Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,897,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I just wonder if these bozos realize what it would take to form their own country? Do they think it will fund itself? Will they put their $$$ where their mouths are? After all, taxes are the scourge of society for these nimrods.

Idiots.
The only state that could possibly pull it off is Texas (as they briefly did so many years ago)--they have a diverse enough array of natural resources and a broad, healthy enough economy to match its population. But even then, I doubt it would be in Texans' best interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The only state that could possibly pull it off is Texas (as they briefly did so many years ago)--they have a diverse enough array of natural resources and a broad, healthy enough economy to match its population. But even then, I doubt it would be in Texans' best interests.
I agree, but I wonder how these people think this would happen without a large infusion of cash - which means taxes being raised.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
the loss of tax revenue would probably hurt the federal government more than it would hurt the individual state. the lost revenue into social security, medicare, military and other programs would be felt badly. the individual states would probably see little of it and could increase their local taxes to compensate for what they might feel. they wouldnt need much of a military and that makes up around 20% of our federal budget.

of course, it will vary greatly depending on the state. but the military savings alone would be huge.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the loss of tax revenue would probably hurt the federal government more than it would hurt the individual state. the lost revenue into social security, medicare, military and other programs would be felt badly. the individual states would probably see little of it and could increase their local taxes to compensate for what they might feel. they wouldnt need much of a military and that makes up around 20% of our federal budget.

of course, it will vary greatly depending on the state. but the military savings alone would be huge.
Enough to make up for the increased cost of imports? NJ isn't exactly swimming in oil, and I don't think the "Garden State" produces a sufficient quantity/variety of crops to feed its populace.

Also, your proposed voting test would destroy the Democratic party.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Enough to make up for the increased cost of imports? NJ isn't exactly swimming in oil, and I don't think the "Garden State" produces a sufficient quantity/variety of crops to feed its populace.

Also, your proposed voting test would destroy the Democratic party.
you are making assumptions about tariffs that we cant really do right now.

yeah, thats what i would be hoping for.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
If NJ repubs don't like NJ politics they can always move to a red state like we did. This way they can brag to everybody how their kid is in the fourth grade and already knows how to read.
You know the old saying "you get what you pay for" You don't like NJ politics or the education system move down here for cheap taxes and an equally inexpensive education.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,968,291 times
And what would a sovereign New Jersey look like? We have the largest per capita proportion of freeloaders in the country. There are not enough productive citizens upon which the vampires could feed to sustain themselves.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And what would a sovereign New Jersey look like? We have the largest per capita proportion of freeloaders in the country. There are not enough productive citizens upon which the vampires could feed to sustain themselves.
nj couldnt secede, we are stuck with so many parasites living in our disgusting parasitic cities.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
South Jersey would have a better chance of seceding from the state than NJ seceding from the union.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
you are making assumptions about tariffs that we cant really do right now.
We can probably assume that the nation's relatively vast oil reserves, which play a large part in reducing domestic fuel prices, would be sold to a seceded state (if at all) at very high premiums. I wouldn't be surprised if, as punishment, the U.S. would force an all-out embargo.

Quote:
yeah, thats what i would be hoping for.
Fair enough, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: