Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NJ one of the worst run states?
Yes 22 50.00%
No 22 50.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,617,739 times

Advertisements

since we discussing state problems, state or city/municipality pay vs private pay would be a better comparison, federal jobs always pay more and have better benefits than local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,499,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
i really just did a google search and posted the first article that showed up. i only looked at the chart, which isnt really what i was looking for but i was in a rush to go to bed. i figured that article may end up not being great for me since i noticed it was motherjones which is leftist. so any "selectivity" was really not for my benefit.

ill do a little more looking later. oh and you are clearly being much more selective with me as i am well aware that most studies show a significantly better compensation for public vs private workers. the biggest difference is benefits but for the most part wages are higher also.

i found this, i know its taking a position but i wanted to get something with numbers. i like numbers a lot better than some general explanation of public employees being better educated/more qualified. thats just trickery.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/mzucke...ed-elite-class

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 11-30-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i really just did a google search and posted the first article that showed up. i only looked at the chart, which isnt really what i was looking for but i was in a rush to go to bed. i figured that article may end up not being great for me since i noticed it was motherjones which is leftist. so any "selectivity" was really not for my benefit.

ill do a little more looking later. oh and you are clearly being much more selective with me as i am well aware that most studies show a significantly better compensation for public vs private workers. the biggest difference is benefits but for the most part wages are higher also.

i found this, i know its taking a position but i wanted to get something with numbers. i like numbers a lot better than some general explanation of public employees being better educated/more qualified. thats just trickery.

Public Sector Workers Are the New Privileged Elite Class - US News and World Report
^sounds like some bitter ass bs, i cant take anyone who says govt workers are the new elite class seriously (unless they only mean politicians)
i dont believe his numbers at all
the most u can make at a fed job is 199k, u gotta be someone like a general for that tho
corporate people make millions, there is no comparison
for some reason u keep sayin govt workers are low skilled and their degrees are weak, ok so then are u tryin to say eryone in the private sector got chemical engineering or a law degree from harvard or someth? u make it sound like private sector doesnt have low skill low pay jobs at all like nobody is a walmart greeter or a fast food worker or a retail associate or jus a secretary or lower level business admin/management worker, isnt that like a majority of jobs?
the only reason SOME comparable jobs mite pay more in govt is cuz the economy is bad now, and employers are being extra cheap and greedy cuz they got a lot to pick from so some pay just horrible, and some people accept it
i dont get y u mad at regular govt workers along with the poor people when its the corporate elite that caused this mess
as for nj problems, the local leaders are the ones to blame

Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,340,871 times
Quote:
that means nothing. the average government worker has a higher salary and much higher benefits cost than the average equivalent private sector worker. i understand that brady wants to use the typical government union/employee response to this notion, but thats just protecting a system that abuses taxpayers and creates a privelaged group of government workers. i believe in an article i read recently, they were saying that as the person is more educated, they have a better shot at earning more in the private sector vs public. brady is pretending all government workers are highly education sophisticated geniuses, thats far from the truth. they are also going to be your lowest performers. so when you take more specialized careers, the more skilled people go to the private sector while the least skilled go public sector. so they have lower salaries compared to private equals, but they really are the lower skilled among their peers.

for example, if you look at bradys comprehensive list he mentions doctors and pharmacists. how many doctors and pharmacists does the government employee compared to your average shmo paper pusher in a government desk job? ultimately, those more skilled jobs dont matter much when it comes to the overall average.
this is false. it's not higher than the "average equivalent private sector worker"

i know the studies you're referring to - they compare the average government worker salary and benefits to the average non-gov't worker salary and benefits.

i'm not using the typical government union/employee response, i'm using intelligence. the average government worker has higher level of education and typically requires a higher level of qualification for their jobs than the typical non-gov't employee.

the government actually employs many doctors and pharmacists. they employ many biologists and engineers. and when you get into the lower skilled jobs, they don't pay much.

but go ahead and continue to skew the facts to prove a false point. it's entertaining at least.

remember, 1.2 million people work for wal-mart and are part of the calculation in the non-gov't worker salary and benefits. that brings the average down.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
proof of what? we have all seen the numbers if we have done some research, so we know they are paid more and benefits are much more. now we have also heard the claims that its because they are more qualified, more highly educated, etc. thats not proof, thats just talk. but i guess if you are inclined to believe that way then you will accept a verbal response without proof over the numbers that are easily found.

brady's response is funny when you think about it. as if the millions of government employees are doctors and pharmacists that could be making more in the private sector. sure, there are specialized jobs; but mostly its an army of paper pushers and fake make work jobs that are very well paid compared to their paper pushing private sector counterparts.
the numbers you have seen are not what you're referring to. you're pretending that the studies compared equivalent jobs, which they didn't. avg gov't employee salaries and bennies compared to avg non gov't.

it's simple logic to realize every retail job in america is a non gov't job and pulls down the avg non gov't salary substantially.

the studies that look at similar jobs, like private security vs gov't security, will show that salaries and benefits are substantially higher in private. same with pilots. the military struggles to keep good pilots because they can make a fortune with a private airline.

keep dreaming though.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
you mean comparisons of the salary and benefits of government vs private sector? is this a joke? you do a simple google search and get plenty of results. here is one:

Chart of the Day: Federal Government Pay vs. Private Sector Pay | Mother Jones

a couple of important things to note (and ill be quick since its my bedtime, ill come back manana). 1. that chart doesnt seem to demonstrate that the vast majority of workers dont fall in the phd category in public or private sector. so while that may be where public is least compensated, i bet it makes up the smallest % of total workers. 2. i bet that a lot of the Phd's in the private sector work in jobs/companies where they actually add value. in the public sector, people get masters degrees and phd's in fields that are worthless and dont bring in revenue and/or they simply get the degrees because it bumps up their pay while basically doing the same job. so i doubt that in spite of them having the same level of education, that the public worker phd's are really equal to the private sector ones. of course, there are plenty of exceptions but im saying thats what you will find in most cases.
yes, PhDs at the CDC and NIH and DARPA are certainly worthless. What good is advanced knowledge in research positions?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Currently have over a million and a half active military. Many more reserves on those lists. You really think those numbers don't run up the costs?

Anyone with two kids in school is sucking down more tax dollars then they are putting in. So tax on the number of kids in school. I've been paying more tax to put others kids through school than for emergency services.
i have 2 kids, not in school yet. keep in mind though, 1 year in my town i had no kids, and paid school taxes. and it'll be 4 years before the kids are in school. i see what you're saying, but i'm not really sucking out substantially more than i put in, in aggregate.

and to make up for it, my neighbors produce about 5x the amount of trash i do.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm not using the typical government union/employee response, i'm using intelligence.
no, you are using the typical response. the basic idea is to try to use a logic that benefits your position so that people can ignore hard data. unfortunately, hard data doesnt favor your position.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
^sounds like some bitter ass bs, i cant take anyone who says govt workers are the new elite class seriously (unless they only mean politicians)
i dont believe his numbers at all
the most u can make at a fed job is 199k, u gotta be someone like a general for that tho
corporate people make millions, there is no comparison
what am i bitter about exactly?

im not really sure if i should answer you seriously. you really are way off the mark. nobody disagrees that legitimate opportunities for great wealth dont exist in the public sector as they do in the private. but that has nothing to do with what average comparable workers make. the average private sector worker isnt bringing in millions or anywhere near that.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
what am i bitter about exactly?

im not really sure if i should answer you seriously. you really are way off the mark. nobody disagrees that legitimate opportunities for great wealth dont exist in the public sector as they do in the private. but that has nothing to do with what average comparable workers make. the average private sector worker isnt bringing in millions or anywhere near that.
well no i meant the article sounds bitter, esp the title
but u are prolly bitter too cuz u keep hating for bs reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey