Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Customers are literally willing to trample each other to death on Black Friday. I find it hard to blame the stores. They are just a reflection of their customers.
Exactly. In 2008, I believe, a store employee on Long Island was trampled to death when they opened the doors and the customers just plowed in and stepped on him in their haste to get whatever the hell it was that was worth killing a man for.

The stores open and do these "doorbuster" things because the people want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Same for retail. Black friday has been going on for quite a while at this point.
Yes but now retail want's to extend it to THURSDAY night

Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes but now retail want's to extend it to THURSDAY night
Yes. The retail industry is loyal to their customers. Customers have shown year after year that they want the sales earlier and earlier.

Retail employees are also loyal to their customers. So I find it ironic that retail employees don't understand the relationship between stores and their customers. If a retail employee does not understand that a store opening earlier is displaying the same loyalty to their customers that a retail employee that passionately works in the retail industry longs to display, maybe they don't understand the industry in which they work?

Retail business owners and retail employees share the same passion and goals. To help consumers get the best experience in shopping. That's why they enter the industry.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,096 times
Would everyone be happier if "black" Thursday night was moved to Wednesday? Keep the stores closed on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Would everyone be happier if "black" Thursday night was moved to Wednesday? Keep the stores closed on Thanksgiving.
Personally, I'd prefer Sunday be "black Sunday" and let them start as early as Friday if they want but keep the bulk of the doorbusters on Sunday.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes. The retail industry is loyal to their customers. Customers have shown year after year that they want the sales earlier and earlier.

Retail employees are also loyal to their customers. So I find it ironic that retail employees don't understand the relationship between stores and their customers. If a retail employee does not understand that a store opening earlier is displaying the same loyalty to their customers that a retail employee that passionately works in the retail industry longs to display, maybe they don't understand the industry in which they work?

Retail business owners and retail employees share the same passion and goals. To help consumers get the best experience in shopping. That's why they enter the industry.
Those are some nice sentiments. But Black Friday has nothing to do with loyalty. The rush to open earlier and earlier is an attempt to win customers away from the competition before they spend their holiday budget. And the customers are responding by saying that they aren't loyal and will go to the earliest/best deals. That's fine, I guess, but it takes loyalty off the table.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,305 times
I think Black Friday is vulgar, and retailers continue to ruin the holidays just because they can. Stores are under no obligation to be closed at any time, but it's the decent thing to do on a holiday, which means a lot to many people. Anyway, that's my own personal opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
I think Black Friday is vulgar, and retailers continue to ruin the holidays just because they can. Stores are under no obligation to be closed at any time, but it's the decent thing to do on a holiday, which means a lot to many people. Anyway, that's my own personal opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Just curious if you also put some of the blame on the people that do the actual shopping and are the reason the stores are open in the first place.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,460 times
My time and sanity is worth more than any amount of money that I could save. How did this holiday start?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
My time and sanity is worth more than any amount of money that I could save. How did this holiday start?
Blame Balthazar, Melchior, and Gaspar. They brought baby gifts (totally impractical, too) and it's all been snowballing from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey