Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I just came back from car inspection and passed -- I was worried because I occasionally have this "AIR BAG FAILURE" dummy light that comes up. I somehow got lucky and it never popped up during inspection.

I asked how my '03 Saab did during emissions test as I was curious. The inspector guy said, "Good car! You wouldn't get this sticker if you didn't pass" and then pats the headlamp.
They won't fail you for the air bag "pregnant woman" flashing light (that's what it looks like!) because mine flashes all the time and I passed inspection without a problem. The only thing that causes a problem is if the check engine light is on I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
They won't fail you for the air bag "pregnant woman" flashing light (that's what it looks like!) because mine flashes all the time and I passed inspection without a problem. The only thing that causes a problem is if the check engine light is on I believe.
Hah -- yeah that is exactly what it looks like!

speaking of saab humor:

Saab Turbo No Bra Warning Sticker Decal | eBay

Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 895 times
I am looking at a car, where the owner says that Massachusetts will not give him an inspection sticker because a previous owner flashed the ECU with an aftermarket tune, which changed the checksum returned by the ECU (even though it passes emissions). He has since flashed the ECU to stock but the checksum still doesn't match what MA is looking for, but they will not tell him what that field is and Porsche is of no help.

Will NJ ECU check have the same issue?

Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,865,524 times
You should call the motor vehicle department, they'll be more helpful than internet strangers.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:53 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
If you plug in a scanner to the OBD ort under the dash and all is ready and no lights are on then it should pass. Also NJ looks with a video camera for the catalytic convertor as they roll your car in.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM

235 posts, read 263,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The OP needs to take the car through a few "driving cycles".
In other words, the car's onboard diagnostic system has to be able to detect that, on multiple occasions the engine was started, the car was driven for...let's say...about 10 miles, and then the engine was shut off.

So, if you just start the engine and drive for a few miles before returning to the inspection station, that will not be sufficient. Do a few of the above-mentioned driving cycles, and the computer will acquire enough data for the system to be ready for the inspection.
This. I believe you need to go through 5 drive cycles for everything to be "ready". The reason for this is so people don't plug in their own OBD2 tester and clear the trouble codes, then go to the inspection station before the trouble returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I think your friend was feeding you some BS. You can still operate your vehicle after failing. You have X amount of days to make repairs and be re inspected.
You may operate the vehicle for 30 days after you fail. Just be sure you have documentation or the "Rejected" sticker above your old inspection sticker in case you are stopped.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM

BTW in NJ you can only go to the State run MVC inspection stations once, then if you fail they want you to go to a private facility which usually means paying a reinspection fee, whatever it is.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:15 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
btw in nj you can only go to the state run mvc inspection stations once, then if you fail they want you to go to a private facility which usually means paying a reinspection fee, whatever it is.
b.s.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM

235 posts, read 263,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
BTW in NJ you can only go to the State run MVC inspection stations once, then if you fail they want you to go to a private facility which usually means paying a reinspection fee, whatever it is.
Is this recent? Never heard of this. What is your source for this information? I think it's bogus. Private garages in NJ are not required to perform state inspections. Therefore, somebody must. That somebody is the State of NJ.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ to MA View Post
Is this recent? Never heard of this. What is your source for this information? I think it's bogus. Private garages in NJ are not required to perform state inspections. Therefore, somebody must. That somebody is the State of NJ.
Its a recent change, I dont know how heavily enforced as I havent had to try it. My car passed but IF you don't pass on the first time they are stating you take it to a private inspection station for the retest which,,, usually costs a bit, don't know exact fees but thinking about $70 my guess???

So pays to ensure you will pass the first time to save that cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: