Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
It is not a cute accent or term of endearment, as you can see from the responses. Seems like you are the one who needs to get over yourself when others trying to tell you something.
See above post ^^^^^. So it's not cute. Do Brooklynites know that???

Ya know, my husband used to make me cry in work because he teased me so much. It wasn't until one of my bosses told me that hubby (who was not my hubby) liked me and that is why he teased me. If he didn't like me, he wouldn't tease me. Like I said, you bunch are a very unlikeable group.

Again, sorry I asked.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm not sure where that term ever began, but I have never, seriously never, heard Jersey pronounced Joisey. We need to put that one to bed.
Joe Piscopo, SNL. For those that remember, it spun into "what exit?".

Come on. Don't any of you remember that?

http://www.joepiscopo.com/whatexit.pdf

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
Don't get mad.

It might be cute in person, but not so much on the internet. That's all.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Don't get mad.

Don't get mad???? LMAO. Okay, ty for the laff. Sorry, but my friends from Jersey are on the internet and have never had a problem. They see it as it is intended. For a laugh. In good spirits.

I am outta here but I'll check back to see if any more knives are hurled. If not, let's just let this go. I get your picture although I'm sure glad all Jersyites aren't like yuz guys.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
tamiznluv, I know you from other CD forums so I know you'e not a jerk, but saying "Joisey" to someone from New Jersey is probably the most annoying thing you can possibly do. I'm not so sure it's not a problem for your friends, though you might think so, or maybe they know you well enough that you can get away with it.

We hate it. We absolutely cannot stand when people pronounce (or spell, lol) our state that way. NO ONE from NJ says "Joisey", and even in Brooklyn, I doubt there's anyone younger than 60 who still talks that way.

I'm a lifelong Jersey resident, at least fifth generation in this state on both sides, 54 years old, and I've never heard a single person from this state say "Joisey", yet for some reason people who have never been here think it's hilarious to say that. It got old a long, long time ago.

But to answer your question, it knocked out power again, including mine, and there's slushy wet snow everywhere.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Don't get mad.

In person you could lose a few teeth sayin' that. LOL

Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You all are just unbelievable. I have never come across so much animosity for just being polite and wondering how's it going? A simple, polite question wondering if anyone was having more issues because of the Nor'easter. Do you still have power? Does anyine you know having more difficulties because of this storm? Simple answers to a simple and concerned question.

BTW, I DO call Texas and ask my daughter and a friend how they are doing after they have their hurricanes. They have no problems, why do you bunch do?

Must be the flakes are falling in here too.

And do you use a 'cute' overdone Texas drawl when you inquire about the potentially tragic aftermath of their storms?

My family is fine, thanks. But we have many friends who are suffering and still without power and we are trying to help as best we can. A wonderful family in my neighborhood lost their mother and father in the hurricane in a horrble accident, leaving 4 kids without their parents. Maybe I'm overly sensitive right now and I apologize, but maybe you could be more sensitive too.

I encourage you to make a donation to the Red Cross or other charity if you are concerned.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM

334 posts, read 731,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I would like it. Means some one from somewhere else was thinking abut "us". Man, you've got a really p*ss poor attitude, dude. I see not all of them live in Mass.

It's my own thing, Sunlight. From hearing people from Joisey and Brooklyn say it. I use it as a term of "endearment". Grow some skin for crying out loud!

Sorry I even tried to be friendly with you people. Go pound all your sand that washed up. Jerks.
Not a term of endearment...it is actually a very annoying stereotype.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
I hope you guys are ok.... I heard some areas got 13" of snow!!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
And do you use a 'cute' overdone Texas drawl when you inquire about the potentially tragic aftermath of their storms?

My family is fine, thanks. But we have many friends who are suffering and still without power and we are trying to help as best we can. A wonderful family in my neighborhood lost their mother and father in the hurricane in a horrble accident, leaving 4 kids without their parents. Maybe I'm overly sensitive right now and I apologize, but maybe you could be more sensitive too.

I encourage you to make a donation to the Red Cross or other charity if you are concerned.
Why, yes, yes I do! Y'all being too sensitive. Here is a reply I got from a friend when I emailed her and told her about this crap going on in here. I emailed her because she is from JERSEY....

"Hmm. That Joisey thing has got me wondering. People say it that way all the time but I'm trying to think if it is native people joking on ourselves or not. Either way, I don't think it is offensive. Definitely not as offensive as that person made it out to be. Good thing you didn't joke about big hair and what exit do you live off. Maybe their strings are just wound too tight from the weather."

I then replied I HAD j9oked about Theresa Caputo's BIG HAIR in the LI Medium forum! LOL Not a soul got bent out of shape. BTW, I donated Tuesday night to the RedCross and again Thurday or Friday. *insert me sticking a tongue out and going na na na na.* <<<<<<that's in place of what I REALLY want to say to you bunch but am holding myself back so I don't get into trouble with our wonderful mods.

SO, mightyQueen, I was right about punching people in the mouth in person? Interesting. Such classy people.

Now I'm no longer upset, just loling at yuz.

ta-ta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey