Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:42 AM

127 posts, read 261,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Beats Metro in DC where they clap you in irons for eating a french fry.
Or Singapore, where they'll probably waterboard you for chewing gum on a train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 06:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Or Singapore, where they'll probably waterboard you for chewing gum on a train
Not waterboard, cane.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,148 times
I think the slamming of the OP is really just another jersey style beat down by people with too much pride. Really people, just because someone is criticizing something about NJ doesn't mean you have to get your panties into a bind. Let's face it, NJ is far from perfect on just about every level conceivable.

Having said all that, the expectation to have complete quietness with a designated NJ Transit "Quiet Car" is darn near unlikely. I do agree that a progressive move would be to turn announcements off as regular riders should know the terrain. You'll always risk missing a stop if you fall asleep, but that happens all the time.

IMHO, the only TRUE way to have a designated "Quiet Car" is to charge extra for it within ticket price. Conductors then monitor who goes into the quiet car and it will likely end up being white collar businessmen to boot.

At the end of the day you are always going to have loud, obnoxious, people who sit in the quiet car. This is Jersey after all.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Right now I'd just like a ROLLING NJ Transit car.

Took the train yesterday for the first time in a month. Little Silver to Newark, Newark to JC via PATH.

2 hours and 15 minutes each way for a trip that's normally an hour and a half door to door. Back to driving today.

NJ Transit must still be having signal issues from the storm, they mosey along at about 25 mph until after Woodbridge. And then PATH isn't running that well, of course.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I think the slamming of the OP is really just another jersey style beat down by people with too much pride. Really people, just because someone is criticizing something about NJ doesn't mean you have to get your panties into a bind. Let's face it, NJ is far from perfect on just about every level conceivable.

Having said all that, the expectation to have complete quietness with a designated NJ Transit "Quiet Car" is darn near unlikely. I do agree that a progressive move would be to turn announcements off as regular riders should know the terrain. You'll always risk missing a stop if you fall asleep, but that happens all the time.

IMHO, the only TRUE way to have a designated "Quiet Car" is to charge extra for it within ticket price. Conductors then monitor who goes into the quiet car and it will likely end up being white collar businessmen to boot.

At the end of the day you are always going to have loud, obnoxious, people who sit in the quiet car. This is Jersey after all.
You are doing the exact same thing that you are criticizing us for....You are basically saying to stop bashing the the op....but you took it as the opportunity to bash New Jersey people (I'm not from here, just live here for husband's work). I'd quote Forest Gump but don't have the energy for cliches right now.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM

127 posts, read 261,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

Thank you, Freshflakes. You're a fine American.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
You are doing the exact same thing that you are criticizing us for....You are basically saying to stop bashing the the op....but you took it as the opportunity to bash New Jersey people (I'm not from here, just live here for husband's work). I'd quote Forest Gump but don't have the energy for cliches right now.
You are better off. Forrest Gump kind of sucked.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NJ Transit must still be having signal issues from the storm, they mosey along at about 25 mph until after Woodbridge. And then PATH isn't running that well, of course.
The M&E seems to be doing OK on speed, except that they like to cancel my train about half the time. I guess it's still the equipment shortage issues. No quiet cars either.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
NEC is running at just about normal. It's nice to have express trains back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey