
Asian 7%
Hispanic 15%
% Black 7%
% White 72%
My qusetion to any and all those that live there or know people who live there...
Is there a gang problem in the Summit High School? Is there any gang activity in Summit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 AM

392 posts, read 842,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl2219 View Post
I have been doing my due diligence for the process to move to New Jersey. My wife and I narrowed our choices to Chatham and Summit. I liked Chatham better and She likes Summit for it's more diversity. We want a great school system first and foremost.
Summit's demographics
Asian 7%
Hispanic 15%
% Black 7%
% White 72%
My qusetion to any and all those that live there or know people who live there...
Is there a gang problem in the Summit High School? Is there any gang activity in Summit?
Summit is "gangbanger" central. I wouldn't move there.

All joking aside, Summit is one of the best towns in NJ as far as the quality of education goes.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,618 times
Just curious why does "diversity" cause gang problems? Thanks for you response ahead of time.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Regarding diversity, white kids join gangs too. Kids usually join gangs because of lack of family structure. They need a sense of social acceptance and protection, and the gangs give them leaders, structure, family, protection, and a role. Unfortunately, it also usually gives them a one-way ticket to jail or the grave. I wish I could convince the kids of that before they do it. Usually, it's too late.

There are gangs everywhere. Gangs are no longer isolated in inner city blocks. Check the school statistics for West-Windsor/Plainsboro, and Princeton. There are gang members in both towns. I do not know of any towns in Mercer County, NJ, which do not have gang members. Having gang members and having a gang problem are two very, very different things. Trenton has a gang problem, Hopewell may have one or two isolated gang members.

I respect your wish to find the best schools for your kids. There are plenty of great schools in NJ, but all schools have some problems. Find me a school system that does not have a drug problem! I think that if you are a good, concerned parent (and you sound like you are), you'll raise your kids to make the right decisions, they'll stay out of trouble, and they (and you) will be fine.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Quote:
Are you an absentee-parent incapable of controlling your own child? If so, then you have to worry about him joining a gang no matter where you live, because these days teens are mobile and can easily get from one town to another to engage in their illicit activities.

If not, you will have no problems with "gangs" in Summit. The very idea is laughable.

The type of "diversity" that fosters gang-related activity is economic diversity, and more accurately a heavy tilt toward lower economic status. You're not going to find a bunch of rich kids forming gangs and roaming all over town wreaking havoc, no matter their skin color.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Summit's demographics
Asian 7%
Hispanic 15%
% Black 7%
% White 72%
The household median income of Summit is $117,000.

The household median income of Chatham borough is only $100,000 ($106k for the township), both significantly less than Summit.

Now, you tell me whether you think gangs would be roaming the streets of Summit.

PS. Now, go and do more "due diligence"

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-20-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Most people don't consider either of those towns to be super diverse. If you were from Iowa maybe.
Any problems with kids in Summit probably have nothing to do with gangs in any case.
Just another thread started to get a rise?
There are so many just like this one - it's too obvious.
No gangs in Iowa?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Summit's demographics
Asian 7%
Hispanic 15%
% Black 7%
% White 72%
This post made me laugh. I thought it was a joke when I read the subject.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Most people don't consider either of those towns to be super diverse. If you were from Iowa maybe.
Any problems with kids in Summit probably have nothing to do with gangs in any case.
Just another thread started to get a rise?
There are so many just like this one - it's too obvious.
No gangs in Iowa?
Guy's from Florida looks like. Must have been driven away by all those gangs over there.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Yes, he's been having a very good time this past week.
They really should limit the number of signon id's one person can have.
They say it is limit one per computer but the city-data system is flawed.

Florida in his dreams.
Maybe there is a pic of Florida in his bathroom!

What a title for a thread.
Gangs!!!!!!!
Gangs in Pleasantville!!!!!
GANGS!!!! GANGS!!! MORE GANGS!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey